Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:30 PM

25 posts, read 76,822 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide where to buy a home to be used for vacations and live in for the summer with my husband and two teenage sons. I may retire there in 10 years. I like Franklin and Waynesville. Any pros or cons for these locations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
I know many people that have bought in Waynesville. Close to an airport and a larger town is a major perk.

Franklin is fairly remote and not exactly the prettiest town IMHO. It's also a bit warmer in the summer down towards Franklin.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:28 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,324,022 times
Waynesville is a little closer to major shopping and eating establishments (IE: Asheville), otherwise, they are similar.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Waynesville is a little closer to major shopping and eating establishments (IE: Asheville), otherwise, they are similar.
Really? I don't really seem them as that similar. Waynesville has much higher elevation therefore cooler in summer. Although closer to Asheville than Franklin it somehow seems more remote to me (in a good way).

Old 06-28-2011, 10:27 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,324,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Really? I don't really seem them as that similar. Waynesville has much higher elevation therefore cooler in summer. Although closer to Asheville than Franklin it somehow seems more remote to me (in a good way).
Other than being (SLIGHTLY) cooler in the summer and (significantly) colder in the winter, the 2 towns arent much different. Elevation aside. Maybe I am missing something. I have spent a lot more time in Franklin. In fact, im gonna be there this weekend. What's the weather gonna be like?

Old 07-01-2011, 05:50 PM

25 posts, read 76,822 times
Thanks for your input. I've looked at several areas in Waynesville and I really like it.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:43 PM

172 posts, read 477,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjust View Post
two teenage sons
Ill go ahead and warn you about something, unless they are very outdoorsy, or already have friends here in Waynesville, most days will be spent in boredom for them.....Personal experience

Old 07-01-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-hiker View Post
Ill go ahead and warn you about something, unless they are very outdoorsy, or already have friends here in Waynesville, most days will be spent in boredom for them.....Personal experience
But why?
With all the outdoor activities at their doorstep why would this be?

If they are in school are there not football teams, club activities, and social opportunities?

Let me ask you this; what is missing in Waynesville that is available in other areas? A huge mall? Is this what it takes for desirability to the masses?

Old 07-02-2011, 12:39 AM

172 posts, read 477,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
But why?
With all the outdoor activities at their doorstep why would this be?

If they are in school are there not football teams, club activities, and social opportunities?

Let me ask you this; what is missing in Waynesville that is available in other areas? A huge mall? Is this what it takes for desirability to the masses?
the OP Posted "for vacations and live in for the summer", does not sound like they plan on attending school in Waynesville

and Like I said "unless they are very outdoorsy", there isnt much for teens to enjoy....esp without many friends in the area

Whats missing? Places to go and things to do after work or school...Me and my friends went and walked the lake in out spar time after work/school, but that gets old fast to Teenagers....You can ask anyone between ages 15 and say 21 what there is to do in this town, and you will get back either "nothing", "walk the lake" or "Walmart"

There are plenty of things to do for a Day trip in the outdoors, but for a typical Afternoon with friends? not much going on...

Old 07-02-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-hiker View Post
the OP Posted "for vacations and live in for the summer", does not sound like they plan on attending school in Waynesville

and Like I said "unless they are very outdoorsy", there isnt much for teens to enjoy....esp without many friends in the area

Whats missing? Places to go and things to do after work or school...Me and my friends went and walked the lake in out spar time after work/school, but that gets old fast to Teenagers....You can ask anyone between ages 15 and say 21 what there is to do in this town, and you will get back either "nothing", "walk the lake" or "Walmart"
There are plenty of things to do for a Day trip in the outdoors, but for a typical Afternoon with friends? not much going on...
Ok. Thanks for the input. I believe you it is just that I find it fascinating.
I guess finding "things to do" has a different conotation for different people lol. The ole; different strokes. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina