Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:33 PM

128 posts, read 444,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenoble_slopes View Post
West Virginia also has a high school graduation rate above the national average. HigherEdInfo.org: Public High School Graduation Rates
Supposed high culture states like CA and NY have lower graduation rates. Or go to practically any major city -- the graduation rates are pitiful.
That has more to do with the fact that it's easy to graduate high school in WV, than any other reason. Half of all Promise Scholarship recipients (3.0 gpa in high school - that's a B average over 4 years) plus a bare minimum on the act (what is it now, 20? 21?), end up taking at least one remedial class in college, and many of those end up taking more than one remedial class.

In short, half of all the students who qualify for free college tuition in wv, are not prepared academically for college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 03:28 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,317,255 times
Hasn't it always been that way...free tuition or not?
College should be free, period. A token investment in our kids, for our future.

What prepares people for life, is life...and it's a lifelong process to get there.

College is a communication tool...even the sex orgies and binge drinking has a place because it sets boundaries on social conduct.

I remember the 'Social Girl on our campus 40 years ago...was the daughter of a State Policeman...slept with hundreds of guys. In the cars between classes, nights, weekends...she was a very good looking blonde. But she keep a good notebook and she would tell you that if she got pregnant on 'Your Day that you were the lucky dad...ha ha how times have changed.

Now, nobody keeps records unless its a medical clinic...no one can remember who or how many they were with.

I wonder why it has taken so long for the City of Morgantown to crack down on indecent conduct..at least the parties with bikini clad hotties are not outside on the streets now and certainly not along University Ave. as they have been in the past
A tourism venue has been squashed. Hollywood has its tour of Stars homes, Mo-town could have toured Sunnyside for the 'binge parties...anyway...Football season will be here soon and it will all be cranked up to fever pitch...

If I were sending a kid to a college outside of my home area, I think I would put them on a very strict budget..that way, food, rent and gasoline would be taken care of and if they needed social money, they could take a part-time job to fund those (drug or booze) activities.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:13 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IveHadEnough View Post
If you could say what would be the worst or most negative thing of living in WV

The uneducated populace. By far.

West Virginians have the lowest rate of college degrees in the country.

Their ignorance seeps into every crevice of our society, and makes any real progress on any number of pressing issues, completely impossible.
W.V. ignorance seeping into every crevice and stopping social progress?
Sounds more powerful then day old moonshine!

Old 06-27-2009, 06:25 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,238,167 times
Quote:
... Half of all Promise Scholarship recipients (3.0 gpa in high school - that's a B average over 4 years) plus a bare minimum on the act (what is it now, 20? 21?), end up taking at least one remedial class in college, and many of those end up taking more than one remedial class.

In short, half of all the students who qualify for free college tuition in wv, are not prepared academically for college.
Those ratios are typical, so WV isn't behind in this area. At my college, about 50% of students must take at least one remedial course, about 30% have to take two, and about 15% need to take three.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:06 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,356 times
Quote:
Who said you had to go to Harvard? Yale? Wellesley? Just go to freaking WVU or Marshall. Or Fairmont, or any other college in the state. Don't accept the attitude that education is something for them thar' leeeberals. Try it. You might learn something. You might learn there's a helluva lot more to life, than doing it the way your grandpappy did.

A large portion of the state, feels that education isn't something important, because "my granpappy didn't have no schoolin' and he did alright by workin' in the mines." Of course, he died at 64 of a respiratory illness, but he didn't have black lung, the company doctor told him so.

The justifiable reason I don't fit in, is I'm zillions of times smarter than 99.99% of the people here, because I simply got an education.

How is it that a college educated person such as yourself would come to view the world as a cartoonish and one dimensional caricature? Doesn't sound like that degree elevated your thinking at all. You need to go back to that junior college and ask for your money back.
Could the attitude displayed in your final sentence have anything to do with your discomfort there?

Old 06-27-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
How is it that a college educated person such as yourself would come to view the world as a cartoonish and one dimensional caricature?
It's WV we are talking about. They've cornered the market on cartoonish and one dimensional.

I see it every day dealing with the public. You would too, if you just opened your eyes, or had a modicum of education.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Those ratios are typical, so WV isn't behind in this area. At my college, about 50% of students must take at least one remedial course, about 30% have to take two, and about 15% need to take three.
I'm not talking about the entire college enrollment. I'm only talking the Promise Scholarship recipients. If you just go by total enrollment, the numbers are higher, on the order of 60-70% taking one remedial class and close to 50% taking 2.

Ask a high school teacher in WV about grade inflation since the promise scholarship came into being. They'll tell you there is pressure to give the "B's" so the kids can get the promise scholarship.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:23 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Promise is b/s... I didn't get it and did not have to take one remedial course in my collegiate career. In fact remedial courses are a scam and a way for colleges to make a little extra money, that's a little known fact. College should be free, so far my parents have dumped about $45k into in total for my degrees. Higher education is pricing itself out of many of West Virginia families incomes. Either that or go 70-80k in debt.

DK, college wouldn't be the same without the booze and sex orgies... ha ha You learn so much more in college than just factual information. You learn so much more about life, and not to mention its a hell of a networking mechanism Parties are a great way of networking. Given I hope you understand that I'm joking about the sex orgy thing. But what goes on behind closed doors is their business I suppose. It's all a part of an individuals experience.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:54 PM

870 posts, read 1,570,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenoble_slopes View Post
West Virginia also has a high school graduation rate above the national average. HigherEdInfo.org: Public High School Graduation Rates
Supposed high culture states like CA and NY have lower graduation rates. Or go to practically any major city -- the graduation rates are pitiful.
That is true, but the stats for adults 25 and older with a high school degree is the lowest in the nation, as well as those with a college degree. I would also like to add that high school drop out rates are about average. I don't have the specific stats on that though.

It seems like the young people are graduating from high school, but many are leaving the state before the age of 25. I think that says about the economic conditions of the state.

Just recently I moved to the Washington, PA area because I grew tired of being underemployed in West Virginia. I am not too far from home, but I had to leave the state. In West Virginia it's tough because companies look at college graduation rates when looking to relocate to a place. But many of the educated West Virginians move to Pittsburgh, or Ohio, or the Carolinas for a successful life.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:14 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,908 times
Young people are often more liberal and often feel like they just don't fit in here at all, all of my friends that have moved have moved for that reason more than the economic conditions. That is probably what will be why I move too once I graduate. I want to be around other young, open minded, well educated people. Which just can't be found in WV to the degree I've experienced in other places.

Peoples attitudes play such a role in this, an attitude of regression rather than progression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia