Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 07:13 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenJim View Post
I did look into Tryon and Travelers Rest a little bit. It looks like the population of Tryon and Landrum are very small, so I'm assuming not much of a downtown. Travelers Rest is a little bigger, and it wouldn't be too far from Greenville, so that's a possibility. A friend of my husband's likes Clemson, SC a lot, but it's not too large, and I've read a couple times that the University is part of town, and the students' rowdiness can often detract from the quaintness. Thanks for bringing up those other towns - maybe we'll look into Travelers Rest. We'll still keep Black Mountain on our radar too.

HelenJim,

Here is a good website explaining the climate in/near Asheville. Remember, as you go south, out of the elevation of the mountains, the temps and humidity are higher. There are other if you Google 'micro-climates in Western North Carolina' that will also be helpful in your decision making process.

WNC Weather and Climate Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 10:36 AM

142 posts, read 176,410 times
Thanks for that QuilterChick. I know I would be considerably happier with the temps there than in Chicago. We're considering making a trip to visit the Asheville and Greenville areas in January or February. If not then, then next summer.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:14 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Thanks for that QuilterChick. I know I would be considerably happier with the temps there than in Chicago. We're considering making a trip to visit the Asheville and Greenville areas in January or February. If not then, then next summer.

You are very welcome; summer would be best. July or August has the highest temps, see how you feel here in those months.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:44 PM

Quilter Chick, I just now saw your post from yesterday, talking about Travelers Rest and the Greenville area; thanks for that. I am not so much worried about July and August - we have hot, humid summers in Chicago, which I am fine with. I worry about the cold, so maybe we should visit during colder months. I have to say I am very impressed with how many people post information to help others! I hope I can help someone in the future.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:54 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
If you live at 3K feet, which you can easily do in either Flat Rock or Hendersonville, you will never see 90F, nor will you see bugs. I really do not see much difference in the Winter weather. At 3K feet in Flat Rock it rained while Asheville had snow.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:07 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
If you live at 3K feet, which you can easily do in either Flat Rock or Hendersonville, you will never see 90F, nor will you see bugs. I really do not see much difference in the Winter weather. At 3K feet in Flat Rock it rained while Asheville had snow.
No you can't. Neither is above 3,000 feet. Only small portions of the far northeast, northwest and southwest portions of Henderson County have elevations above 3,000 feet.

Hendersonville had 15 days above 90 degrees this past summer.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:09 AM

Sooo... Is Hendersonville far enough south from Asheville to make it a little bit warmer?? I just think close to Asheville will be too cold. I think Arden is out if it's much smaller than Hendersonville. Would Travelers Rest give us good views of the mountains?

Old 11-23-2015, 11:20 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Sooo... Is Hendersonville far enough south from Asheville to make it a little bit warmer??
The average high temp in Hendersonvile in January and February is 1 degree more than Asheville. Not enough difference to notice.

Quote:
I just think close to Asheville will be too cold. I think Arden is out if it's much smaller than Hendersonville. Would Travelers Rest give us good views of the mountains?
You can find a view of the mountains around Travelers Rest, but they will be very far in the distance.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:49 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Sooo... Is Hendersonville far enough south from Asheville to make it a little bit warmer?? I just think close to Asheville will be too cold. I think Arden is out if it's much smaller than Hendersonville. Would Travelers Rest give us good views of the mountains?
I've lived in both travelers rest and Arden. I think if you want warmer travelers rest could be a good option for you. It's typically 10-15 degrees warmer. The actual downtown has really grown in the last years and is getting really nice. There are several good restaurants now. Our house had a view directly of Paris mountain and another house we almost bought looked north to the nc border with views. It's not going to be the "in the mountains" type views but you can see the ridges.

Based on what I've read I really don't think you want Arden. It's really just an Asheville suburb with almost identical weather. Every once and a while it's a few degree warmer or we get rain while they aren't but it's not a different climate like Greenville.

This was from our house in travelers rest....

Last edited by saucystargazer; 11-23-2015 at 12:06 PM..

Old 11-23-2015, 01:08 PM

Oh, that's a nice view - thanks for sharing! Ok, so I think we'll plan to go see the Asheville/ Black Mountain / Hendersonville, and also the Greenville area, probably focusing on Travelers Rest. I'm excited to go check out these places!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina