Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 06:33 PM

142 posts, read 176,410 times

Advertisements

Saucystargazer (or anyone else), do you know anything about Cliffs Valley golf community just north of Travelers Rest? We found a house there that looks really interesting, but we don't know anything about that area. Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 05:13 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
^^^ Click on Communities

Private Luxury Communities South and North Carolina | Cliffs Living

Old 11-24-2015, 06:15 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Have a casual friend in Walnut Cove, near Asheville, a sister community to Cliffs Valley and the Cliffs set of golf communities. Chased the ball once at Cliffs Valley and at few other Cliffs 'sister communities'...

They are upscale, low density, golf and additional activities oriented communities that bumped into difficult times during the downturn, but survived and are still going.

All are gated communities and not 'next door' to shopping, but usually not too remote by area standards.

I do not recall if golf is separate, but I am quite certain one can buy a lot or home without the golf initiation and yearly dues, which are not for the slim pocketbook, from fading memory.

Living in one community, (there are social dues IIRC), allows one to partake in some activities in other sister communities. Upscale is the theme, though not quite as far fetched as they were back in the pre-2009 debacle.

As QC linked, study their web site, give them a call for info, fees, et al and put some feet on the ground in the area(s) you are interested in, imo.

And, the OP could have easily started their own thread on the Cliffs, et al topic and posted an original thread in the SC forum, maybe GSP/Spartanburg area sub forum, just as a suggestion. //www.city-data.com/forum/green...rtanburg-area/
GL, mD

Old 11-24-2015, 07:48 AM

Thanks for that guys. I do have an email in to Cliff Valley. While the house looks so much like what we're looking for, there is the concern that we'll have to drive at least to Travelers Creek fairly often for restaurants/shopping. I am not finding homes closer to Travelers Rest with good mountain views, so this community was being closer to NC seemed like better opportunity for views. Motordavid, you're right, I should hop onto a SC forum for keeping threads "clean." I'm new to these forums, so didn't even think of that! We will be going to visit the area once or twice in the next 6 - 8 months, I'm sure. Thanks!

Old 11-24-2015, 04:21 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenJim View Post
Thanks for that guys. I do have an email in to Cliff Valley. While the house looks so much like what we're looking for, there is the concern that we'll have to drive at least to Travelers Creek fairly often for restaurants/shopping. I am not finding homes closer to Travelers Rest with good mountain views, so this community was being closer to NC seemed like better opportunity for views. Motordavid, you're right, I should hop onto a SC forum for keeping threads "clean." I'm new to these forums, so didn't even think of that! We will be going to visit the area once or twice in the next 6 - 8 months, I'm sure. Thanks!
Yo will be about a 20-30monute drive to grocery stores and shopping. You can either go to Hendersonville NC or travelers rest/greer. There's not much between the two.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:45 AM

It is not a piece of cake getting in and out of Cliffs Valley either. That is a moderate to heavily (at times) traveled road, and you usually have to "make a break for it" especially from the south lane. I'm not sure of the speed limit, but it could be 60 or 65 in both directions. (Also there are several homes f/sale in there, which makes me wonder why.)

Old 11-25-2015, 12:03 PM

The drive getting to stores/restaurants is a deterrent for us. And I agree that there are many homes for sale there, sort of odd.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:36 AM

363 posts, read 439,311 times
Talking a little trip to heaven

We are from the Chicago area too, much different situation, currently live in a south suburb and no doubt have much, much less household income. Of course I wouldn't move without a job under ideal circumstances. The search is on! My question is, are there particular areas that are more affordable, but just not mobile homes (scared to death of them). Not that we don't have friends/family who live in them, it's just me. We would be renting, and we have a cat who is fixed, not declawed. We are peaceful, not into torture. Could care less about shopping, except of course groceries. Would like to find somewhere with good bluegrass music, good burgers, possibly gem mining. Thank you.

Last edited by PrairieGirl; 04-22-2016 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: more information

Old 04-22-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
We are from the Chicago area too, much different situation, currently live in a south suburb and no doubt have much, much less household income. Of course I wouldn't move without a job under ideal circumstances. The search is on! My question is, are there particular areas that are more affordable, but just not mobile homes (scared to death of them). Not that we don't have friends/family who live in them, it's just me. We would be renting, and we have a cat who is fixed, not declawed. We are peaceful, not into torture. Could care less about shopping, except of course groceries. Would like to find somewhere with good bluegrass music, good burgers, possibly gem mining. Thank you.
Are you planning to purchase a home eventually, and look around while you rent? The closer you get to within 5 miles of downtown Asheville, the more expensive it is. This is a vast area; suburbs here are nowhere near comparable to Chicago suburbs. Possibly you have been misinformed, there is nothing wrong with a good quality manufactured home. Many are higher quality than some stick built homes! (Description: mobile home, mobile homes are just that -- movable. They are not permanent.)

We really can't give you much information without knowing your budget to rent or purchase.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:55 AM

119 posts, read 173,337 times
As QuilterChick said, there are some nice manufactured homes. Some you would never even know were a manufactured home. It also depends on how old and how well they were taken care of. I lived in a stick built that looked way worse then the mobile home I had lived in before.

We are actually buying a Modular house, just closed on the land. Our house will have a value of $250,000-300,000 with land once it is done, with a little over 2,400 sqft, and at the end it will cost about 205,000-215,000. A nice stick built house here with that sqft is already at 300,000 or more. There are brand new houses that are 1,200-1,400 sqft going for 250,000-300,000 and very little yard.

Rents here are actually going up. After talking with the property manager where I live in South Asheville, they are going up on rent this summer. "I don't know how some of the people living here already are going to afford the rent once summer comes" His exact word. He also said that he fears a lot of people will be moving out. 2 bedrooms at already around $1,100 and up. 3 bedrooms are about $1450 now. Once summer comes and they go up here it could be any where from $1800 and up. The apartments are small. Ours is one of the biggest in sqft at 1456. Others are 1100-1300.

The company Sitel just closed down so we have over 200 people looking work and there is not much around here to start with. Pay rate is $7.65, $1244 a month (if you work 40 hrs). Most are working 30-36 hr a week.

With kids, you want to check out the schools. I have lived in North and west Asheville and I can tell you my main reason for moving to South Asheville was because of the schools.My kids were behind about 6 months from the schools in South Asheville.

Asheville is honestly becoming too crowded with all the people moving here. It has it's charm and perks for many.

I am not trying to put Asheville down, just trying to give a good picture of life here. It may cost less to live here then Chicago, I don't really know as I have never been there. I have lived in CT and Asheville is much cheaper then places there, but at least the pay rate is higher and there are more jobs. Although the taxes will probably kill you, lol.

My best advice would be to visit here, look at the job market, check out rentals, taxes, prices of homes/land, and schools. You are going to find people on here who are for Asheville and those who are not. We can only tell you what it is like for us living here. I have a like/hate relationship with Asheville. I don't love it here, but there are thing here I really like. If I could move from this state I would, but not before I do a lot of research and visits to an area I am interested in. I moved to NC back in 98 without any research at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina