Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:07 AM

151 posts, read 605,106 times

Advertisements

Actually the schools Bad rep. is from its history, not current data. Its definitely on the move up. Sure it will have trouble competing with the likes of Katonah Lewisboro with its wealthy elite, or Fox Lane where parents buy their kids (never mind that one) but it has turned out Pro Ball players, Actors and many many great members of the community.

Other than that, your comments are spot on. Yes, Fire Works on the river and the concerts in the park!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 08:02 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,740 times
why does everybody love Peekskill?

'Cause it's the only place in Westchester that's remotely affordable?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 21,231 times
dma, your entitled to your opinion, as we all are. But I have a question for you. Do you live in Peekskill? Because I find most of the people who "love" Peekskill so much, do not live there. I lived in the main artery of Peekskill for 8 very long years, and I know the true flavor of the city.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:19 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvnygal View Post
dma, your entitled to your opinion, as we all are. But I have a question for you. Do you live in Peekskill? Because I find most of the people who "love" Peekskill so much, do not live there. I lived in the main artery of Peekskill for 8 very long years, and I know the true flavor of the city.
No, I live aprox 10 minutes away. I go there almost every weekend. My son and I go to the riverside park to hang out and walk on the peir, or we go to Downing Park to play and to walk into Blue Mountain Reservation. Then we go to the cofee house to listen to live music. We also go to the farmers market and of course to many of the restaurants and to the Paramount for movies and music. I'm sure living there is different, but we do have plenty of friends who live there and indeed love it.

Having grown up and lived most of my life in Brooklyn I am not phased by a large minority underclass. I used to live next to section 8 housing with a very lively drug traffic. It certainly has it's downsides! But it does not damn the whole area or--in this case--the whole town. The "true flavor" that you speak of is just one of the many flavors in Peekskill. And that's why I love it--unlike a fake "city" like White Plaines, it has many dimensions and many layers. I left the city to get peace, quiet, and natural beauty--but when I miss the vibrancy of the city, I head to Peeksill (or the city).

Old 11-18-2008, 03:04 PM

95 posts, read 431,409 times
Default Peekskill Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvnygal View Post
While a relatively recent one, I am a Peekskill resident and I would second dma's comments. I also live very close to what I would think are the city's "main arteries," which simply means that I can walk to most of the things that I think are nice about the town. While it may have some of the issues of any semi-urban area, it has so many wonderful things to recommend as well and, moreover, I like that Peekskill is not a homogeneous community as is much of Westchester. In addition, Peekskill has most of the amenities that the surrounding communities have and it is more affordable.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:31 AM

151 posts, read 605,106 times
@dma1250

Be sure to check out Marc Vo Em this Friday the 21st at the Peekskill Coffee House. I thoroughly enjoy his music! Marc Von Em - Official Web Site

Old 12-27-2008, 10:43 PM

406 posts, read 1,360,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx168 View Post
I've found an honest mechanic (Superior),
thanks for the tip.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 10,979 times
Hello- I have lived in the area my whole life. I can answer this question 100% accurately. To be clear- I grew up in Cortlandt Manor (which way back when, about 10 years ago, had the address as Peekskill. They literally to this day use the same post office. Then the people in Cortlandt Manor decided they wanted their own address because their school district was better. So, the Peekskill Post Office is now 1/2 Peekskill and 1/2 Cortlandt Manor.)

Anyway- as a married man with 2 children I would NEVER send my children to the Peekskill School District. It is horrible. Many of our friends drive their kids to St. Augustines in Ossining instead of attending Peekskill School District.

As a person who commutes to New York City every day for the past 19 years, I don't recomend moving anywhere further north than Croton On Hudson (which is where I live now). I finally moved this past March and my commute is sooo much better. Because of all the express trains into Croton it's better. I tried the Peekskill thing and the Cortlandt Manor thing, but the Croton Train Station rocks- so I ended up driving from Cortlant Manor House to the Croton Harmon Station for the past 10 years. The difference is when sitting at your desk and commuting to Croton, you can just get up and catch a train- there is always a train within 15 minutes of getting to Grand Central. Cortlandt and Peekskill- you have to watch the clock- only 1 every 1/2 hour.

Peekskill is run down. There are beautiful streets. But, there is a run down street 1 block away from every nice street. It is very inner-city. Mod cut: hate speech
The crime is not bad, but it is run down and making beautiful renovations to your house don't do you any good if the house is run down next door.

I have lived in Cortlandt Manor my whole life until March. It's nice and my 12 year old flurished in the school district, but you have to drive everywhere and the commute sucks to manhattan.

By the way- Lake Peekskill is 100% well water and the commute sucks. They always loose electricity in the winter. Mod cut: offensive it is a little bit hickey with people that never want to go into manhattan- like seeing a broadway show is not a cultral event but a hard ship.

I hope this helps!
Remodeling

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-30-2008 at 09:01 AM..

Old 12-30-2008, 08:56 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,835 times
Mod cut: orphanedFirst off, the majority of the kids you refer to are US citizens--you are a citizen if you are born here, regardless of your parents' legal status. What you really mean is that they are Latino. The diversity of Peeekskill's population and the `mix of beautiful streets and run-down ones is part of what I love about it. It has grit and spunk and vibrancy, unlike most Westchester towns.

As far the schools go, they have improved dramatically over the last few years. There is a huge new middle school (I think) that was just built. The school system has a great collaboration with the area art instutions and there is an an excellent art curriculum. No, the test scores are not nearly as good as most Westchester schools, and it would certainly not be my number one choice, but it is a fine district that is working hard to improve.

I do agree on the commuting issue. Croton-Harmon is by far the best commute around. I drive to the station from Yorktown and it is a very easy commute. There are loads of otptions and you never need to wait long for a train in rush hour.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-30-2008 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: Orphaned information: deleted from quoted post

Old 03-19-2009, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 8,946 times
Peekskill is your typical upstate ny town. Dumpy but surrounded by nature. So thats one pro and one con. Aside from a couple of nice eating places downtown, a gallery, a coffee shop, and the Paramount theatre, i wouldnt go walking around at night. The "waterfront" is not much better. But hey, you always have indian point nuclear plant right there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County