Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 07:41 AM

8 posts, read 12,681 times

Advertisements

We're a mid-thirties couple with 9 month old twins. We found a house we like in Mohegan lake, but we're afraid it may be hard for us to fit in up there!

We're a little crunchy, liberal, and artsy. We don't mind differing political views, but we would hope to be able to find some like minded people. Most important would be families with young children.

Please let me know what you may know about this area!

(we are also looking in cortlandt manor)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 06:31 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendmemedia View Post
We're a mid-thirties couple with 9 month old twins. We found a house we like in Mohegan lake, but we're afraid it may be hard for us to fit in up there!

We're a little crunchy, liberal, and artsy. We don't mind differing political views, but we would hope to be able to find some like minded people. Most important would be families with young children.

Please let me know what you may know about this area!

(we are also looking in cortlandt manor)
Visit playgrounds. Maybe the local elementary school has some end of year event where you can walk around and mingle with the parents. That's the best way to figure out if there are enough (or any) crunchy, liberal artsy people!

Old 06-24-2014, 10:29 AM

2,210 posts, read 2,154,963 times
You will have no problem fitting in. I have two school age children and live in Cortlandt Manor. There are lots of "earthy crunchy" people up here. Peekskill has some great places to hang out, but livign in cortlandt Manor or Mohegan (same schools mostly) you get better schools and its only a 15 minute drive to go catch a good show or hang out in a good bar with good music. The area is filled with people with young children. My two children day-cared at "The Learning Experience" on Route 6 next to the CVS. You can not miss it driving through town. My son who is now 6 is best friends with the twin boys he met there 4 years ago and still has a dozen friends who he has known since he was 2. Now some of my closest friends are my children's parents, whom we binded with easily.

Look at cortlandt Manor too, lots of good houses. If you want to knwo anything about any specific locations in either place, let me know.

The area is probably best described as locally progressive and conservative at the national level. both towns have strong local democratic parties, but both have had both democratic and republican officials in the last decade in the state and in the US House.

The activities for young kids are azaming. Lots of great parks and play groups all over. Plus, it is VERY safe. I barely lock my door when I go out. I live on a dead end street with a park and my 6 and 8 year old play in the park with their friends unattended every day. Groups of kids with 15 - 20 kids are there every day. This area is simply wonderful for young parents. We bought here before we had kids and now we are so glad that we did.

If you want to come to an event and meet other people with young kids, let me know. My neighborhood association hosts summer outdoor movie nights where we show family movies (lots of recent and classics - Goonies is first on the summer list next weekend). You are welcome to drop by and talk to people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County