Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:27 PM

88 posts, read 234,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
The topic isn't about people from developing nations settling in WV; it's about being a legal citizen regardless of where they're from.
Oh, that's noble.

Then how come none of the examples cited by some of the pundits on your thread here sound like this?

"Whilst driving upon route 50 the other morn, I spied a man of pale complexion working at a job site. From his hair color, I suspected him of being of German or perhaps Scandinanvian nationality. My suspicions aroused, I approached the job supervisor to enquire of this man's status to work legally in this country. After all, one would not want or rivals of the last world war, nor those infamous 'neutrals' settling here, having children and taking up our welfare -- welfare that we West Virginians are in such dire need of ourselves."

Yeah, it's just a political issue, riiiight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 07:56 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vells View Post
Then how come none of the examples cited by some of the pundits on your thread here sound like this? "Whilst driving upon route 50 the other morn, I spied a man of pale complexion working at a job site. From his hair color, I suspected him of being of German or perhaps Scandinanvian nationality. My suspicions aroused, I approached the job supervisor to enquire of this man's status to work legally in this country. After all, one would not want or rivals of the last world war, nor those infamous 'neutrals' settling here, having children and taking up our welfare -- welfare that we West Virginians are in such dire need of ourselves."

Yeah, it's just a political issue, riiiight.
If you're referring to descriptions of suspected illegals being olive/brown-skinned, dark-haired, and possibly of Mexican or Central American descent . . . well, most of them [right now] are. Are there any illegal Irish, Albanian, French, Polish or otherise Europeans in the area? Maybe but probably few if any. OTOH, the majority of experiences and problems people are experiencing personally are indeed from the aforementioned cultural groups.

Yes, some folks of this thread are being quite blunt about their opinions. But many of them are covering issues that are relevant (i.e.,illegals using schools and hospitals paid by taxpayers, etc.).

Old 12-03-2009, 08:13 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,704 times
I'm actually surprised to read that WV has illegal immigrants. I naively thought they were more or less confined to Texas, Florida, California, Arizona, etc.... not in WV.

I have to ask - and please don't blast me for this - are your groceries/household goods in Spanish as well as English there? Here (Texas) the products in the stores are in both languages. Lately I've been seeing bilboards in Spanish as well - more than I used to around here.

I guess the illegal immigrant problem must be more widespread than I originally thought.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
If you're referring to descriptions of suspected illegals being olive/brown-skinned, dark-haired, and possibly of Mexican or Central American descent . . . well, most of them [right now] are. Are there any illegal Irish, Albanian, French, Polish or otherise Europeans in the area? Maybe but probably few if any. OTOH, the majority of experiences and problems people are experiencing personally are indeed from the aforementioned cultural groups.

Yes, some folks of this thread are being quite blunt about their opinions. But many of them are covering issues that are relevant (i.e.,illegals using schools and hospitals paid by taxpayers, etc.).

Which further validates my point: why would someone from a developed, industrialized nation decide to go immigrate (legally or not) to West Virginia? As for those from developing nations, please see my original point about the relative standard of living not being much above the place that they left (or maybe worse, depending on how you look at it), which, I think, would be discouraging and maybe solve your hypothetical issue (I think that, factually, and compared to the rest of the country, you might want to ask yourself why WV has been "spared" this influx even during better economic times). Regarding welfare, I can see the point that West Virginians would be very protective of what they consider their own entitlements.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
I'm actually surprised to read that WV has illegal immigrants. I naively thought they were more or less confined to Texas, Florida, California, Arizona, etc.... not in WV.

I have to ask - and please don't blast me for this - are your groceries/household goods in Spanish as well as English there? Here (Texas) the products in the stores are in both languages. Lately I've been seeing bilboards in Spanish as well - more than I used to around here.

I guess the illegal immigrant problem must be more widespread than I originally thought.
There really aren't that many in WV -- at least the last time I visited (which was earlier this year), there aren't a bunch of non-english speaking establishments or a high influx of immigrants (of any status) -- it's just another excuse for people to find some political distraction to latch on to rather than trying to fix their state's abysmal education system. Not saying myself that illegal immigration isn't a problem in other parts of the country for a lot of reasons, it's just funny to watch people walk right up to the line of racism and then dance back away from it by calling it a political issue and claiming that they aren't racially stereotyping.

Know what West Virginia does have, though: awesome strip clubs.

Question for you folks who apparently have little better to do than drive by construction sites, stare at dudes, and try to guess whether or not they have a work permit in their wallets: if the Federal government started making work permits easier to get, converting many of the undocumented workers that you complain about into documented workers with valid visas, would you still run around job sites trying to figure out, ostensibly based on ethnicity, who has the right to work there or not?

Last edited by Vells; 12-03-2009 at 10:09 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 01:08 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
Funny you would ask....I'm a contractor...I pay a lot to the State of West Virginia to do my job...

When I see trucks and tool trailers from Ohio and Indiana with transient type people on domestic work sites I wonder about them.

We have a lot of work here in Wv and the word is out...If these people are licensed and working legally then we do not have a problem...

If they are breaking the laws of our land...then we do have a problem...

For your information, I was just passing by...but I'm seeing more and more of this and we do not have an army of inspectors here to keep them under control, get them licensed or prosecute...

Your excuse is like a 'butt hole...everybody has one...

Here in Wv, we have been in the habit of taking care of our own problems...and the Federal Government is more and more falling into the problem category...Obama being a case in point.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Funny you would ask....I'm a contractor...I pay a lot to the State of West Virginia to do my job...

When I see trucks and tool trailers from Ohio and Indiana with transient type people on domestic work sites I wonder about them.

We have a lot of work here in Wv and the word is out...If these people are licensed and working legally then we do not have a problem...

If they are breaking the laws of our land...then we do have a problem...

For your information, I was just passing by...but I'm seeing more and more of this and we do not have an army of inspectors here to keep them under control, get them licensed or prosecute...

Your excuse is like a 'butt hole...everybody has one...

Here in Wv, we have been in the habit of taking care of our own problems...and the Federal Government is more and more falling into the problem category...Obama being a case in point.
Really? Are you sure that's not just a cover story for cruising construction sites?

As far as WV not "needing" the Federal government -- isn't that what fuels the state's economy?

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-15747245.html

WV is notorious for using Federal programs for job creation, etc. How many of these "jobs" are from publically funded works? You're telling me that there's a big private sector construction boom in WV?
Riiight.

Of course, this "army of inspectors" you advocate would also be on the public sector payroll -- right? Which would require, dun, dun, dun: more FEDERAL funding for your state. Awesome.

Also, all I can say for people whose competition for jobs is from undocumented workers is: poor career choice, plain and simple.

Last edited by Vells; 12-04-2009 at 01:25 AM..

Old 12-04-2009, 05:09 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
First of all...What fuels this states economy is Coal Taxes (3 Billion Dollars per year) and gambling revenue (which is usually 3 billion, but has seen a downturn in recent collections).

Our shortfall this year was only 100 million and was cleared in our last legislative session.

We are one of a few states that are making our way in a Union of which many are going bankrupt from the welfare overload that has been imposed on them.

After reading your posts, I must say that you have 'not a frogs hair idea what goes on in this great state...
We are solid with investment...about 20 billion for this period...and a matching amount coming from the private sector. The roll over of that money puts 140 billion into our economy...and a future that is as bright as Alaska's was in 1970.

Could you move on to one of the more windy blogs and leave us to correct our problems in the same time worn manner we have been doing since the 1700's?

One more thing, our inspectors do a great job for very little money...

A supervisor friend after 20 years of 40+ hr weeks is not making more than 55k...

If you come here to Wv get ready to play by the written rules and obey the laws...

This is not California and I hope to God it never becomes anything like it.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:28 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,698 times
Quote:
Really? ...is from undocumented workers is...
That right there says all we need to know about you Vells. They are here illegally. Plain and simple. If you wish to bend over and accept them as equally entitled to the benefits paid by Americans, for Americans, perhaps you can pay them from your own pocket.

You PC jab at our identifying them as brown demonstrates the poverty of your stance. We here in WV do feel the need to hide behind the curtain of political stupidity. We call it as we see it. Certainly, the Asians are here, but it's the Mexican/Honduran/El Salvadorian types that cause 99% of the problems- and consequently the financial burden.

They are brown. They are illegal. We don't accept that trash.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:39 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,698 times
Quote:
I think the message some of you should convey, if you want to dissuade people from developing nations from settling in West Virginia, is that they should not expect to enjoy any higher standard of living there than the places they left.

Accurate?
Not at all. It's readily apparent you have little foreign experience. I have lived abroad for the better part of the last 20 years. The worst place here in the states is light years ahead of most of the planet.
Better yet, go to any other foreign country and demand they provide you documents in your native language, and provide you with food and medical services - for free. That they educate you children - in your native tongue, for free. And if they don't, riot in the streets, and burn your neighborhood. You'll find the business end of an automatic rifle pretty quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia