Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:15 AM

39 posts, read 67,562 times

Advertisements

Hello – My husband & I are currently residing in the Raleigh, NC area & are originally from NJ. We’ve also lived in the Pacific NW (Eugene, OR) & have to say that the Raleigh area has been by far our least favorite. Seems to just be a bad fit in a number of ways- climate, culture, etc. Although we’ve been considering a number of places as potential relocation spots (mainly CO & the New England area), Asheville would certainly be the most convenient since we’re already NC residents. A bit about us: We’re agnostic, introverted 30-somethings that lean towards libertarianism, very much into a holistic, organic lifestyle but not interested in the symbiotic relationship that seems to come with this type of culture and liberalism. We’d like to find a place with independent-minded individuals like ourselves; the Triangle area folks seem a bit too close-minded & conventional for our taste. On the other hand, the people in Eugene, while more friendly, exhibited a more communal, progressive mentality that seemed pervasive. If you did not belong to that thought process and voiced any non-liberal notions, you were somewhat ostracized socially. I know that no place is perfect, but I’m slightly concerned of how much I hear Asheville being compared to Eugene. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I was hoping to find people that were a little less left-leaning & a bit more politically independent. That being said, I did prefer the culture in Eugene over Raleigh.

As for the climate, I really don’t care for Raleigh’s hot, humid summers & lack of snow in the winter. I’ve heard that Asheville’s at least a slight improvement in both areas- is this true? Employment is of course a concern, but since we’re both looking into telecommuting &/or entrepreneurial opportunities, the local economy may not have a huge impact on us. We’ll have to have something in place before relocating, of course. While we don’t have children yet, we do plan to in the near future & are interested in homeschooling. We would prefer an area where vaccinations aren’t mandatory (i.e., philosophical exemption, which NC does not have) but can hopefully get around this with homeschooling. Since Raleigh ended up being such a bad fit for our personalities, we were originally leaning towards leaving NC altogether & maybe relocating back up north. Rather than rule out the entire state due to one area, though, we’re wondering whether Asheville is as vast of a difference in terms of culture as what we’ve heard? I’d be very interested in hearing the thoughts of anyone who lived in the Raleigh area & now lives in Asheville, or just anyone who is familiar with the differences & similarities between the two. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 01:07 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,192 times
Asheville gets really weak snow. Like, REALLY weak. The past couple of years we have gotten some big snowstorms with more than a foot each, but that is very uncommon here. Typically it will snow a few times a year, stick around for a few days, and then melt. That's down in the Asheville valley of course, if you lived up in the high elevations it's a whole different ballgame.

Asheville compared to Eugene... well, Eugene sucks pretty bad, so I think Asheville is an improvement there. Eugene is the hippie/slacker capital of America, in my opinion, and that "liberal, progressive" mindset (that they won't shut up about) is even more obnoxious. Asheville is certainly "liberal and progressive", but people here are less likely to stuff it down your throat than they are in places like Eugene or even Portland. The PNW is notorious for super-snobby attitudes and looking down on people who do not think the exact same way. No thanks. The best part of the "progressive" movement here is all the great local food and products that you can get, usually at a very affordable price. Yesterday, I made chili out of bison meat from 30 minutes away, and it was PHENOMENAL.

Now, I have not lived in Raleigh, but I am originally from Birmingham, AL, which is very similar to Raleigh in both culture and climate. I can tell you that WNC is a completely different world, and I think, from reading your post, that you would like it here. Deep South culture and climate is not my bag, and I was raised in it; Asheville is NOT the Deep South. It is definitely still the South, and you will still see the occasional Confederate flag front license plate (especially the farther out into the country you go), but the prevailing mindset in Asheville proper is much more similar to somewhere like Burlington, Vermont or Northampton/Amherst, Massachusetts. Which brings me to my final point:

You mentioned New England. DO IT! New England is, IMHO, the finest place to live on the entire East Coast, and since you're looking into Asheville as well, the prices up there won't be too much higher than here, so it won't shock you as much. It's a bit more expensive to live there, yes, but for very good reason. Personally, my ultimate life goal is to own a house on some good land in Vermont one day, but I am going to have to put in time in my field elsewhere before I have a strong enough resume to move to VT. Although I might get lucky and land there, who knows. But yeah, New England is great, they have the mountains, the coast, the lakes, the rivers, everything you could want, within like a 3-hour drive. It's really tough to beat that. I would suggest looking into western Massacusetts, most of Vermont, central New Hampshire (the Lakes Region or the White Mountains), and possibly inland Maine if you think you can handle the cold. 'Course, it gets really cold in all the places I listed, but you'll be fine. There is no bad weather, only bad clothing.

So good luck to you, and I hope that you found this somewhat informative.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:05 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Asheville is NOT the Deep South. It is definitely still the South, and you will still see the occasional Confederate flag front license plate (especially the farther out into the country you go), but the prevailing mindset in Asheville proper is much more similar to somewhere like Burlington, Vermont or Northampton/Amherst, Massachusetts. Which brings me to my final point:
But keep in mind that the minute you step out of the "city limits" you are back in the bible belt. A lot of people forget about that then move there because of the country living and are unhappy.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:52 AM

252 posts, read 474,002 times
It was nice to see this post b/c I'm moving from Raleigh to Asheville in May. I'm being transferred. I definitely agree there is a very conventional culture in RDU(with the exception of Carrboro, Chapel Hill, & Pittsboro areas). And the summers are harsh, seriously! But not as bad as Dallas, where I lived for 10 years....I have to say though, that I love living in Raleigh. It's beautiful with many different things to do, and plenty of hiking. I'm a nature girl and not too concerned anything other than having some cool hiking available and decent grocery stores. :-) I was told just yesterday that I was in for a "culture shock" when I move to Ashvl. Probably, but that's ok. It will definitely be an adventure, and I sure don't have to worry about finding cool hiking spots!! And it will be nice to have more progressive-minded people around. Though when I meet those that aren't, that's okay too. We all have our own path....

I hope someone who has lived both in RDU & Ashvl sees this post. It'd be great to hear their perspective.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:11 AM

21 posts, read 87,099 times
I don't enjoy any large cities in North Carolina except for Asheville. Not that 70,000 people is all that large, but Asheville is the largest town in Western North Carolina. It is a very liberal city, which is just right for me, but there is also a great mix of all sorts of different people- getting along! Based on your description of yourself, Asheville could be a great fit. I can't speak to the vaccination issue. Yes, the climate is cooler and snowier than the "flatlands", but don't expect epic snowfall. The previous poster is correct- Asheville is a bit of an island in a sea of red, but then, so are many Oregon towns. Your letter implies that you haven't visited here. Definitely do, and see for yourself if it feels right.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:35 AM

39 posts, read 67,562 times
That is a concern, saucystargazer, that once you step outside of city limits you're right back in the bible belt. Since we would like to have a bit of land once we buy, even if it's not even quite an acre, we may opt to live outside the city limits. Are you suggesting that anywhere outside of the city is right back to real southern living? Although I must add that my husband & I made an error in judgment & bought a home in Johnston county so we've been pretty well-exposed to the culture of the NC countryside. Is it comparable to Johnston county in the areas surrounding Asheville (if you're familiar with JC)? Also, ShipOfFools42, you mention the COL not being too vast a difference from New England. I'm confused because this is not what I've seen from my research. From what I've found, a decent single-family home in the Asheville vicinity could be rented for under 1K a month. Is this accurate? Or again, would we be venturing too far outside the city? We do plan to visit within the next couple of months to get a feel for it but until then, thanks for all of the info.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:51 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
You might do well to look south of Asheville, in Henderson County. Buncombe County COL is higher due to taxation, and be careful up there .... they are doing some annexation of county land into the city ETJ. Henderson County has some beautiful rural areas, and only 25 miles from Asheville. Or ... go up to Weaverville, another pretty area not far to Asheville. You can be in a 25 mile radius of Asheville and have a fine standard of living and excellent schools. Asheville to many of us, is no big deal. Rather gritty actually.

And definitely yes on the COL in New England vs. Western NC. I am a lifelong New England native .... figure on at least 20% more to live up there. VT being one of the absolute worst. It's tax hell up there. CT, MA, RI, VT, NH, maybe some boonies in ME would be lower, but you wouldn't live iin the ME boonies. There is an up to date cost of living calculator on www.bankrate.com Most others are not up to date.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:21 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralSkier View Post
That is a concern, saucystargazer, that once you step outside of city limits you're right back in the bible belt. Since we would like to have a bit of land once we buy, even if it's not even quite an acre, we may opt to live outside the city limits. Are you suggesting that anywhere outside of the city is right back to real southern living?
Well, what do you mean by "real southern living"? I mean, there are all different kinds of people living in the sticks. There are your rednecks, and then there are your, I dunno, non-rednecks I guess. I mean, if you're into great music and art and food and having a helluva time, and you just happened to move in next to my friend (who lives on a mountain way out in Leicester), you would a very happy person. But realistically, in the real pretty places out there in country, you're going to have Southern farmer types who own a plot of land and actually grow something on it, you're going to have rednecks who own a plot of land and grow old car parts on it (), and you're going to have regular old people too. The people that are my friend's closest neighbors are a retired couple, but they are a blast, and one plays guitar and one plays fiddle, and I have jammed with them many times. So it all depends on where ya are and who your neighbors are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralSkier View Post
Also, ShipOfFools42, you mention the COL not being too vast a difference from New England. I'm confused because this is not what I've seen from my research. From what I've found, a decent single-family home in the Asheville vicinity could be rented for under 1K a month. Is this accurate? Or again, would we be venturing too far outside the city? We do plan to visit within the next couple of months to get a feel for it but until then, thanks for all of the info.
Well, it just all depends, like everything really. See, you're not going to find a "decent" single-family home in Asheville proper for under 1k a month, no. I have never seen it, and when they pop up, there's either problems with them or they just get snatched right up. In New England, like I said, you are going to pay more, but not much more. And to me, the difference in climate, culture, and everything else is worth the price. And when I say culture I don't mean anything hoity-toity, I'm talking about the way people think and act in New England; it's just more in line with the way I am. And it's not the liberal thing either, as I am fairly conservative; people there just tend to be very straightforward and (in my opinion) easy to get along with. But that's all up to you.

You are very wise to come visit and see what you think. This place is NOTHING like what most magazines and guides and all that would have you think. There are some very harsh realities when it comes to living in Asheville, but hey, it just might be the exact right place for you, especially if you're bringing a job with you.

Myself, I'm actually most likely moving to either Waynesville or Sylva pretty soon in order to be closer to WCU, so I probably won't be in Asheville anymore after next New Year. Still though, I have loved my time in Asheville and will always look back on it fondly. No matter how annoying the hippies are sometimes.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:11 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,227 times
To those asking for an RDU/Asheville comparison. I grew up in Asheville and then my parents moved to Wake Forest. I hate it there. With a passion. Its way way too congested, too hot, full of rude people, never gets snow, the allergies are wicked, and honestly, its just plain ugly. If it was at least as pretty as Asheville, I'd probably be ok with it. The "hiking" sucks because as even a park ranger at falls lake told me, the state parks in that area are for partying, not for getting out in nature. ....yea I hate the RDU area......

I would die in asheville if I could, it is where MY home and heart is. But not every place is right for everyone.

To the OP, if conservative values bother you so much that you are afraid to live somewhere with them, maybe you need to look north or west. I would say the country of WNC and Johnston Co are about equal. In fact, if you are having a hard time in RDU, I can't possibly see you ok in WNC, because RDU is almost all northerners these days with extremely liberal values.

And there is no way you will find a nice house for 1k a month unless its only 2 bedrooms.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:22 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Default Asheville....hmmmm.....

[quote=ShipOfFools42;18261026]Well, what do you mean by "real southern living"? ....................................... . In New England, like I said, you are going to pay more, but not much more. And to me, the difference in climate, culture, and everything else is worth the price. And when I say culture I don't mean anything hoity-toity, I'm talking about the way people think and act in New England; it's just more in line with the way I am. And it's not the liberal thing either, as I am fairly conservative; people there just tend to be very straightforward and (in my opinion) easy to get along with. But that's all up to you................."

Ship...hang on a minute. It is fairly STRESSful up there in the northeast/New England area. The population density is pretty thick and people are in a big hurry. There are some areas very suburban in ME and VT, but also cost of living is high, cost of land is high and so forth. Straightforward to you is usually construed as brash to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina