Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:08 PM

300 posts, read 819,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spldcnd View Post
That sounds like ALOT of bears...but suppose you leave them be and don't happen across mother and cub, they're prob. like any other animal in the wild...
Not really fair to compare a bear to any other animal in the wild, except maybe wolves, because they too, can and will eat you while you're still alive and screaming. I have a pretty healthy respect for anything that can run 35mph (fastest human clocked at 27mph), eats meat, can push over a tree or tear through one like it was styrofoam, and has a sense of smell 250 times greater than humans. Between you and me, if it's time to go, mountain lions are a better pick, as they tend to kill their prey first, breaking the neck or crushing the skull, so it's over pretty quick.

Mint will attract bears (so you might want to leave the minty freshness toothpaste and mouthwash at home).
Bear Hunting Guides, Outfitters, Lodges, Camps offering Brown & Black Bear hunts in Alaska, Canada, Maine, Montana, New Mexico, Wyoming

State animal in New York is beaver. It's black bear in West Virginia. Florida people have pink flamingos in their yard, West Virginia people have painted board and metal bears in theirs (not kidding), usually three.

I try to avoid bears, bears try to avoid me. This has worked out pretty good so far. Bears communicate well enough to let you know they're around, pooh in the path, branches with fur, and they smell bad like wet dog. So if you're around berries and you smell a wet dog, a bear is probably sitting there looking at you, it's pretty simple really. In 2006, Kanawha County (City of Charleston is in Kanawha County), 106 bears were harvested during season, 17 were with a bow and arrow. Total of 1,705 that year throughout the state, so that's roughly 10% to 20% of the population during season?

Not an expert on anything, just sharing what I know. Besides a 700 pound bear somebody ran into with their car last year, I've only heard people with apple trees complain about them. Of course, if someone gets eaten, there isn't much complaining. Depending on where you're going, I'd be more concerned about wild boar than bear. Just doesn't sound right, being eaten by wild pigs.
Quote:
Think Safety – The farm yard pig is a far cry from a true wild boar! Many of these wild hogs are descended from true Wild Russian Boar and can be very dangerous, especially if there are young hogs around. The tusks are very sharp and the hogs are capable of vicious attacks! They have been known to rip the belly of a horse wide open with their sharp tusks. When hunting wild boar, make sure you have the ability to defend yourself instantly. Also, plan to take a buddy on your hog hunting trip. Avoid hunting alone.
West Virginia Hog Hunting, Wild Boar Hunting; Guides, Lodges, Outfitters, Camps, Free Information
Cheers.

Last edited by red.ochre; 06-22-2009 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 09:01 PM

38 posts, read 318,617 times
I moved to Randolph County in Oct and have seen one bear by the roadside in the boonies. Wait,,, Randolph county is the boonies...

If you move to this area (randolph county), you will encounter as a whole, not the friendliest people. Sad, but I figure most here have never been to civilization thus never learning to adapt to new experiences or different cultures. Very closed minded.

As far as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking -- Randolph County has your number! If you can handle the list of negs for this area, ask. You may be sorry if you move here blindly w/o asking.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:10 PM

128 posts, read 444,252 times
If you could say what would be the worst or most negative thing of living in WV

The uneducated populace. By far.

West Virginians have the lowest rate of college degrees in the country.

Their ignorance seeps into every crevice of our society, and makes any real progress on any number of pressing issues, completely impossible.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:06 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Well for me my #1 negative is how conservative the state can be. A little too intertwined with religion, sometimes it feels a little oppressive. If you're a liberal or intellectual you are viewed as a "whacko" and generally not respected.

#2 is a lack of a large city of our own. Cities have their pros and cons but I believe the pros outweigh the cons. They bring together diverse cultures, various venues of art, lots of young people, night life, etc. Apparently all the things I'm looking for

As far as bears are concerned. I myself have lived in Randolph County nearly my whole life aside from college. As someone earlier mentioned, it sort of is in the boonies. The Elkins area is decently populated in West Virginia terms but as far as a large metropolitan area, nope! Hopefully it stays that way! I can sort of see why he/she perhaps is receiving a negative vibe from people, but I think it has to do with their demeanor and and disposition. People in WV are very receptive and cordial, but easily pick up on rudeness.

Anyway, in my 20 something years in Randolph County I've only seen 3 bears in the wild. I've seen some poor unfortunate ones that were terrorized by hunters and killed, but only 3 naturally. I've never heard of a situation where a bear attacked a person or anything. They've killed a few of my grandpa's sheep but that's about it.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:16 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
Let me add a comment about bears...we have a lot of them in the parks because people feed them.
Smoke Hole has the 2 am bear parade every evening and nobody sees them...
They are docile and accept the summer intrusion of humans.
They are losing their wildness and sooner or later, somebody will get hurt.
I think they are the most intelligent wild animal we have.
I'm glad they are Black Bear and not the Grizzly. Those bear in Yellowstone give me the willies.

To comment on that poster about the Ignorance of Wv people:

Yes, by a large our people have not matriculated from Harvard, Yale, Wellesley or many other of the 'Loon Schools, but that does not rob them of an attitude of sharing, honesty, friendliness and a hard work ethic.
If you don't fit in, there might be a justifiable reason for that..think about it.

Last edited by David Kennedy; 06-23-2009 at 02:29 AM..

Old 06-23-2009, 03:30 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,171,437 times
If you are going to the central part of the state check out the New River bridge. And make sure you take the little narrow road that winds down under it, cross the river, and come up on the other side. There are some really nice pull offs where you can stop and take pictures and even walk out on rocks to get pics.
Hawks Nest state park isn't far away either. And then there is the Sutton Dam if you are interested in that. And Summersville Dam. Or you could drink from the artician well at Webster Springs. The water smells like rotten eggs but it is supposed to be good for you. lol
As far as moving there the people have a tendency to be kind of "offish' untill you earn their respect. Life is lived at a slower pace and it's kind of "live and let live" as long as you don't mess with anyone and the folks kinda expect eveyone to carry their own weight. But if you need help you will probably find them quicker to offer it than in most places. If you travel along a country road people just might wave at you as you go by.
W.va is a beautiful state. I have relatives there and try to go there a couple times every summer. I always look forward to the trip.
When I was a kid I walked all over the area known as Locust Stump. Close to where Rt 79 and Rt 19 intersect. The old road from Sutton known as Herold route crosses Rt 19 at the point that used to be known as the Low Gap. I never met a bear. Seen a lot of sign but never a bear in person. This area was all woods back then. When Rt 79 was built it landlocked the old home place of my Mothers family ancestors that had live there since before the Civil War. It was one of the most beautiful places on earth in my opinion. I still remember that place when my grandparents lived there and then my Mom's sister and her family. I have been in W.va at least twice a year for most of my 62 years. I never get tired of it. I'm retired and thinking how I would like to live out the rest of my life there. I did live there when I was very small. Sometimes I wish my parents could have stayed where they were born and raised and never came to Ohio. But the jobs were in Ohio and Dad went where the jobs were. I could have been happy living my whole life in W.va.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:01 AM

380 posts, read 1,160,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spldcnd View Post
That sounds like ALOT of bears...but suppose you leave them be and don't happen across mother and cub, they're prob. like any other animal in the wild...
You should carry a gun, just in case the bear or criminal decides to harass you.

In WV, which overall is still one of the most free states in the union, it is still legal to open carry a side arm and we have a 'shall issue' concealed carry law. Which means that if you are not disallowed, such as a felon or addict or convicted of domestic abuse, you just need to take an approved firearms class and pay for the permit.
Never leave home without it, unless of course you have to traverse one of the communist states like MD, NY, NJ or DC, the District of Crime.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:12 AM

108 posts, read 306,334 times
I've lived here for the last 11 years and have never seen a bear. I've heard stories but never seen one. Nor have I heard of any bear attacks or other problems.

The biggest negatives that I've come across are the roads and the healthcare. As previously mentioned the roads are pretty much designed for a time long past. They are narrow, winding and hilly. I've said it before, I don't think there's a single mile of flat, straight road in WV. Even the Interstates have to weave through the hills. But having said that, I figure, if that's my worst complaint then I'm doing pretty well! Healthcare, at least here in Taylor Co. is NOT good. Grafton has a hospital that everyone avoids going to to, most folks around here go up to Morgantown if you need anything more than aspirin.

I'm originally for CA, and so the humidity is VERY different but I've come to almost enjoy it, I love the thunderstorms it brings, and as long as I've got an airconditioned house to retreat to, I like sitting out on a warm muggy night and watching the heat lightning and fireflies.

The best part of WV for me is, it's quiet, peaceful and green. My neighbors are the nicest people I've ever met and have been since day one. I've run into a few yokels, but you run into them wherever you go, hey, maybe they're following me around!

Old 06-23-2009, 06:29 AM

246 posts, read 880,643 times
I'm in the woods all the time and have yet to see a bear. They are around but they are more afraid of you than you are of them. Just don't go near a cub. And don't feed them. And don't buy them alcohol.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:42 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IveHadEnough View Post
If you could say what would be the worst or most negative thing of living in WV

The uneducated populace. By far.

West Virginians have the lowest rate of college degrees in the country.

Their ignorance seeps into every crevice of our society, and makes any real progress on any number of pressing issues, completely impossible.
That's quite a leap you made, IHE, from a low rate of college degrees to ignorance.

Especially when you consider that Washington DC is at the other end of the scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia