Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 09:38 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,291,481 times

Advertisements

The long awaited expansion of Ingle's Markets #23, located at 201 Barber Boulevard, Waynesville, North Carolina 28786-3686, and redevelopment of its site may be moving forward.

Expansion plans for Ingle's Markets #23 have been existent for several years. What was to be an expansion to 120,000 square feet was scaled down to 105,000 square feet and eliminating a garden center, and now down to 90,000 square feet. The addition will include a pharmacy with a drive through and a fuel station. The store will shift toward Howell Mill Road in its expansion occupying vacancies including Goody's. This might be a rebuild as a 40,000 square feet unnamed tenant will locate in part of Ingle's Markets #23's existing location. Ingle's Markets does not have a timetable for construction.

Chick-fil-A and another restaurant are planned for the site's redevelopment.

From Smoky Mountain News:

Further reading:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 12:09 PM

95 posts, read 171,195 times
Very interesting. Thanks for the update. At least we will be able to use the fuel rewards on our Ingles card now, instead of having to go to Canton's.

So strange that the old Belk will still remain vacant.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:32 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,621,811 times
Good, if a ways off in future.
A few thoughts:
-hope the construction project is not debilitating to an already sketchy ingress/egress, and a current crowded parking lot that is populated by orbiting cars looking for that close in spot or handicap spot with the ubiquitous and often misused hang tag.
-ditto above for the gas station area, which is not clear on the map above.
-Chick-fil-A and/or another fast food joint is not the answer to anyone's question, imo.
-fast food joints, maybe a tenant for the former Belk, bigger Ingles, but the two roads in and out, both of which feed Russ Ave, won't be 'bigger'.

Not a "let's keep things like they are for the next century", but that end of Russ Ave is a zoning and planning nightmare, imo. None of the stuff proposed is of the wonderful 'improvement' category in my opin...
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 02-09-2015 at 07:00 PM..

Old 02-09-2015, 05:46 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 772,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
but the two roads in and out, both of which feed Russ Ave, won't be 'bigger'.
Three roads. Two onto Russ ave and one down to Howell Mill road. But I agree that this is a planning nightmare. I feel that they really messed it up when they put that divider where the center turn lane used to be. As it is now, the traffic in the left turn slot for Ingles backs up so fast that the left travel lane is brought to a standstill, which results in the people stuck in the left lane attempting to make dangerous lane changes into the right lane.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:44 PM

I have seen several Ingle's Markets stores expand on the dairy, beer and wine side to accommodate the walk in beer cooler and pharmacy. In the case of Ingle's Markets #23, its shifting on the side of fresh foods (delicatessen, bakery, produce) into the former Goody's will give it better visibility.

As for the new access road from Russ Avenue, I hope it will go behind the old Belk to tie in with Ingle's #23. I would not mind seeing two left turn lanes from Russ Avenue onto Barber Boulevard.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:46 PM

Ingle's Markets has secured a building permit from the Town of Waynesville to rebuild store #23 at a cost of $7.5 million. The permit is good for one year, which means construction should occur in the next fiscal year.

Chick-fil-A is now confirmed for an outparcel.

Further reading:
Johnson, Becky. "'Ingle's on the Hill" Poised for $7.5 Million Construction Project." Smoky Mountain News. 2015-07-15.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:59 PM

Default Ingle's Markets #23, 201 Barber Boulevard, Waynesville, North Carolina 28786-3686

Construction on the expansion and rebuilding of Ingle's Markets #23 is underway. The former Goody's store adjacent to the D-side and everything else southeast was demolished in July. The outline and foundation of the expansion is nearing completion.

The left turn lane from Russ Avenue southeast onto Barber Boulevard has been extended.

Further reading:

Old 03-22-2016, 10:31 AM

Default Ingle's #23, 201 Barber Boulevard, Waynesville, North Carolina 28786-3686

The new Ingle's #23 is coming along very quickly. About two-thirds of the new store is up and nearly ready for the bakery, delicatessen, meat, produce and seafood departments and Starbucks to relocate. Pavement for the parking lot in front of this section of the store is yet to be completed.

The existing store will be razed for the new store to finish construction with the pharmacy and walk-in beer cooler.

A second traffic signalized intersection at Russ Avenue and Frazier Street is now operational.

I-Market #723, 201 Barber Boulevard, Waynesville, North Carolina 28786-3686
Ingle's #23 will be accompanied by I-Market #723, Ingle's gas station with a convenience store. I-Market stores are not counted as additional stores.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:08 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,416,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Good, if a ways off in future.
A few thoughts:
-hope the construction project is not debilitating to an already sketchy ingress/egress, and a current crowded parking lot that is populated by orbiting cars looking for that close in spot or handicap spot with the ubiquitous and often misused hang tag.
-ditto above for the gas station area, which is not clear on the map above.
-Chick-fil-A and/or another fast food joint is not the answer to anyone's question, imo.
-fast food joints, maybe a tenant for the former Belk, bigger Ingles, but the two roads in and out, both of which feed Russ Ave, won't be 'bigger'.

Not a "let's keep things like they are for the next century", but that end of Russ Ave is a zoning and planning nightmare, imo. None of the stuff proposed is of the wonderful 'improvement' category in my opin...
GL, mD
I would have said the same about Chick-fil-A a year ago. I never wanted to go in them. They put one in where I am and I've changed my mind. It's their revamped salads that are so great. Someone did a taste test of all the fast food salads and Chick-fil-A won. They really are better than most.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:47 PM

Default I-Market #723, 201 Barber Boulevard, Waynesville, North Carolina 28786-3686

I-Market #723 opened for business Wednesday, 27 April 2016.

Further reading
Olcsvay, Allison. "New Ingles Market and gas station now open." The Mountaineer. 2016-04-28.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina