Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:27 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantseasons View Post
Quilterchick- Thanks for the info! It was very reassuring! We are visiting soon, everyone says you really just have to get a "feel" for the small towns. We are really looking forward for the next phase in our life!

Booya- thank you for understanding my concerns!

Lovely areas w/in good proximity to "the city" for you could be:

Mills River

Etowah/Horseshoe

Flat Rock

Laurel Park

Fletcher

Some parts of Edneyville, Fruitland, Dana (lots of apple orchards)

Traverse these routes out of Hendersonville like "spokes" on a wheel:

Rt. 25 north and south

Rt. 191 from the Rt. 25 split in H'ville to Rt. 280 (part of it splits off at 280 and jogs down to Bent Creek, and ultimately into Asheville

Rt. 280 itself goes pretty much east and west and will traverse Mills River on each side of 280

Rt. 64 goes east and west thru "the city" thru Laurel Park out to Etowah and west to Brevard, east out to Lake Lure via Edneyville etc.

I-26 is the interstate and very accessible from just about any of the above routes as well.

(When you get off I-26 at 64 going into Hendersonville, that is called Four Seasons Blvd. where all the fast food places are and a small but neat mall. That is NOT downtown Hendersonville. Not sure where you are staying, but if you DM me I can give you a few good recommendations of where or where not to stay.)
Have fun ! and keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 05:13 PM

29 posts, read 61,387 times
Are there any "bad" sections of Hendersonville or Flat Rock?

Old 05-21-2011, 06:53 AM

The only area would be around 7th Av. in the city itself; some problems over there, take a ride through there from Lowe's west into the city. Areas at the ends of 4th and 5th Av. as well. Every City has it's low points. But all in all Hendersonville is 99% grade A. Flat Rock (the Village itself) is lovely and pricey. Don't think of it as "Hendersonville", that is the city. Think Henderson County which takes in most of the areas I mentioned in a a previous post. I am sending you a DM>

Old 04-27-2015, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,351 times
wewantseasons - I am reading this and realizing that it was back in 2011 - did you ever move to the mountains? Our young family (1 yo & 3 yo) are looking to move to Brevard and have the same concerns - I'd LOVE to hear your experience if you did move!

Old 04-27-2015, 05:44 PM

496 posts, read 552,842 times
This is probably more of an issue for young people looking for mates. Personally, and speaking as someone who is heading into the white-haired category, I would think families would find the presence of older people rather reassuring. They aren't likely to be raising Cain in the town, breaking into your home, setting up meth labs in your development, etc. I have visited Hendersonville/Flat Rock several times, and the biggest issue with the Oldpeople (all one word, separate human species, doncha know ) seems to be their pokey driving on the 2-lane roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noctiluca View Post
HI met someone from there who said he was relieved to come to Asheville because he had "forgotten that hair comes in any color other than white." S.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:38 AM

29 posts, read 61,387 times
I did move to hendersonville, edneyville area...very quiet and peaceful.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:15 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,535,676 times
Hendersonville has one of six NC high schools rated in the top 1000 by U.S. News. Hendersonville has a downtown that is thriving. It has more grocery stores than any town of its size that I know of. Property taxes are cheap. It has golf communities, a really nice public pool, great weather, low property prices. Close to Asheville and Greenville, and better Winter weather than communities above/on US 40.

There are lots of retired people. Flat Rock's median age is 64. Subdivisions similar to Kenmure may have a higher mean age.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:17 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,535,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by az2010 View Post
Are there any "bad" sections of Hendersonville or Flat Rock?
Live West of 26.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Live West of 26.

C'mon "mlhm5", you can drop the elitist stuff. There is much more population west of I-26; but that does not mean that there is anything "bad" about being east of I-26. Crossing over Rt. 64 from east to west, however, can be challenging at certain times of the day, and in tourist season.

There are many beautiful homes out east, and nice agricultural farms owned by local native growers. Most of our apple crop comes from farms along Rt. 64 East. There are some nice smaller subdivisions out there as well, and that is the route to get to Lake Lure. Sure there are some shabby looking mobile home parks out there, but I don't think the OP is looking to buy in one of those.

There is poverty everywhere in the south and it doesn't mean that poor folks are criminals either. Definitely no po' folks in the Kenmure subdivision. You may recall there was even a murder in Kenmure a few years back. You may also be enlightened to know that there are mobile home parks and some pretty shabby neighborhoods in Flat Rock also.

There not many subdivisions out Rt. 64 E, however, a few here and there. Means nothing, except that people are working hard to conserve their beautiful land and their pretty mountain views. We always suggest that people considering relocation make a few visits and do some meaningful research, before moving anywhere; and drive around to the areas other than where the Realtors take them.

Hope you are enjoying your new location in Oregon, beautiful scenery.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:25 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,874,865 times
Hendersonville like many mountain communities is interlaced with old and new money then their is their lower middle income "help" many falling into lower income precipitated by health, addictions, and self imposed squaller ( poor living conditions). Most people here regardless of status are good people and help form a diverse community . We are relative newcomers and see Hendersonville as a fairly well zoned town considering it's growth and need for amenities ,which have been placed within reach by a excellent extention of 64 east with its wide access that satisfies traffic flow. We do find many retail businesses to be extremely expensive and relegating us to window shopping as if they were museums instead of affordable merchandize . The food here is outstanding and diversified as are the coffee shops. We ate at the Cornacophia in Cashiers this weekend two bowels of potato soup and a scoop of corned beef top with an egg for $36 ( with tip) no drinks ,which was an ouch! Typically throughout the mountains the cost of living ,entertainment and services are high end generally. We are paying $1860 mo. rent for a three bedroom place while waiting to purchase a four bedroom home a double ouch! We fell in love with this town many years ago and believe it's as close to heaven as your going to get.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina