Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:27 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times

Advertisements

hello CD friends !

it has been 8 weeks since we moved to south Asheville and we adjusted very well. very happy with schools, neighbors, strangers , soccer, outdoors, wild life, restaurants, drumming .... oh, and hair dresser, lol .... and so on

I wonder where to buy

) plants/trees besides the L. and HD or the barn on sweeten creek road. I was hoping to get something on sale this time of the year ?
how about the farmers market, do they sell plants and trees at all ?

) I am also looking for a nice little asian shop. we love to cook thai food.

any input appreciated, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 08:32 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times
For plants and trees, try B.B. Barns.

They run lots specials and will notify you if you sign up for their newsletter. The people there really seem to know their stuff, too.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:46 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,615,390 times
And, Jesse Israel Garden Ctr next to Farmer's Mkt; though pricey last time I wandered in.
Also, Rheems Creek Nursery, on Monticello Rd, off 19/23 north, heading toward Weaverville: pretty interesting stuff their, imo.

We have a couple of fab garden ctrs, with very good pricing this time of year, here in Waynesville, but doubt that is handy for you.

Can't help you on the Thai ingredients...
GL, mD

Reems Creek Valley Nursery, Weaverville, NC : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

Old 09-09-2011, 11:05 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
Western North Carolina University lists these grocery sources for foreign staff:

Foreign Affairs Oriental Market
611 Tunnel Road
Asheville, NC 28805
(828) 299-0333

Kim's Oriental Food & Gift
5 Regent Park Blvd. #110
Asheville, NC 28806
(828) 254-7235

Euro Market
1341 Parkwood Avenue #104
Asheville, NC 28806
(828) 255-8484

Old 09-09-2011, 11:42 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
hello CD friends !

it has been 8 weeks since we moved to south Asheville and we adjusted very well. very happy with schools, neighbors, strangers , soccer, outdoors, wild life, restaurants, drumming .... oh, and hair dresser, lol .... and so on

I wonder where to buy

) plants/trees besides the L. and HD or the barn on sweeten creek road. I was hoping to get something on sale this time of the year ?
how about the farmers market, do they sell plants and trees at all ?

) I am also looking for a nice little asian shop. we love to cook thai food.

any input appreciated, thanks

By the "barn" on Sweeten Creek, I believe you mean B.B. Barns. That is one of the best garden shops around especially when they have a sale; other times can be pricey, but they guarantee their plants and are very knowledgeable. Yes, the Farmers Market usually does have plantings for sale, you have to go around to the back, down below the tourist market. I agree with MotorDavid, Jesse Israel's is a bit pricey for what they offer. If you want to get into Hendersonville, there is a very good place on Rt. 176 (Spartanburg hwy.) called "A Growing Concern", and they are awesome. Spring is the time to by plantings in the mountains though, in the fall you can shop for mums etc., and you can also plant in the fall, but spring is better, not before Mother's Day though. You can still get a hard frost early May. I never bought plants at Lowe's or Home Depot, just my preference -- support the locals. It is always a treat to shop at the Biltmore Estate when they have their annual spring garden show. They have their own greenhouses of course, and the people are very knowledgeable about unusual plants as well.

Can't advise on the Thai either, but there must be some Asian markets downtown Asheville somewhere. Ask about.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:10 PM

thanks so far, great advice ! a neighbor told me, he did not like B.B. barns (maybe it was too pricey, but I will for sure stop by. it's so close anyway.
I always say, I don't have enough money to buy cheap stuff and want them to last for a while.
so far my green thumb is limited - what a rocky soil we have .....

and thanks for the asian food market info. QC, did not forget about your pm, sorry for the delay

Old 09-09-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Western North Carolina University lists these grocery sources for foreign staff:

Foreign Affairs Oriental Market
611 Tunnel Road
Asheville, NC 28805
(828) 299-0333

Kim's Oriental Food & Gift
5 Regent Park Blvd. #110
Asheville, NC 28806
(828) 254-7235

Euro Market
1341 Parkwood Avenue #104
Asheville, NC 28806
(828) 255-8484

funny they list the euro market to get stuff from asia. thanks. they may have some german things, too

Old 09-09-2011, 12:32 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,549 times
I also recommend Jesse Israel at the WNC Farmer's Market, take I-26 and exit at Biltmore Square Mall, but you go down the road the other way, there are signs. It's easy to use I-26 from South Asheville to go to places on the west side of town. They stand behind their plants, every tree or plant I've ever gotten there has lived and lived and lived. But Lowe's and anything less than that, you take a chance, altho their hanging plants do pretty good. Anyway, Jesse Israel's this time of year, I imagine they'll have some sale items. They have locals craft booths under roof directly across the street from there, too, I always like to tour around and check out stuff, I still have a lap quilt I bought there. Jesse israel has an inside place for seed, a greenhouse, a place where they keep the smaller shrubs, and then on the other side down the hill are bunches of larger shrubs and trees, you can ask someone to help you. They have soil and mulch, too.

One thing is, at UNCA every year they have a bunch of plants and trees for sale, seems like it's at the Botanical Gardens outside, but I think that's in spring, you can call UNCA to find out, I suppose, or check Mt Xpress at likely seasons. We got the most beautiful rosebud and also a Japanese maple, just grew fabulous in a shaded area I had in the side yard. We just happened to be over that way and spotted it.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:02 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
funny they list the euro market to get stuff from asia. thanks. they may have some german things, too
No, they aren't listing the Euro Market for Asian stuff; I just cut and pasted their grocery store list for foreign staff in general.

But the Euro Market sounds fun too.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:14 PM

ok, thanks

and to you too, gigimac !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina