Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 03:21 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

So I ask you, what kind of a landlord would you want to rent from? Someone who doesn't care about their property? Or someone who wants to provide a clean safe environment for you?

Just because someone allows pets doesn't mean the environment is going to be gross and unsafe. That is just dumb.

I'm not disagreeing that some people's pets cause problems, and I'm fine if I had to pay a REFUNDABLE fee. But when I have to shell out an extra 1000 or more a year when my pet isn't doing any harm, it really pisses me off. All the rentals I've been at with dogs had the landlords tell me that if they didn't know I had dogs, they would have never guessed seeing as I left in in better condition than I go it.
OP: Check out the bayshore property management. I haven't dealt with them but I know others who have and they boost that they are pet friendly.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 04-01-2011 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 03:38 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Just because someone allows pets doesn't mean the environment is going to be gross and unsafe. That is just dumb.

I'm not disagreeing that some people's pets cause problems, and I'm fine if I had to pay a REFUNDABLE fee. But when I have to shell out an extra 1000 or more a year when my pet isn't doing any harm, it really pisses me off. All the rentals I've been at with dogs had the landlords tell me that if they didn't know I had dogs, they would have never guessed seeing as I left in in better condition than I go it.

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to strike a nerve with you SS or anyone else for that matter. You obviously are an exceptional tenant, and I wish I had something to rent to you ! But you are a rare bird; and a landlord never knows beforehand what the tenant will be like. I've never heard of charging a $1,000 pet deposit though, that seems pretty high. $300 is about average over and above the security deposit. As I mentioned, it is very unfortunate that all it takes is one or two careless tenants, and if you are taken advantage of that will ruin it for the rest of them.

The OP will be just fine, I hope they make out well in this area and that they thrive here. Greenville SC or somewhere in that area might just be their cuppa tea. Asheville has a few walkable neighborhoods, but small lots and busy streets. It is not easy relocating.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:19 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
We have two cats and used to have a dog until she died. I'm now in my fourth rental house here in ten years' time. Three of the homes were brand-new. Our pet deposit is usually around $200-$250.

All the landlords were skeptical of pets, but later said they were always surprised that they could never tell there were any animals around, except for seeing them.

Yes, dogs do scratch window sills, but mostly if it's a large dog with large claws. Small dogs do a lot less damage.

Yes, pets do throw up on carpets, but I have a secret weapon - Get Serious! Pet Stain, Odor and Pheromone Extractor

1800PetMeds: Get Serious! Pet Stain, Odor and Pheromone Extractor is a stain remover and odor eliminator for carpets and upholstery - 1800PetMeds

There is no trace of ANYTHING left on the carpet. Even if your pet threw up and it sat there for a month before you found it, this stuff removes it ALL.

I am never without it. The stuff is a miracle. Our landlords have been happy and totally amazed.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:48 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
My previous landlord required a $400 dollar nonrefundable deposit and then an extra 50 dollars a month (25 for each dog) =1000 extra a year. Lame.

I don't like houses with carpet, so I've stayed away from them if possible. Makes the one time my dog did puke easy to clean up.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
Hi,
I have to ask b/c I have seen this come up before. Do people actually move here with out a job lined up? I have never heard of that, and being from NE it would just not even be heard of.

So far everyone who has moved there said it is very dog friendly, comparatively. We have been working with a realtor here and in 3 counties have only found 2 places that even allow pets (out of thousands)!!!! We only have 2 dogs and are very friendly, have references....plus love that you have to have the spay/neuter laws in Asheville. And the no tie ordinances.

Ohmygod, you have no idea

It is just shocking to many of us just how many people are doing this. IT IS CRAZY. I get sick to death of having to repeat myself over and over to some of the people posting here, do not attempt to move here without a job unless you have at least a years worth of living expenses saved up.

I think you should look at Landrum and the area immediately surrounding it. It's a great little community and a good location whether the job is in Greenville or Asheville

Old 04-01-2011, 11:46 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
My previous landlord required a $400 dollar nonrefundable deposit and then an extra 50 dollars a month (25 for each dog) =1000 extra a year. Lame.

I don't like houses with carpet, so I've stayed away from them if possible. Makes the one time my dog did puke easy to clean up.
I didn't know I had it so lucky. $1,000 would never fly in this neck of the woods. That's a lot of money.

All the houses we rent seem to have carpet in the bedrooms only, so I swear by that stuff. The current house has wood floors everywhere except for one bedroom, which is weird. I can't figure out why the owner decided this one secondary bedroom needed carpet.

Eh, people are funny.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:45 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Ohmygod, you have no idea

It is just shocking to many of us just how many people are doing this. IT IS CRAZY. I get sick to death of having to repeat myself over and over to some of the people posting here, do not attempt to move here without a job unless you have at least a years worth of living expenses saved up.

I think you should look at Landrum and the area immediately surrounding it. It's a great little community and a good location whether the job is in Greenville or Asheville

Ditto LM, the number of replies on the forum "warning" about not coming w/o a job ... anywhere ... is amazing; unless they are retired, telecommute with salaries from their former state, etc. etc.

Landrum or Tryon would be my pick. Closer to the "big cities" and closer to the airports. That drive from H'ville to Charlotte, going down the Saluda grade, to get a direct flight is daunting for many of us. It's the old real estate advice: Location, location, location.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:46 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,845,838 times
Really, the whole thing is a toss-up. I've been speaking to you privately I know, but this whole thread has been mostly about pets and making sure you have a job, and it's only been a couple of people. So, here's what I think.

If your husband is well-qualified in the medical field, he should be fine getting a job here in the Asheville area, if this is where you want to be. Personally, I find it mind-blowing that people suggest Greenville, SC to someone who is looking to move to WNC. It is NOTHING like WNC at all. It is a decent town for sure, but come on, people who are coming to WNC want to be in the mountains, not an hour away from them. What's the point of trying to move to the mountains if you can't even see them when you're driving to work (or to anywhere)? I just don't get it.

As far as a beautiful area with relatively low prices, I like Leicester. You have to pick and choose, because some of the areas are full of people whose families have been there for a LONG time, and it would be weird as a New Englander for that to be your first experience in the South. Those people are almost always great people, but they're not the type of people that YOU would want to hang out with. My friend found a house on top of a mountain in Leicester for $1000/month, and it is a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath! The view from his front porch looks like you're at a ski resort in Vermont or something. It's unbelievable what kind of deals you can snag out that way if you look. Madison County, just a bit farther northwest, is even better, but then you are getting into a whole new set of issues as far as commuting time and having things in common with your neighbors.

It all depends on what's important to you. If it's a view and some privacy, definitely check out Leicester, Fairview, Swannanoa, and possibly Black Mountain. All of those places have pockets of poverty that some people would consider an "eyesore", but those people probably don't really understand much about the way the world works. There will always be cheaper, not-so-well-maintained places out there, and it won't affect you at all. My neighborhood has quite a few "ugly" old houses, and it never bothers me in the least. And why should it? It isn't like the "ugly" houses are going to affect me, and if they really bother you, don't look at them. What I'm saying is a lot of the really great deals on nice properties might have a trailer or a crappy-looking house near them, and you shouldn't let that deter you, unless the people living in the trailer are potentially a problem (and they usually aren't).

Sounds to me like you need to look at WNC, not Greenville. The mountains are good for your soul, and despite all the ominous postings on this forum, you are not going to wither up and die when you get here. I have plenty of friends making good money and living fulfilling lives right here in Asheville, it just takes time to find that job. Have patience, and it will happen for you; I have faith in your ability to make it so, because I've spoken to you, and because you're a New Englander, and a "Maine-ah" at that; you guys are tough! Don't get discouraged, and I think you'll be just fine. Best of luck to you, and wish me luck in filling your spot in Northern New England in a few years!

Old 04-02-2011, 06:40 PM

229 posts, read 584,972 times
What a nice, helpful post!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Really, the whole thing is a toss-up. I've been speaking to you privately I know, but this whole thread has been mostly about pets and making sure you have a job, and it's only been a couple of people. So, here's what I think.

If your husband is well-qualified in the medical field, he should be fine getting a job here in the Asheville area, if this is where you want to be. Personally, I find it mind-blowing that people suggest Greenville, SC to someone who is looking to move to WNC. It is NOTHING like WNC at all. It is a decent town for sure, but come on, people who are coming to WNC want to be in the mountains, not an hour away from them. What's the point of trying to move to the mountains if you can't even see them when you're driving to work (or to anywhere)? I just don't get it.

As far as a beautiful area with relatively low prices, I like Leicester. You have to pick and choose, because some of the areas are full of people whose families have been there for a LONG time, and it would be weird as a New Englander for that to be your first experience in the South. Those people are almost always great people, but they're not the type of people that YOU would want to hang out with. My friend found a house on top of a mountain in Leicester for $1000/month, and it is a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath! The view from his front porch looks like you're at a ski resort in Vermont or something. It's unbelievable what kind of deals you can snag out that way if you look. Madison County, just a bit farther northwest, is even better, but then you are getting into a whole new set of issues as far as commuting time and having things in common with your neighbors.

It all depends on what's important to you. If it's a view and some privacy, definitely check out Leicester, Fairview, Swannanoa, and possibly Black Mountain. All of those places have pockets of poverty that some people would consider an "eyesore", but those people probably don't really understand much about the way the world works. There will always be cheaper, not-so-well-maintained places out there, and it won't affect you at all. My neighborhood has quite a few "ugly" old houses, and it never bothers me in the least. And why should it? It isn't like the "ugly" houses are going to affect me, and if they really bother you, don't look at them. What I'm saying is a lot of the really great deals on nice properties might have a trailer or a crappy-looking house near them, and you shouldn't let that deter you, unless the people living in the trailer are potentially a problem (and they usually aren't).

Sounds to me like you need to look at WNC, not Greenville. The mountains are good for your soul, and despite all the ominous postings on this forum, you are not going to wither up and die when you get here. I have plenty of friends making good money and living fulfilling lives right here in Asheville, it just takes time to find that job. Have patience, and it will happen for you; I have faith in your ability to make it so, because I've spoken to you, and because you're a New Englander, and a "Maine-ah" at that; you guys are tough! Don't get discouraged, and I think you'll be just fine. Best of luck to you, and wish me luck in filling your spot in Northern New England in a few years!

Old 04-04-2011, 07:25 AM

178 posts, read 582,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post

I agree, thanks! And Very helpful

Also, about the bad crappy houses...once you drive 3 streets past rt 1 in Maine, you see this all the time...the true old locals in pockets of NE can live in these horrible trailers with dump trucks right in their yards and looks like a junk yard....most of the tourist never take the side road and don't see it (and pretty much all of Norther NE is ONLY back Roads or Main road-nothing in between). It's never bothered me at all. I don't care how they want to live, and also feel bad, just like Asheville locals or even the native Cherokees who have been pushed further out of town. Maine also has a lot of "mountain men" who live in shack type places without running water and minimal electricity, I know some of them personally, they are really cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina