Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,322 times

Advertisements

I currently live in manhattan and work in white plains. My husband and I are getting ready to make the move to the suburbs and want to buy a house in a good school district for our kids to be. He will take the train into the city for work and I would like to live very close to my office in white plains. What are the best towns to live in? Public education is important to us, although have heard about the snobbery and competitiveness in the westchester schools. We don't care about social status, just want a nice place to live (culture, close to city, close to outdoors, friendly community). Were thinking $700 k as the high end of our range. What are some goods towns to look at? Best among pleasantville, chappaqua, rye, scarsdale, larchmont?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 05:52 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,740 times
Why not White Plains itself? The schools are decent and not snobby as the towns you list, and the taxes are lower.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:06 PM

395 posts, read 1,618,442 times
There are nice neighborhoods in North White Plains that are in the Valhalla school district which is smaller and rated higher than WP city, but does not have the ultra competitive reputation. Pleasantville is going to be more expensive with less inventory in your range but really great school district and wonderful overall community (easy 15 - 20 min drive to WP). You may also want to look in the Hawthorne/Thornwood area which may have more in your range, still with a solid school district.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:32 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,465 times
In the neighborhoods that you mentioned, the school districts are all excellent. There are others such as the river towns: Hastings, Dobbs ferry, ect. There are all kinds of ways to rank & evaluate school districts, so you have to figure out what is important to you.

Your price point may be a bit low for some of the neighborhoods you listed (though with the slump... you will be able to find better than you would have a year ago).

As for social status... I personally haven't noticed the stereotypes that people mention so often.

I'd say the important thing to look at, since you both work, is the proximity to the train (which makes the areas a bit different than what you'd think) and SCHOOL BUSES. Rye does not provide bus service. You have to think about how your kids are going to go to school & home (walking? will you be there? nanny? ect).

You need to start going to open houses & find a real estate agent. Larchmont sounds like a good place for you to start looking, I think the price range and the proximity to the train are strong points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County