Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 05:05 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,276,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
4 months later, after I last commented on the new Ingles in Waynesville:
-The wine department is set up like a library minus a Dewey Decimal System.
Is the rest of the new store 23 is complete with the pharmacy, beer cooler, and wine section?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid
The Deli Department, arguably one of the larger gross margin areas of any grocery store, is understaffed, staffed with people learning on the job, has one cheese slicer machine, and the wait times are interminable. Even the floor area 'manager', who called over reinforcements from the prepared foods section, admitted it was 'a mess'.
I notice many Ingle's supermarkets are adding more stations to its delicatessens and are constantly hiring for delicatessen clerks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid
The rumblings of a Publix practically across the street are encouraging, but I wouldn't bet on it: the demographics of Waynesville, even with the non-residential summer gang, doesn't seem to support another grocery store, and many of the lower income area people will not shop at a store with Publix's prices, in my opinion.
I can see a shift in supermarkets in Waynesville without a change in store count. BI-LO #5168, Mountain Creek Plaza, 366 Russ Avenue, Waynesville, North Carolina 28786-2905, is speculated to close soon. Publix in Waynesville would not change the store count.

Publix's prices are usually low and are on par with Ingle's. Not having a loyalty card program allows Publix to operate with one less expense to create and maintain a program. BI-LO's prices are the highest around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 11:05 AM

395 posts, read 463,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
BI-LO's prices are the highest around.
I guess they should have called themselves BI-HI! wahahahaha

Old 10-08-2016, 04:34 PM

4,792 posts, read 10,618,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Is the rest of the new store 23 is complete with the pharmacy, beer cooler, and wine section?
No...it is 'in process' as they say in the corp buzz word dept. The bev mgr told me it is supposed to be very good, when done. No date was offered...Pharm looks like any pharm, just slightly diff than the previous version. I don't buy meds, so I don't pay attention to it.

I notice many Ingle's supermarkets are adding more stations to its delicatessens and are constantly hiring for delicatessen clerks.
I notice that this Ingles is understaffed, esp in the deli area. At $8 to $9 an hour, I can understand the dearth of help and the lack of any tenure: who the hell wants to work for just above min wage, unless one is desperate for a job? The commute, taxes, etc leave a worker with chump, and the cold cut section is like being a bartender in a busy bar on Friday night: they just keep coming at you. It takes some skill, attention, experience and desire to handle deli counter sales; I get that. Maybe if Ingles, et al paid a bit more they could attract better help.

I can see a shift in supermarkets in Waynesville without a change in store count. BI-LO #5168, Mountain Creek Plaza, 366 Russ Avenue, Waynesville, North Carolina 28786-2905, is speculated to close soon. Publix in Waynesville would not change the store count.

My point wasn't 'Store Count'. I've been to that Bi-Lo maybe twice...I hope Pub comes but we aren't a store desert in Waynesville, just store quality lacking, imo.

Publix's prices are usually low and are on par with Ingle's. Not having a loyalty card program allows Publix to operate with one less expense to create and maintain a program. BI-LO's prices are the highest around.
Don't care about Bi-Lo, and I slightly disagree that Pub is on par with Ingles, esp for the real name brands vs their in store PL brands.

Not beating on Ingles, but I look forward to when it is fully 'done', but they really have to address their staffing. Every employee is friendly there, but they are understaffed and harried, esp with the re-do and on site confusion...

My CEO, who is very difficult to pizz off, was so cranked on a few trips, (esp the dysfunctional deli counter), that she did an online comment to that Ingles with polite criticism. She got the 'we are efforting' bs back. Typical...I don't quite get the cheerleading for Ingles or any joint, in western NC. We live here, we buy stuff, we put up with what the market/demographics offers. But, it could be better if the company(s) worked at it with a bit of real effort, imo.

Last edited by motordavid; 10-08-2016 at 06:03 PM..

Old 10-08-2016, 06:21 PM

395 posts, read 463,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
She got the 'we are efforting' bs back. Typical...I don't quite get the cheerleading for Ingles or any joint, in western NC. We live here, we buy stuff, we put up with what the market/demographics offers. But, it could be better if the company(s) worked at it with a bit of real effort, imo.
And yet another reason to buy at farmers markets as much as possible.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:25 PM

4,792 posts, read 10,618,753 times
^ We do, almost every Sat at the Hart Theater FM.
My CEO was down there today, in the rain, buying local duck, heritage porky from Keela at Worley Farms, and late 'maters & kale.
GL, mD

Old 11-14-2016, 08:37 PM

21,025 posts, read 27,276,302 times
Default Ingle's #23, 259 Barber Boulevard, Waynesville, North Carolina 28786-3686

Ingle's #23 will have its grand reopening Wednesday, 16 November 2016. The pharmacy, the 101st for Ingle's, will open for business.

Further reading
"Grand reopening for Ingles is Wednesday." The Mountaineer. 2016-11-14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina