Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:34 AM

21 posts, read 87,125 times

Advertisements

I wasn't trying to turn this thread into a debate on the homeless. I just got my nighty in a knot over QuilterChick's post equating people who don't live the way she does with possible danger. As a youth, I was forced to live the way some people in the park do- sleeping outdoors, keeping belongings in a pack, rarely finding a shower. And my dog pooped in the park (and I immediately cleaned it up). There were lots of others around me in the same situation. We never commiteed crimes, but people looked down their nose at us and treated us like criminals because we didn't look "right".

I had just finished telling the OP that Asheville is great because all types of different people live here and get along. Then comes a post that downtown isn't that great in part because of the hippies and people with multicolored hair. Yes, they're in the park...and in businesses, running businesses, walking down every street, and patronizing Vincenzo's and Tops. What if I had said I avoid downtown because of all the quilters in the park? It's my prerogative, but it's not a very nice thing to say. I'm proud of Asheville's diversity-Hippies, Burners, Liberals, Libertarians, Conservatives, Immigrants, and everyone else-and it's one of the many reasons I live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeautifulday View Post
I wasn't trying to turn this thread into a debate on the homeless. I just got my nighty in a knot over QuilterChick's post equating people who don't live the way she does with possible danger. As a youth, I was forced to live the way some people in the park do- sleeping outdoors, keeping belongings in a pack, rarely finding a shower. And my dog pooped in the park (and I immediately cleaned it up). There were lots of others around me in the same situation. We never commiteed crimes, but people looked down their nose at us and treated us like criminals because we didn't look "right".

I had just finished telling the OP that Asheville is great because all types of different people live here and get along. Then comes a post that downtown isn't that great in part because of the hippies and people with multicolored hair. Yes, they're in the park...and in businesses, running businesses, walking down every street, and patronizing Vincenzo's and Tops. What if I had said I avoid downtown because of all the quilters in the park? It's my prerogative, but it's not a very nice thing to say. I'm proud of Asheville's diversity-Hippies, Burners, Liberals, Libertarians, Conservatives, Immigrants, and everyone else-and it's one of the many reasons I live here.
Well, you just did ...

.... and took the responses off topic. Everyone has an opinion whether they like or don't like a certain place. I did not say I do not like Asheville, just choose not to frequent certain areas there and was not imposing my opinions on others. This is a forum about opinions, and everyone has one. No need to get defensive about the past, no one is judging you personally. Now simmer down and have a beautiful day.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:32 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,837,831 times
I'd appreciate EVERYONE getting back -- and staying -- on topic, please.

Thanks.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:29 PM

178 posts, read 583,503 times
This is for Quilterchick and ShipofFools:

I have to add my 2 cents on this one being from New England. Yes, you will pay way more, it's not just a little. You have to think of all of the extra cost such as heat b/c it is SO cold, the cost of snow tires, and shovels, and generators, and the damage done to your house from fallen trees and winter ice dams on your roof, it's no fun. Plus you are sort of secluded. There are not a lot of fun small cities, and the Winters are so cold you pretty much hibernate. 17 below with freezing winds are not my idea of a fun place to live, but more a fun place to visit. Plus you are know to loose power for several days to a week, and if you have well water, you will not be able to flush the toilets.

I am not saying don't do it, I am just saying you need to spend a full Winter there first before moving, b/c it's hard to get out!

Summers are great though. But it is super buggy, inland and on the beaches. Nats, no-see-ums, black flys, house flys and the mosquitoes are horrid! You are litterally eaten alive, due to huge amounts of ponds, waterways, streams, floods, and there are no Carolina screen rooms up there! I have lived everywhere in NE, so if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer! (to original poster)

IMO if I had to choose being stuck indoor from heat or cold, I would pick heat. At least you could get out for a few hours and swim or something, there are some days where NE is too cold, and most of the houses in NE have old leaky windows and the heat cost is a fortune! We have easily paid 500 a month at times more. Wood stoves help, but you also have to stack and chop wood, and store it and bring it in at hourly intervals (so you have to be there) my folks heat with wood and propane, but all they do all spring summer and fall, is prepare for winters because they are longer and harder than any season.

Yes there are core people who don't believe in showing off what they own, but you have to think about the coast lines, which over 1/2 of them are second homes, more tourism-isy, and they don't talk to you at all, and have million dollar homes on the water.

Mass for sure gets less snow and damage than Vermont, Maine and NH. All 4 have massive floods and most homes have subpumps.

Food is more expensive, as are utilities, etc....It is very expensive to live there, depending where, and also if you are in the middle of no where...what amenities do you have near by? None.

You can get by sure, but if you loose your job, and esp Maine (there is a decrease in population right now due to job loss) you better find another one quick, b/c you can't survive it!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:33 PM

I forgot to mention, I do LOVE New England, the scenery, the trees, the woods, the mountains, but from her on out, I will be a visitor. I would love to be stuck in a cabin for say a week, no more with huge snow all around. ANd the falls are BEAUTIFUL. But the Winters are very long and depressing, and cold and windy...BRRRRR. I have a fleece on and I am indoors, and I still feel freezing! There is still over a foot of snow at my folk house. The winters do take a toll on you. But I will visit for sure, and hold it dear to my heart...didn't want to sound like I was bashing it, it's just not for me, I need to be outdoors year round...and a foot of snow I can handle....

I want to move to N or S Carolina!!!!!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:00 PM

Hi again, sorry for the multiple posts, I am new to this site. I would love to hear more about what info you have gathered, as reading your complete post you sound very similar to my family! My husband and I are social but like a lot of things kept to ourselves, we did consider the Pacific NW, but ruled it out for now due to location, we will be homeschooling, and currently have a 1yr old daughter, we also organic garden and are into a holistic lifestyle, but do not portray any exterior "crunchiness" if you will and we are clean and bathed We do alternative vaccines schedule-done lots and lots of research. But We are sick of the cold and what limitations it has on us (aside from the fact we snowboard) but have really felt the effect of Winters having a little one for the first time!

We are trying to decide what area to live in also, and what we have come to so far are Asheville NC and Greenville SC...have you looked into that one also?

We did think about the Raleigh area only due to the jobs, but it seems flat and industrial and not much natural beauty? Is that right? Should we rule it out? Is Raleigh pushy with religion? We are very much into hiking and biking and camping, also huge animal lovers...both wildlife and domestic.

Can you send private messages through this????

Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
If you don't already have jobs or can bring a job with you, you'd be much better off in Greenville. I just moved there due to not being able to ever find a job in Asheville. My fiance is also making twice as much in greenville where as in Asheville he was in the same position at least by label, and barely able to make ends meet or find a job that paid better.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:55 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I do know people who have been turned off by a visit to Asheville. I'm talking a few years back. They'd be going into a downtown restaurant and end up being accosted by panhandlers.

I have compassion, but it does seem a little odd that Asheville wants to promote tourism, but doesn't seem to realize that stuff like that works against them.

The problem with being more friendly to the homeless than other places is that you attract more than your fair share. But several people have said the homeless shelters in Asheville make the people leave the shelter during the day and they have no place to go. If that's true, then I think it's the dumbest policy I ever heard of.
Yeah, but a common policy in many places.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:13 PM

252 posts, read 474,192 times
"We did think about the Raleigh area only due to the jobs, but it seems flat and industrial and not much natural beauty? Is that right? Should we rule it out? Is Raleigh pushy with religion? We are very much into hiking and biking and camping, also huge animal lovers...both wildlife and domestic."

Oh man is that off. I hope you get the chance to see Raleigh. Its absolutely beautiful. Unlike Greenville SC with its cement & billboards in abundance. Raleigh is full of trees, and with the exception of Capital Blvd, its tough to find stores because of all the trees and the tough rules on signs. The hills of Chapel Hill & Carrboro are endearing, as well as in many other areas. I've lived here 3 years and not one person has tried to push religion on me. You'll only find that south of Raleigh in Johnson county maybe.

In 2007, Cary NC ranked as the No 5 best places to live by Forbes magazine. One of the reasons was it has the 2nd highest most educated population in the US. With RTP, all the high tech & medical jobs pull in the thinkers. You find many Repuglicans here, but also just as many liberals. The farmers markets here are fantastic. So are the many pottery places...

I'm in a rush, so this isn't too well thought out. But you must know Raleigh isn't an industrial, flat ugly city. I hike most weekends. Eno River is my favorite.

I'm moving to Asheville with my job, but I'm going to miss Raleigh like nobody's business.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,722 times
Now that you have been in Asheville for a few months, how do you like it? I am considering a move there in the January timeframe. I am a nurse and live in Northern WV now. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina