Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 AM

27 posts, read 62,469 times

Advertisements

Bottom line, move to where your friends are. Living in a place with culture, jobs, scenery, whatever is nice. But nothing can replace your friends and family. You're not going to be happy anywhere if you are alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,818 times
can't agree on that. we moved here from europa and I can honestly say, the really good friends you just keep - no matter where you go ! we see old friends and family not that often anymore, but WHEN we see each other (once a year, they come or we do) it's real quality time and more intense than it was back in germany.
It's also so easy nowadays to keep in touch with everyone.

you can live in a great setting, be happy with your location AND find even more friends during your new chapter of life. friends and family should not hold you back.
I always liked the saying: give them roots, when they are small, give them wings, when they are grown up

Old 01-12-2012, 09:43 AM

530 posts, read 1,341,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anytownusa View Post
Bottom line, move to where your friends are. Living in a place with culture, jobs, scenery, whatever is nice. But nothing can replace your friends and family. You're not going to be happy anywhere if you are alone.
I second that thought! I live in Vermont, 60 years old, retired and the only thing I don't like is the winter. But it's not as terrible as some make it out to be, and when I was younger, I enjoyed it. I have never owned a home with leaky windows or a sump-pump in the basement, never had any ice damage, etc. but you have to properly maintain a home after all, regardless of where you live. Last winter was terrible (record amount of snow); this winter has been great (so far!) Every year is different, as I am sure it is everywhere else.

The reason I am reading the Asheville section is because I often daydream about moving someplace warmer. But at the end of the day, it's just like anytownusa said, it's important to have friends and family nearby. My son lives in Boston, 2 1/2 hours away, and since many of my good friends and some family are on Long Island, it's nice to be able to visit easily. I have friends in Vermont as well, though no really close ones like I have in NY, so leaving here is a possibility but where to go is the question! I used to be more adventurous and now I find that the thought of moving to a place where I have no friends or connections of any kind is just daunting.

I'll probably live here until I die, but it sure is nice to dream about milder winters! I sure hope to visit Asheville someday; maybe on that mythical car trip to Florida I say I will make every winter :-)

Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 PM

19 posts, read 87,804 times
Default Last Shot? Considering Relocation from The Rocky Mountains

I wanted to get some opinions on a couple things myself about Asheville. My wife and I are considering relocating to Asheville in a year or two to get closer to our families on the east Coast, but not necessary too close. I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA, she grew up in Anaheim, CA and we are currently living in the Salt Lake City area. We absolutely love living here in Utah with the mountains, mountain biking and skiing, but not having any family within driving distance is tough with two young children.

We love mountain living (currently live in a mountain community in Utah), and love spending time MTB riding, hiking, but my wife is worried about the humidity factor of living in the south. Is it very humid (Charleston SC humid, Pittsburgh PA humid or Burlington VT humid) in Asheville?

I have looked at the federal air quality index for Asheville and it appears the air quality is pretty good (is that accurate)? the job market in Utah is amazing right now, is the job market as bad as what these boards make it appear in Asheville? (Me: MBA + BS in Marketing + BS in Management + 12 years of sales & marketing experience + a military veteran; Wife: MS in Speech Pathology, MS in Special Education, BS in Communicative Disorders + BS in Psychology). I think she might have an easier time getting a job than I would as Speech Pathologist are in demand.

How are the schools in Asheville/Black Mountain? Are there any Charter Schools in the area? We spiritual, but certainly not religious, and in Utah that is a difficult position considering 65% of the population is Mormon, so will we stick out like a sore thumb do to the fact that spending time in the mountains on Sunday is our "church" rather than sitting four walled building singing hymns?

We are very open minded people, but want laid back place where we can raise our kids, have a small house in the mountains, a garden, and an environment that we can feel safe raising our children? Is this Asheville, or are there other moderate climate areas in the South East that would be better for us? BTW, I hate Florida so that is not an open.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:16 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,378,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
You mentioned New England. DO IT! New England is, IMHO, the finest place to live on the entire East Coast, and since you're looking into Asheville as well, the prices up there won't be too much higher than here, so it won't shock you as much. It's a bit more expensive to live there, yes, but for very good reason. Personally, my ultimate life goal is to own a house on some good land in Vermont one day, but I am going to have to put in time in my field elsewhere before I have a strong enough resume to move to VT. Although I might get lucky and land there, who knows. But yeah, New England is great, they have the mountains, the coast, the lakes, the rivers, everything you could want, within like a 3-hour drive. It's really tough to beat that. I would suggest looking into western Massacusetts, most of Vermont, central New Hampshire (the Lakes Region or the White Mountains), and possibly inland Maine if you think you can handle the cold. 'Course, it gets really cold in all the places I listed, but you'll be fine. There is no bad weather, only bad clothing.
Have you lived in vermont?

I swear to spaghetti monster... I have scoured the interweb to find anyone say a negative comment about vermont aside from the weather and I've come up with nothing.

But in my own research, I really don't see how it stacks up as well in the recreation department as WNC and several other departments as well.
Doesn't WNC have mountains and lakes and everything you could want within 3 hours too? And what good is a lake if 9 months out of the year it's frozen solid and the other 3 months it's too cold to swim in?

You say that it's more expensive to live there "for good reason".
Are you suggesting that really freakin cold is a good reason for it to cost hundreds of dollars a month to heat a small home or are you suggesting that it's worth paying hundreds of dollars a month to heat a small home because it's really super awesome there?

Vermont looks like it's free of trailer parks and trashy people and maybe that's a reason for living there but it doesn't look like anything's going on there. the whole population of the state is only 600-thousand-something.

I'd also argue and back up with substantial evidence that WNC has a longer fall color season with more species of trees with showy fall color than Vermont. I don't mean to hijack the thread or start an argument or anything, I just don't get the fascination with Vermont that so many people have. If it's so great why do so few people live there?

I will give you this though, quality small acreage parcels are far more affordable there. Not necessarily homes or construction but the land.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,849,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Have you lived in vermont?

I swear to spaghetti monster... I have scoured the interweb to find anyone say a negative comment about vermont aside from the weather and I've come up with nothing.

But in my own research, I really don't see how it stacks up as well in the recreation department as WNC and several other departments as well.
Doesn't WNC have mountains and lakes and everything you could want within 3 hours too? And what good is a lake if 9 months out of the year it's frozen solid and the other 3 months it's too cold to swim in?

You say that it's more expensive to live there "for good reason".
Are you suggesting that really freakin cold is a good reason for it to cost hundreds of dollars a month to heat a small home or are you suggesting that it's worth paying hundreds of dollars a month to heat a small home because it's really super awesome there?

Vermont looks like it's free of trailer parks and trashy people and maybe that's a reason for living there but it doesn't look like anything's going on there. the whole population of the state is only 600-thousand-something.

I'd also argue and back up with substantial evidence that WNC has a longer fall color season with more species of trees with showy fall color than Vermont. I don't mean to hijack the thread or start an argument or anything, I just don't get the fascination with Vermont that so many people have. If it's so great why do so few people live there?

I will give you this though, quality small acreage parcels are far more affordable there. Not necessarily homes or construction but the land.
Yes. I lived in the Northeast Kingdom for a period of time, including winter. And I loved it very much. Have you lived in WNC? Because what you're saying is mind-blowing to me; it sounds like someone who has visited, at the most, but certainly not a resident and CERTAINLY not a long-time resident. This thread would be hard to hijack because it was dead as a doornail by the time you posted in it, so I figured I would respond to you. Winter is my favorite season, so yes, what you consider "really freakin cold" is what I consider "really freakin nice" and my favorite time of year. I am planning a move to Alaska, so that should tell you something.

A lot of people have a misconception about Vermont, that it is some kind of heaven, with no problems. I am not one of those people. I lived there, and I would live there again in a heartbeat, and I say that knowing that I would be poor if I made that choice. It's a damn nice place, in my opinion, and that's all there is to it. If you think WNC is nicer, more power to you. Line up with the rest of the massive crowds of people wanting to live here. There is nothing wrong with that, and all these people can't be wrong, right? I just think a lot of people come here and visit and get a very romanticized notion of what it would be like to live here. Some of them end up being totally happy here, and then some of them, as you will undoubtedly see on this forum, end up being horrified by the "Bible belt" aspect of it. Just like some people think Vermont is all music and farmers' markets, some people think WNC is all mountains and lakes with no downsides. Everywhere has its problems, so the idea is to pick a place is best for your preferences.

In the end, it's what suits you. Hell, I am INTENTIONALLY moving to a place where it is winter for a little over half the year, and where it never gets very warm in the summer, and where in the winter time, the sun hardly comes up during the day, and in some parts of the state, it doesn't come up at all for a portion of the winter. Sound like hell? Well, good; that's why Alaska has not gotten as swarmed by people as it would have been. If Alaska had the climate of Colorado, it would be ruined by now. It's so heartbreakingly beautiful that everyone who ever visited would have moved there if it wasn't for the winters. And so, I will go there and wallow in happiness while it's 40 below with the Aurora overhead, and someone can come take my place down here, wallowing in happiness when it's 90˚F and all sunshine. I will miss my friends and family, but I sure as hell won't miss this cursed climate we have.

Hope that somewhat answers your questions.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:13 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,378,338 times
Quote:
Have you lived in WNC? Because what you're saying is mind-blowing to me; it sounds like someone who has visited, at the most, but certainly not a resident and CERTAINLY not a long-time resident.
Your intuition is correct. I live a couple hours to the south, in GA.
I do regularly visit the region for recreational purposes and I travel to E.Tn for work purposes. When I say recreational, I'm not talking about golf and tennis at the Grove Park Inn. I'm talking hiking, paddling, offroad and boondock tent camping. Things I probably wouldn't do too much of in VT because.... "it's toooo cooolllld"
I'm in this forum in an attempt to research the area but truthfully, it doesn't look like a relocation to wnc is going to happen. Not because of anything to do with this forum, but more to do with real estate. There are some strategic reasons the Asheville area looks like a good idea however.

Quote:
A lot of people have a misconception about Vermont, that it is some kind of heaven, with no problems.
It certainly seems that way, doesn't it?
I'm not one to easily buy into hype.
You may remember that in your initial reply, you said "DO IT!" citing that there's mountains, lakes and "everything" within 3 hours.

Quote:
Just like some people think Vermont is all music and farmers' markets, some people think WNC is all mountains and lakes with no downsides. Everywhere has its problems,...
Well that's why I replied in the first place. It's not difficult to browse this forum and find out the most common complaints and downsides to WNC, but I've done the same in the VT forum and not turned up anything. Doesn't look like anyone complains about anything there. Nobody posts about regretting their move to VT because it doesn't have the nightlife of Miami. So what are the downsides aside from the weather? And I still consider the weather to be a downside because you can take a number of other cities where people complain much more bitterly about the kind of conditions you described.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 PM

22 posts, read 34,264 times
Default SLC to AVL move

@Happyat6500feet: Asheville is definitely more humid than SLC! But it's certainly not Florida humid. You definitely get used to it and Asheville seemingly always has nice mountain breezes. I won't lie, the job market is tough here. Tourism and medicine are the biggest industries and it can be tough to find high paying jobs, even if you are highly qualified. My husband owns his own business and I telecommute for a company based out of NJ, so that's how we're able to afford a good lifestyle here. Most of our friends are self-employed or in similar positions (telecommuting)
There are definitely charter schools in the area. I live within Asheville city limits and know of at least two that are very highly rated. We're agnostic and spend our Sundays enjoying nature. It's not frowned on at all! People are really laid back here with religion (at least what I've experienced).
We love it here and feel it's a great place to raise a family.As for everything else - sounds like visiting Asheville would be helpful in making your decision. It's not for everyone and you definitely shouldn't move here without a job.
Hope that helps!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:04 PM

99 posts, read 124,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyat6500feet View Post
I wanted to get some opinions on a couple things myself about Asheville. My wife and I are considering relocating to Asheville in a year or two to get closer to our families on the east Coast, but not necessary too close. I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA, she grew up in Anaheim, CA and we are currently living in the Salt Lake City area. We absolutely love living here in Utah with the mountains, mountain biking and skiing, but not having any family within driving distance is tough with two young children.

We love mountain living (currently live in a mountain community in Utah), and love spending time MTB riding, hiking, but my wife is worried about the humidity factor of living in the south. Is it very humid (Charleston SC humid, Pittsburgh PA humid or Burlington VT humid) in Asheville?

I have looked at the federal air quality index for Asheville and it appears the air quality is pretty good (is that accurate)? the job market in Utah is amazing right now, is the job market as bad as what these boards make it appear in Asheville? (Me: MBA + BS in Marketing + BS in Management + 12 years of sales & marketing experience + a military veteran; Wife: MS in Speech Pathology, MS in Special Education, BS in Communicative Disorders + BS in Psychology). I think she might have an easier time getting a job than I would as Speech Pathologist are in demand.

How are the schools in Asheville/Black Mountain? Are there any Charter Schools in the area? We spiritual, but certainly not religious, and in Utah that is a difficult position considering 65% of the population is Mormon, so will we stick out like a sore thumb do to the fact that spending time in the mountains on Sunday is our "church" rather than sitting four walled building singing hymns?

We are very open minded people, but want laid back place where we can raise our kids, have a small house in the mountains, a garden, and an environment that we can feel safe raising our children? Is this Asheville, or are there other moderate climate areas in the South East that would be better for us? BTW, I hate Florida so that is not an open.
I have to ask is the only reason your leaving UTAH only to be closer to family??? I lived in Asheville and Boone for over 5yrs and I'm financially fortunate that I didn't have to work to pay my bills, but the economy in the area is pretty bad. When I moved to Charlotte area in 2010 the Asheville paper ran an article about over 70% of people in area were under employed (meaning they could only get part time work or held more than one part time job), at the same time an article ran stating that well over 50% of population is on some form of social aid. That to me was a very true yet telling statistic on the Asheville area.

I lived in Charlotte for under a year and needed to get to a more drier and cooler climate so moved to Denver and loved everything Colorado had to offer, after only a month there had to move to my hometown in FL to take care of a ill relative, now married with 3 step kids my wife and I were looking to move out West SLC was her choice however I still wanted to go back to CO but she wasn't having it, I guess cause I dated there or something? Anyways SLC was only option due to her Job having a big pressence there, now laid off SLC quickly dropped off our radar, and now she want's to move to Asheville to let me complete schooling, then move West.

So I ask you what was your take on living out West? I have a medical condition that's harshly irritated by heat/humidity and need the change in seasons for me to remain at optimal health.

By the way in Asheville the humidity isn't bad until last couple weeks in July thru August pretty much rule of thumb in WNC Mtn area once calendar hits September the thermostat drastically drops during the day so all in all August is only bad month, atleast for me that's the cast.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:01 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
I've read through many of the posts and I see both sides. Asheville is pretty but has a "gritty" side. I could agree with that. The only thing I can disagree with is crime. Asheville's crime rate is actually higher than it should be for it's size. It's funny how I hear a lot of people say "we moved to Asheville from X because it's safer and the schools are better." Sometimes this is accurate, and sometimes I'm like "You should check the stats of Asheville, because you moved here and it's actually safer where you came from." I think there's a lot of misconception because Asheville is so friendly and unique, sometimes people moving here may overlook things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina