Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:59 AM

178 posts, read 583,216 times

Advertisements

I know there are similar treads, but they are so specific to them, I am not finding what I am looking for.

So here it goes. I think I have been relying too much on ONLY Asheville, NC and Greenville, SC, and that is why I am not getting the information I need before we plan our trip. I am open to either and any town in between (I know this goes all the way to SC, but didn't want to post in both. In your best opinion where would you see us, thanks! You can also mention unsafe areas, or where not to go, etc IYOP

Our criteria is:

We would be looking for a rental house with a big yard, safety for a very young family, babies (more to come) and dogs. We could be right near town, or the outskirts, or further from town. We can always move once we check it out for a year.

We have one car, so I would like at least one place to walk or bike to with a bike trailer (daughter behind my bike), which could include any park or store. Right now we are miles from any store during the day while I have no access to a car. There roads are 40-50 mph and not safe to get to (all main roads-no sidewalks). I am willing to walk or bike there with her in the back. We would also love to be nearby to walking/hiking trails, but we could save those for the weekends too. I already know that compared to here they are tons of outdoors stuff to do all around.

We want neighbors/neighborhood, but also love privacy..so no row homes, not into the cookie cutter houses, but would adjust if it had everything else. We are on 5 acres right now, and however much I LOVE it, it's a bit too much.

As far as dress, we are jeans and t-shirt type people. Not hippies, not conservative (that is the ONLY information I have been given between G'ville and Asheville to compare). We are average people, and can entertain ourselves for the rest of it. We are not plain by any means, and would still need intellectual open minded people to have conversation with; not looking to live in an area where what the husband says goes type of thing...as I have heard SOME areas of the South and SouthEast can be, and also not looking to live in an area that is too hippy/young or dirty. We love to entertain and have parties, but we do not do drugs. We are health conscious, grow organic veggies, but we still have a carbon footprint, we try hard, but we are not into extremes. Our friends currently range from 27-35.

Or interests are family life and still lots of fun, but we are not single, so we don't care about the night life (beside good places to dine at night-walk or drive is fine), we are more concerned with home life-good friends over for wine night, gardening, BBQ, etc.

Small towns are fine with us, but we would love to be close to lots of other young families, and by lots I mean at least a few others. I am on a street a few miles long with no other young kids at all! So I don't want to be totally secluded, like I am now.

Thanks so much in advance,
I think this will be very helpful! And questions about us and who we are to fill in the blanks-ask away!

Last edited by southernNE; 04-01-2011 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 AM

I should also add, my husband is looking to work at one of the Hospitals (labs) or one of the Biotec/pharma companies down there, and both have some near by each. His drive is currently 1/2 an hour without traffic, up to an hour with traffic. We would prefer a shorter drive.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:57 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
First priority: come down here and look around seriously, take a minimum of one week. Jobs are not plentiful here, maybe better in the healthcare field, but do NOT come to NC without a job. The Greenville SC area sound like it is more suitable for your needs. More jobs, but you have to find a job FIRST before relocating here unless you can support yourself for at least one year with rent and living expenses. There are some very nice areas in the upstate of SC. Greer, Travelers Rest, decent radius around Greenville or Spartanburg. Mill Spring, Boiling Springs, Chesnee etc. etc. Anderson SC, Simpsonville SC.

Renting with dogs could be a problem, but you already know that. Get the local newspapers.

www.goupstate.com for the Greenville/Spartanburg area.

www.SpartanburgHerald.com ditto above

www.blueridgenow.com for the Hendersonville area

Then you have Landrum, SC, Tryon NC, Rutherfordton, NC etc. etc.

All within commuting distance to NC or SC.

If you are going to want to rent .... a subdivision will be your best bet while you take a year to get a feel for the area.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:11 AM

Hi,
I have to ask b/c I have seen this come up before. Do people actually move here with out a job lined up? I have never heard of that, and being from NE it would just not even be heard of.

So far everyone who has moved there said it is very dog friendly, comparatively. We have been working with a realtor here and in 3 counties have only found 2 places that even allow pets (out of thousands)!!!! We only have 2 dogs and are very friendly, have references....plus love that you have to have the spay/neuter laws in Asheville. And the no tie ordinances.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:59 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,608,098 times
Here's my updated reply in the City vs. City thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post18541094

Both areas offer fantastic venues for families. I agree with the above - see the area in person - do the things you would normally do if you lived here.

Additionally, I have no idea where you live (? southern New England) - please complete your location information.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
Hi,
I have to ask b/c I have seen this come up before. Do people actually move here with out a job lined up? I have never heard of that, and being from NE it would just not even be heard of.

So far everyone who has moved there said it is very dog friendly, comparatively. We have been working with a realtor here and in 3 counties have only found 2 places that even allow pets (out of thousands)!!!! We only have 2 dogs and are very friendly, have references....plus love that you have to have the spay/neuter laws in Asheville. And the no tie ordinances.
Yes, some people just pick up and come here w/o a job, and it can be a disaster. It is a dog friendly area if you own a home with a fence; not dog friendly for tenants, and that is the same whether you are in New England or here. You will want to think about compromising when renting and take a good long time to find a home to buy in an area that suits your wants and needs as you posted above. Best of luck to you and yours.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:38 AM

We actually plan on renting for many years, so provide the possibility to move. We have already learned the hard way from our house selling difficulties recently!!!

Anyway, if anyone read the description where would you visualize us? That's all. It's just what you think, I am not going to jump and move there. Why is everyone so worried about that? That's why I put IYOP

Thanks to the answers!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Here's my updated reply in the City vs. City thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post18541094

Both areas offer fantastic venues for families. I agree with the above - see the area in person - do the things you would normally do if you lived here.

Additionally, I have no idea where you live (? southern New England) - please complete your location information.

Good luck!

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for, much help.

That IS my other post! Right before your post I asked how to delete it, I am totally new to this forum thing....;0 Sorry guys!

Old 04-01-2011, 12:14 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,877 times
Just to chime in, I dont think you are going to find either area really that walkable/pedestrian friendly. Asheville, if you are in town, might be to a small extent. But just outside of town, and in certain parts of town, neither has a lot of sidewalks. Which is actually a huge issue in Asheville right now because a section of town had has protests to try and get sidewalks put in.

Having lived in both places, I can tell you it seems like there are a bit nicer rentals for the same price range in Greenville, but were still running into the dog problem too even though we have excellent references. Rant: I can't stand when people think its ok to charge you an extra 1000+ a year just because your dog MIGHT cause damage. I really think it should be illegal to collect a huge NONREFUNDABLE pet deposit. Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of landlords.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Just to chime in, I dont think you are going to find either area really that walkable/pedestrian friendly. Asheville, if you are in town, might be to a small extent. But just outside of town, and in certain parts of town, neither has a lot of sidewalks. Which is actually a huge issue in Asheville right now because a section of town had has protests to try and get sidewalks put in.

Having lived in both places, I can tell you it seems like there are a bit nicer rentals for the same price range in Greenville, but were still running into the dog problem too even though we have excellent references. Rant: I can't stand when people think its ok to charge you an extra 1000+ a year just because your dog MIGHT cause damage. I really think it should be illegal to collect a huge NONREFUNDABLE pet deposit. Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of landlords.
I don't want to take this off topic here, but let me clarify a few reasons for the "dog thing". #1, I'm one of the original animal lovers. #2, I've also owned a few apartments and rental properties in my day; and unfortunately for the tenants, I could not allow pets.

Many prospective tenants do not want to live in a multi unit apt. building that allows pets. Dogs bark, need a place to "go", might jump or get aggressive with others. It can be a liability issue as well as a clean up issue. People do not always pick up after their dogs. Dogs scratch doors, window sills, not intentionally, just that their nails scrape the wood; that is a given. Dogs can barf on the carpeting, they get ill too, just like people. Pet dander in the carpeting can be an issue in renting to a subsequent tenant claiming allergies. And the list goes on. All you need is one bad apple to ruin it for the rest. In a single family rental home, let's say there is a fence. The dog digs holes under the fence to get out, wants to chase a cat etc. etc. Barks, the neighbors complain. You name it.

Whenever a long term tenant moved out of one of my places, the w/w carpeting was replaced, not shampooed, replaced. Tenants know when they move in they are getting a like new rental, and they lose their security deposit if not in re-rentable condition when they move or if something is ruined... and usually it's the carpet. Smoking is another issue, almost worse than pets; an apartment has to be totally de-smoked and that is expensive. Only once did I allow someone who begged me to get a kitten. Next thing I knew, there were 6 "kittens" in there plus the mommy. So I ask you, what kind of a landlord would you want to rent from? Someone who doesn't care about their property? Or someone who wants to provide a clean safe environment for you?

I hope that the OP can find something suitable for the children and the pets in the area; it's not an impossible task to find what they need, but it could take a bit longer. With many foreclosures available, they may have a better chance of finding a single family home purchased by an investor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina