Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 06:43 PM

217 posts, read 821,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
If you want cheaper, nice areas of Westchester look into Eastchester or perhaps Pelham, although Pelham borders both Mount Vernon and New Rochelle so you have ghetto spillover. Eastchester is really popular with Italian people. A lot of the Italian people fleeing the East Bronx, like Morris Park, Throggs Neck, and Country Club move up to Eastchester. The school system in Eastchester is pretty good there and the town is also nice. The co-ops on Garth Rd in Eastchester are really nice (and somewhat affordable) and they are right next to downtown Scarsdale.

Eastern Yonkers is really nice, but the high school is no good. Some of the grade schools are decent but it depends. Same problem with White Plains and New Rochelle in that there are nice neighborhoods there, but the schools are an issue.
We have no kids so that's not a problem. I found several places in New Rochelle near the country club near the water that appeared nice. Aside from the places I mentioned above, it seems to be hit or miss in the more affordable places lik Mt Vernon/New Rochelle, etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 21,136 times
About where to live in Yonkers...Yonkers is actually many cities in one, with distinct areas. It is easy to say that east Yonkers is nicer (near Bronxville) yet that gives short shrift to some lovely neighborhoods on the westside that are close to the Hudson River and Hastings, NY. There is a huge development project underway by the Yonkers Pier area..lots of highrises coming, upscale restaurants already there and so on. The proximity to Grand Central (22 minutes) will help to make it even more attractive in a few years as renovation and building is completed.
Southwest Yonkers has the largest concentration of crime, and yet for a city its size, Yonkers is safer than most others. There is a great deal of shopping on Central avenue, a wonderful museum (Hudson River Museum) and many parks (Tibbetts...trails, small lakes and a HUGE swimming pool) and Untermyer Park..lovely gardens..on the National Regiter of Historic places.
Unfortunately, Yonkers is also known for its political shenanigans and this has, in the past, held progress back. The desegregation battle here in the mid-eighties altered the school system dramatically; there was white flight, if not from the city itself, from the school system. Depending on the school, today, the system is fine. There are a myriad of services and I'd say elementary is more than satisfactory. Middle school is the weak link in the system, but w/ money saved on housing, many people choose one of the many excellent private and Catholic schools in the area after a child leaves elementary school.

ps Yankee stadium is 20 minutes by subway..leaves you right there! Same time by car, but getting home is a huge hassle w/ the traffic!

Old 07-24-2007, 01:32 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Quote:
Southwest Yonkers has the largest concentration of crime, and yet for a city its size, Yonkers is safer than most others
That means absolutely nothing. Avoid Southwest Yonkers. Area is a dump. Yonkers Housing Authority buildings along with HUD sites scattered around.

The rest of Yonkers is okay though.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 32,402 times
Do not live in YONKERS! I currently work there and it is to say the least depressing. Check out further north like Dobbs Ferry, Ossining, Grystone or Tarrytown. It may be a little bit more expensive, but it is worth it!
The Metro North makes stops all along the Hudson going this direction (Green Line or Hudson Line).

Old 08-07-2007, 03:26 PM

217 posts, read 821,888 times
Thanks for all your help. I found a nice 3 bedroom in Yonkers in the Park Hill neighborhood. It's REALLY nice.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:23 AM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times
Default Moving to Yonkers

I am moving to the Southeast area of Yonkers. I have found an apartment on Bronx River Rd. I am situated in between the Fleetwood & Mt. Vernon West Metro North stations. Which station should I take at night? Also, does the Bee Line buses run along Bronx River Road? Will it stop at either station? How much is the Bee Line bus fee? Is this area of Yonkers called Southeast Yonkers or Fleetwood? Thanks very much for your feedback

Old 08-18-2007, 09:04 PM

25 posts, read 120,808 times
I would suggest using the Fleetwood station at night. Mount Vernon West is iffy, even during the day. You exit, through a seculed waiting area and have to walk down a lonely passageway. The only plus is that there are usually cabs available. However, I'm not sure how late they are available. Fleetwood is safer.

Beeline buses do run along Bronx River Road, but very slowly (about once an hour). They stop at about 6:30 p.m. There is no service on this line (#26) on Sundays. They do stop near the train stations. In the morning (weekdays) they start to run at about 7 a.m. However, there are other Beeline buses, including one that runs on Yonkers Avenue (#7). I guess it would not help you get to the train station, since it doesn't run on Bronx River Road, just closeby.

Beeline buses now accept MTA's Metrocard. You can add money or purchase a monthly for $76 per month. I believe fares are still $1.75. Beware, the buses no longer accept dollar bills. All cash fares must be in coins. I know it's insane...

Btw, the neighborhood is I believe still considered Southeast Yonkers. Although it is close to Fleetwood.

Good luck

Btw, if you like pubs check out Burkes. I've heard they have good food. Also, Bronxville is nice and closeby. On Yonkers Ave, the Argonaut diner is also suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubBR View Post
I am moving to the Southeast area of Yonkers. I have found an apartment on Bronx River Rd. I am situated in between the Fleetwood & Mt. Vernon West Metro North stations. Which station should I take at night? Also, does the Bee Line buses run along Bronx River Road? Will it stop at either station? How much is the Bee Line bus fee? Is this area of Yonkers called Southeast Yonkers or Fleetwood? Thanks very much for your feedback

Old 08-19-2007, 01:53 AM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times
Very helpful

Old 11-20-2007, 10:58 AM

10 posts, read 42,909 times
Move out of Westchester up to Dutchess you will get more for your money and less in taxes, while also safer than some areasin Westchester. Eastchester very expensive.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:00 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Doing this will also mean you'll end up living in the middle of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine View Post
Move out of Westchester up to Dutchess you will get more for your money and less in taxes, while also safer than some areasin Westchester. Eastchester very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County