Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:02 PM

62 posts, read 389,739 times

Advertisements

[quote=robeau44;943580]Hi!

I have lived in White Plains for 19 years, and hopefully can give you some good insight about living and working here.

Firstly, if you are going to work in White Plains, you should DEFINITELY live in White Plains. I grew up and lived in N.Y City for 40 years, including Riverdale and Manhattan (Upper West Side) for 10 years.
The #1 reason that I moved to White Plains is that EVERYTHING that you need is within WALKING DISTANCE. You dont have to get into your car every time that you need a bottle of wine, tube of toothpaste, etc.

"Some friends have recommended Riverdale in the Bronx; but others have said that would be too dull and family-oriented for a single, mid-30s woman as I am."

DULL IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT! RIVERDALE IS ABSOLUTELY DEAD - YOU DONT WANT TO LIVE THERE!

"I suppose White Plains is also an option, but maybe I would languish from boredom there too...? I know I can't have it all; but would love to hear any comments as I weigh the options."

YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL, AND YOU WILL NEVER LANGUISH FROM BOREDOM IN WHITE PLAINS - take it from someone who lived in NY CITY for 40 years.

Downtown White Plains is the closest thing to Manhattan that you will find anywhere in Westchester and yet still have the feeling of a small city.
I live 3/4 of a mile from the heart of downtown White Plains and can walk to ALL OF THE FOLLOWING WITHIN FIFTEEN MINUTES:

WHITE PLAINS HOSPITAL - one of the BEST hospitals in the country.

METRO NORTH RAILROAD (a 20 minute walk or 5 minute bus ride)
where you can get an express train (non-stop) that will take you to Grand Central Station at 42nd Street in Manhattan in 34 MINUTES

"Another priority is being able to get into Manhattan for socializing".

EVERY KIND OF RESTAURANT IMAGINABLE, including
CHEESECAKE FACTORY, OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE, LEGAL SEAFOOD, APPLEBY'S
plus any FAST FOOD restaurant that you can think of plus MANY, MANY small and relatively inexpensive restaurants with virtually any kind of ethnic foods that you can think of.

A TON OF PUBS (mostly for a younger crowd) with outdoor seating located throughout White Plains.

A CITY CENTER with 15 MOVIE MULTI-PLEX and a THEATRE where you can see live shows and live music.

A FULL SERVICE GYM (Planet Fitness) where you can go to work out ANYTIME 7 days a week (including your lunch hour) for a $10-15 per month membership

SHOPPING AT TWO MAJOR MALLS with every store imaginable, anchored byMACY'S, SEARS, NORDSTROM & NIEMAN MARCUS. We also have a WALMART.

TWO MAJOR SUPER MARKETS (Whole Foods and Super Stop & Shop.

BORDERS BOOKS & MUSIC and BARNES & NOBLE BOOK STORE.

INEXPENSIVE MUNICIPAL PARKING LOTS LOCATED THROUGHOUT WHITE PLAINS. (for both short term & overnight parking)

THESE ARE JUST A FEW of the things that come to mind and remember
that I said ALL WITHIN A FIFTEEN MINUTE WALK of downtown White Plains.
The beauty is that all of this is concentrated in a small area. When you leave the 15 minute radius of downtown, the rest of White Plains is QUIET & GREEN.

You should have NO PROBLEM finding a "small 2 BR apartment" for under $3,000 withing this 15 minute walking radius of downtown White Plains.
RENTALS IN THE HIGH-RISE BLDGS in the heart of downtown White Plains
(Trump Tower, etc,) are expensive, but there are many other rentals to be found in CONDOS, CO-OPS, PRIVATE HOMES, ETC.

I would suggest that you look online at realtor.com for listings of rentals in White Plains.

Please feel free to contact me for any further information re White Plains.
I am on the Board of Directors of a Co-op, and know the city very well.

THIS IS DEFINITELY WHAT IS CALLED A "NO BRAINER".
IF YOU WORK IN WHITE PLAINS, YOU SHOULD LIVE IN WHITE PLAINS!!

Best regards and GOOD LUCK!

Rob

Hi Rob that was a great load of info You should be Mayor

I am looking at a move to Whitle Plains or surrounding area, i will be working in white plains, i will have my 16 year old son with me, how are the schools in whitle plains or is greenwich better

Also Rob, i will have a budget of 3.000 - 4000 for rental but dont want an appt , what can i get for that budget

Thanks in advance

anna maria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 08:44 PM

36 posts, read 252,573 times
Default Riverdale parking

How can all of riverdale be hard to find parking?

Old 10-07-2007, 10:28 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
I've always been able to find parking spots in North Riverdale. The parking around the apartments off of Johnson ave seems a little bit crowded though.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 7,864 times
Hi all, my husband and I are moving to White plains for the summer, he is going to work there and I won't, so I wanted to know if there are things for me to do there or if it will be better for me to live in Manhattan and make him commute everyday to work. The thing is that we will be there just for 10 weeks, and then come back to Evanston, IL that is were we live, and I will be there alone and want to keep me busy during the day. Thanks, any info will be appreciated.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:56 PM

47 posts, read 217,066 times
I think you should live in White Plains, I don't think it's boring at all, and it's super easy to get into the city from there.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:00 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariana1980 View Post
Hi all, my husband and I are moving to White plains for the summer, he is going to work there and I won't, so I wanted to know if there are things for me to do there or if it will be better for me to live in Manhattan and make him commute everyday to work. The thing is that we will be there just for 10 weeks, and then come back to Evanston, IL that is were we live, and I will be there alone and want to keep me busy during the day. Thanks, any info will be appreciated.
This is like asking "My husband will be working in Fontainbleau (Paris commuter suburb) for 10 weeks. Should we live there or in Paris and reverse commute?"

10 weeks will go by in a flash, so it's a no brainer. It all depends on what you like to do. What are YOUR interests and what do you do now? Do you venture to downtown Chicago from Evanston? Do you actually go to galleries, events, museums, buy stuff in small boutiques, and enjoy city energy? If so then live in in Manhattan. If your lifestyle is more suburban, home and mall oriented then live in White Plains. FWIW, I happen to love Chicago, it's a truly great city. BUT, it doesn't have 1% of the raw energy of NYC.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:53 AM

701 posts, read 3,324,801 times
Truthfully, you may want to live in White Plains for the convenience of your husband's commute. You can easily hop a 30 minute train into Manhattan often, several days per week. And there is plenty to do in and around Westchester and White Plains, including "rural" options you don't get in the city. But if you do stay in Westchester, make sure you have access to a car.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,182 times
Default Parking

Goodday Anna

I am moving to white plains. I have parking for my car, but i have a company car that i use to service veterans around New York State.
can you tell me what is the best way to find parking for my company car for overnight and weekends

I am lost here.

Thank you

Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,576 times
Default Read

If u live in white plains ny STOP an read this .....your local police officers are having a fundraiser to strengthen community programs an the pba ...our division 1center has been instructed to issue out PBA sponsorship cards and police stickers to anyone one who donates at lest $50.00 you can visit our site [url]www.whiteplainspba.com[/url] or you can call 19142020513 n ask for Elizabeth ........

Old 01-08-2013, 03:31 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,860 times
um if you just wanna socialize then White Plains obvious choice + you work there
Take the metro Blue line 20 mins you are in Grand Central.
Park your car in the parking lot that the city provides

As for work life depends which company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County