Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 06:49 AM

243 posts, read 478,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix is gradually announcing new stores in North Carolina. The closest stores that have been announced or are open are in Buncombe County. I could see increased activity for Publix in new store announcements and openings within the next two years.

Ingle's is staying ahead improving its stores through rebuilds.

Aldi is a limited assortment/discount grocer, not a supermarket. It and Lidl, if it plans to enter Haywood County, will shake up the limited assortment/discount grocery segment.

While not technically a supermarket, Aldi has improved a lot in the last decade and you can buy 80-90% of your food stuff at the new ones for 1/2 the price of a supermarket. Most large grocers could be much smaller, they just choose not to. Ingles has aisle after aisle of 4 to 12 foot sections that have just a couple products on them. They take the same product then stack it 8 wide and 2 deep instead of 2 wide and 8 deep. Aldi makes the most of its space, Ingles makes the last of its space.....and they both do it by design. I guess they can be more generous with space in the south because they don't need to heat the stores much, they just seem too large...almost like they are built large by accident and then they have to find a way to fill the space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 07:36 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneluckymug View Post
Most large grocers could be much smaller, they just choose not to.
Publix's smallest store prototype is 29m (29,000 square feet). Stores in this prototype have the necessities of food and pharmacy, are convenient, and can reach trade areas others are unable to because of their larger store sizes.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:56 AM

Default Ingle's #23, 201 Barber Boulevard, Waynesville, North Carolina 28786-3686

Demolition of Ingle's #23 Mark II is underway. The completion of Ingle's #23 Mark III remains projected for completion by November.

Further reading
"Ingles demolition begins." The Mountaineer. 2016-06-23.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:06 AM

Default Ingle's #23, 201 Barber Boulevard, Waynesville, North Carolina 28786-3686

Demolition of Ingle's #23 Mark II is projected to be completed today. The process must have occurred quickly.

Further reading
Olcsvay, Allison. "Letting go of the ghost." The Mountaineer. 2016-06-27.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:07 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Demolition of Ingle's #23 Mark II is projected to be completed today. The process must have occurred quickly.

Further reading
Olcsvay, Allison. "Letting go of the ghost." The Mountaineer. 2016-06-27.

Surely a lot faster than the demolition taking place in Hendersonville for a new Publix.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:07 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Yes, quickly on the demolition...
Don't quite 'get' what it will be when 'done'.

The new store is still a work in progress in terms of where stuff is, why the stuff is now 'there' vs before, and on and on.
Not a big deal, but it's like a parallel universe.

Parking lot was designed by engineers in a trailer somewhere, way off site with no on site visits, and it probably looked good on a cad screen.

Traffic is up, confusion is common in terms of driving around the lot and I will withhold my "Gee, this new store is great" until they are done, but the 'improvements' are difficult to discern, imo.
GL, mD

Old 06-30-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Surely a lot faster than the demolition taking place in Hendersonville for a new Publix.
That is not the only demolition occurring or have already occurred in Hendersonville. Ingle's #77, 625 Spartanburg Highway, Hendersonville, North Carolina 28792-5762, is undergoing a replacement. Store 77 Mark I should have been demolished by now.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Yes, quickly on the demolition...
Don't quite 'get' what it will be when 'done'.

The new store is still a work in progress in terms of where stuff is, why the stuff is now 'there' vs before, and on and on.
Not a big deal, but it's like a parallel universe.

Parking lot was designed by engineers in a trailer somewhere, way off site with no on site visits, and it probably looked good on a cad screen.

Traffic is up, confusion is common in terms of driving around the lot and I will withhold my "Gee, this new store is great" until they are done, but the 'improvements' are difficult to discern, imo.
GL, mD
Store 23 Mark III should be completely finished by November before the holiday season. A lot will happen quickly over approximately four months.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:12 PM

Default Ingle's #23, 259 Barber Boulevard, Waynesville, North Carolina 28786-3686

Ingle's #23 was issued its pharmacy permit from the North Carolina Board of Pharmacy this week.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:36 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
4 months later, after I last commented on the new Ingles in Waynesville:
-The wine dept is set up like a library minus a Dewey Decimal System.
-The Deli Dept, arguably one of the larger gross margin areas of any grocery store, is understaffed, staffed with people learning on the job, has one cheese slicer machine, and the wait times are interminable. Even the floor area 'mgr', who called over reinforcements from the prepared foods section, admitted it was 'a mess'.
-Bigger in floor space, but not better in any way that my CEO & I can discern.

All anecdotal, but that is what grocery shopping usually is...

The rumblings of a Publix practically across the street are encouraging, but I wouldn't bet on it: the demographics of Waynesville, even with the non Rez summer gang, doesn't seem to support another G Store, and many of the lower income area people will not shop at a store with Pub's prices, imo.

I hope mgmt gets this Ingles sorted out. The old joint was 'better' in many/most ways, but I doubt Ingles Corporate really cares.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 10-07-2016 at 05:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina