Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:07 PM

127 posts, read 476,408 times

Advertisements

We moved from Middlesex, NC in Nash county, which borders Johnson county, to Burnsville, NC about 45 minutes north east of Asheville, in the high mountains of Yancey county. We lived in Burnsville for the past four years, but due to a job transfer to Duncan, SC we now live in Saluda, NC, which is just south of Hendersonville, NC. We choose Saluda because we could not bear to leave the mountains and Saluda is the last mountain town before descending into SC.

We found the Raleigh area to be somewhat boring, as we are very much into outdoor activities and Raleigh had very little to offer as far as hiking and a decent park system. We found the people to be very nice, but we didn’t have much in common. At the time I worked for the Siemens plant in Wendell. Now Burnsville is a much different story. There is probably not a prettier place on earth than the Black Mountains of Yancey county. The hiking is superb. The weather is great with much cooler summers and plenty of snow during the Winter. The people are an eclectic mix of bible thumpers, artists, nature lovers, liberals and just plain old mountain folk. We like Asheville and enjoy going downtown, as there are several good restaurants and the city just has a fun loving hippie vibe that you can’t find in most southern cities. We have found the people of Western NC to be very open minded and accepting of all types of people. From your description Asheville sounds like a good fit.

Last edited by fmors; 03-13-2011 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 08:13 PM

159 posts, read 259,200 times
Default asheville

I am relocated in MO from the east coast, and find AVL "folksy, and artsy" like the old hippy community that we had in Branson area. It is much like Mo, in its culture, with men that hunt, and enjoy fast cars, and woman are very tied to the extended family.
I enjoy swimming in the creeks, and the locals are down to earth, and they are what they are, and early on, I was not told to "read anything into their behavior".
I also miss the culture of the east, but had to go to the West coast to find the culture. It sounds like you are looking for something more cultural.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:59 AM

21 posts, read 87,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralSkier View Post
That is a concern, saucystargazer, that once you step outside of city limits you're right back in the bible belt. Since we would like to have a bit of land once we buy, even if it's not even quite an acre, we may opt to live outside the city limits. Are you suggesting that anywhere outside of the city is right back to real southern living? Although I must add that my husband & I made an error in judgment & bought a home in Johnston county so we've been pretty well-exposed to the culture of the NC countryside. Is it comparable to Johnston county in the areas surrounding Asheville (if you're familiar with JC)? Also, ShipOfFools42, you mention the COL not being too vast a difference from New England. I'm confused because this is not what I've seen from my research. From what I've found, a decent single-family home in the Asheville vicinity could be rented for under 1K a month. Is this accurate? Or again, would we be venturing too far outside the city? We do plan to visit within the next couple of months to get a feel for it but until then, thanks for all of the info.
It's not like you're going to step outside the city limits and suddenly be in Deliverance. All sorts of people live out in the country. Just pay attention to the neighborhood and pick one that fits your lifestyle. Most places in this area are a mix of all types of folks with all types of incomes.

I also made an error in judgement in picking my home in the country. The rebel flag curtains should have been a tip-off. Now, I'm not putting down my neighbors- they've been good to me- I just don't fit in here. By simply paying more attention, I could have picked the country neighborhood that was right for me.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 AM

It's not impossible to find a suitable family home in the country for under $1,000. It really depends on your personal definition of "nice" and your square footage preference. I like funky homes and haven't had much trouble locating low-priced ones. You will do much better, though, if you can pay a little more. Check Asheville Craigslist to get an idea of what rentals will cost.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:31 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Asheville to many of us, is no big deal. Rather gritty actually.
Do tell.

No, really, I'd like to hear about what you find "gritty" in Asheville.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:02 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
I, and others, find the City of Asheville to be less than clean, frankly. Behind the BBT building, lots of ladies who work downtown are told not to walk down there during their lunch hours or after work. Behind the Civic Center is not somewhere I nor my native friends either will venture.

There are many vagrants who gather and even sleep in the little "park" off Patton Av.; and that park is filthy. Police presence that is noticeable. Panhandlers, hippies, every color hair you can think of. Yes, some are legitimate artists who like that look; however, there are many druggies hanging around. Moderator cut: language people who don't smell real good when they pass by you. Dogs pooing on the sidewalks and watering the trees and building foundations.

That's what makes Asheville proper "gritty", and it's not only my view. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-30-2011 at 06:12 PM..

Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 AM

Huh? I'm a lady and I walk behind the Civic Center all the time! I walk wherever I want whenever I want. I love it downtown! The park is used heavily by everyone and folks of all types get along there. What's wrong with some pink hair or a backpack? Houselessness doesn't equal violence. It just means you don't have many options for sleeping, showering, and dog walking. But I'm a hippy (a hard-working, tax-paying, home-owning hippy), so I WOULD say that. Maybe these things make Asheville "gritty", but does it make it bad? Asheville is very safe for its size, and much safer than either Eugene or Raleigh.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:37 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,945,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeautifulday View Post
Houselessness doesn't equal violence. It just means you don't have many options for sleeping, showering, and dog walking.
Uh, that's not really true. As someone, who in their past life, was intimately involved in dealing with the issue of violence in the community, I can say from all my readings, dealings, and very personal experience that homelessness is a visible element of an economic, social or psychological situation that contributes greatly to an increase in crime. It can be property crime or it can be crimes against persons, but in either case it's crime that contributes to a decline in the quality of life for anyone who has an investment in the community.

I have run across many people over the years who don't see it that way. I would assume that they are in some kind of denial, but they could also just ignorant to the facts or even have some political motivations where they're using the homeless situation to further their agenda.

Let's just look at some overall data right from this site. What would some consider a dangerous city where they wouldn't walk the alleys at night? Would Los Angeles be one of those cities for anyone? I think it might be right up on the scale for most.

If you go to the City Data stats for L.A., you'll find the following number for the overall crime rate: 316.9. That's real close to the nationwide average.

Where does Asheville sit? The A'ville number is 405.3 The higher the number, the higher the rate of crime. In other words, in general, any one person will be more likely to be a vicitm of crime in A'ville than in L.A.

So, is it wise to walk down streets with few other people in any downtown, whether it's A'ville, L.A., or any other city. No, it's not. You're asking to be a victim. Are your chances greater in A'ville than elsewhere? Maybe yes or maybe no. At least by the broad brush of numbers available on this site, you're at a greater risk in A'ville than in L.A.

Where that analysis falls short is the fact that the numbers are general in nature. In a city the size of L.A., there is a great opportunity for variations to happen in the concentration of crime. In the city the size of A'ville, the opportunity for variations to happen in the concentration of crime are less.

L.A. could very well have a much higher variation in it's crime rate in it's downtown that's not reflected in the stats. That's going to have a lower chance of happening in A'ville.

So we get back to the homeless. Lack of money leads to crime. Use of drugs and abuse of alcohol leads to crime. Youth has a higher rate of committing crime than older adults. Presentation of opportunity (i.e., lack of other people, hidden areas) contributes crime. Finally, the concentration of the people more likely to commit crimes will increase another person's chances of being a victim of crime. These are all true statements.

So, to deny that the conentration of homeless, vagrants, youths, drug users, etc. will not contribute to an increase of crime and victimization of the community is just denying reality. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:35 PM

According to the City of Asheville's own website:

Fact: In general, people experiencing homelessness are among the least threatening groups in our society and are more likely to be victims of crime. Although they are more likely to commit non-violent and non-destructive crimes, they are less likely to commit crimes against person or property.

I doubt the previous poster was worried about being the victim of a nonviolent crime behind the Civic Center!

Old 03-14-2011, 02:51 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeautifulday View Post
According to the City of Asheville's own website:

Fact: In general, people experiencing homelessness are among the least threatening groups in our society and are more likely to be victims of crime. Although they are more likely to commit non-violent and non-destructive crimes, they are less likely to commit crimes against person or property.

I doubt the previous poster was worried about being the victim of a nonviolent crime behind the Civic Center!
Yep ... I do believe that Garth is a MAN that is very adept at taking care of himself in any situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina