Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 05:41 PM

73 posts, read 276,962 times

Advertisements

Waynesville. No contest. Prettier downtown. Close to Asheville. Further from Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 10:45 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
I was told by someone who had lived in Franklin for ages that their Angel Medical Center wasn't that great. She told me what the problems were, but that was back in 2003 and I don't remember the specifics.

Anyone know how the hospital is in Waynesville?

Old 07-07-2011, 06:59 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-hiker View Post
the OP Posted "for vacations and live in for the summer", does not sound like they plan on attending school in Waynesville

and Like I said "unless they are very outdoorsy", there isnt much for teens to enjoy....esp without many friends in the area

Whats missing? Places to go and things to do after work or school...Me and my friends went and walked the lake in out spar time after work/school, but that gets old fast to Teenagers....You can ask anyone between ages 15 and say 21 what there is to do in this town, and you will get back either "nothing", "walk the lake" or "Walmart"

There are plenty of things to do for a Day trip in the outdoors, but for a typical Afternoon with friends? not much going on...

Waynesville is best if you are already tired. I mean "retired". I wouldn't want to drive into Asheville for dinner or a play etc. on a regular basis. Most folks choose to reside within a reasonable radius of a city. And Asheville itself is not even considered to be a large city at all. More like a large town.

Once you have done all there is to do in and near Waynesville, what else is there? Franklin is too remote for most people and there is even less to do there. If you are concerned about medical care, you need to be closer to Asheville. Or at least within a 15 mile radius of Asheville. Look into Hendersonville if you haven't already. You would be about halfway between Asheville and Greenville SC, both wonderful areas to shop, more for the teens and kids to do, more family oriented without being isolated. Better weather too ... due to Waynesville's elevation, consider more snow and ice, and the only way to get to Asheville is I-40 (the biggest truck route east to west in the U.S.).

Being on vacation in an area is a whole different world than actually living there year in and year out.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:22 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
and the only way to get to Asheville is I-40 (the biggest truck route east to west in the U.S.).
Only if you don't want to drive through Canton/Candler on Hwy 19/23. That depends on the sensitivity of your olfactory organs...

Having lived in both towns as a young person, I can second the statement that unless thery are very outdoor oriented, the teenage sons will be bored. Even if they do enjoy the outdoors, they will still need transportation as everything is spread out. I wouldn't count on them riding bikes everywhere. Back 40 years ago I could get away with it because of lighter traffic, but now it would be unsafe.

Franklin has even less to do there for young people.

A sports league of some sort might be an option, in either place, if they are so inclined.

I might be mistaken but I don't think that Waynesville even has a theater anymore.

Franklin is closer to Atlanta, if that's your desire. It would be about a 2 hr drive to the outskirts (Mall of Georgia area ), now that it's 4 lane almost the whole way, with at least half of it being at limit of 65 - 70MPH. A drive to Asheville would take almost as long. ( about 1.5 hrs )

Old 07-07-2011, 03:18 PM

172 posts, read 477,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
I might be mistaken but I don't think that Waynesville even has a theater anymore.
We have a Small hole in the Wall type Theater...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina