Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 06:14 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Any suggestions for a good place that is not a chain? Seems most places we have tried have food that is on the bland side. We like some kick to our Mexican dishes. Have traveled a lot in the southwest so may just be spoiled and hard to please. Thanks!

Sol Y Luna, family owned. 3 locations. 2 in Hendersonville, (1 downtown, 1 in Laurel Park)
and another on Hendersonville Road in Asheville.

Excellent.

www.solylunanc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 06:25 AM

679 posts, read 1,460,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Sol Y Luna, family owned. 3 locations. 2 in Hendersonville, (1 downtown, 1 in Laurel Park)

Excellent.

www.solylunanc.com

The Sol Y Luna on Hendersonville Road has been getting our Mexican restaurant business lately, too. Very good.

A second for Limone's, too, although it is in a different class of restaurant.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:34 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Any suggestions for a good place that is not a chain? Seems most places we have tried have food that is on the bland side. We like some kick to our Mexican dishes. Have traveled a lot in the southwest so may just be spoiled and hard to please. Thanks!
This place is excellent tsmw47. Been there quite a few times.

Zia Taqueria - West Asheville - Asheville | Urbanspoon

Old 02-14-2015, 10:11 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
Have seen Zia need to try, thanks. So they have good stuff? ZIA is a Zuni symbol I think, on NM license plates. Thanks for all suggestions trying new places not a hardship :-)

Old 02-14-2015, 10:19 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
AAB just checked out Zia's menu, they sound good, New Mexican is food listed and they have sopapillas!! If they ask red or green I'll think I'm in heaven!

Old 02-14-2015, 01:16 PM

395 posts, read 462,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undisputed_truth View Post
I've tried them all (yes, pretty much literally).

The best in Hendersonville are:
El Paso
I just dined there a few days ago and must say it was one of the worst experiences I have had in a long time. Not only was the chicken one of my co-diners ordered very dry, but the "cheese" sauce in my other co-diner's food was, I don't know what, but seemed to have very little to do with cheese. I would be happy to tell you what my dinner was like, but the waiter somehow never put the order in so when the other people's dinner came and mine didn't, I would have had to wait at least another 10-15 minutes before mine came out so I opted to pass. The waiter clearly had trouble with the English language since he did not accomadate the couple of requests we made, such as no croutons in the salad (which, by the way, looked and tasted like it was at least a day old), and instead stood there with a sort of strange grin on his face when we asked him to keep them off. I think it is important people working with the public be able to have a good command of the English language. From the other waitstaff I saw working there, many appeared to have a bit of trouble with English.
Needless to say, it was the first and definitely the last time we will ever go in there.

I am happy to see some of the other recommendations people have made for Mexican food and am looking forward to trying a couple.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:22 PM

685 posts, read 720,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
tsmw,
Here are TA's opins:
Best Asheville Restaurants: See 644 restaurants in Asheville, NC with 47,613 reviews - TripAdvisor

We have eaten in a few on that list: Bandidos, El Que Pasa, Mamcitas, & Tacos Jalisco.
All of the three are OK to good; none are really like any corner joint one can find in the 'SW', let alone really good joints in the SW, imo. I would give a slight nod to Tacos Jalisco...
My 50 Cts.
GL, mD
motordavid: Bandidos is good but they're not Mexican but rather Latin per their own advertising. We've watched their rise after they opened and hopefully their prices are still reasonable. Can't beat their carmelized fried plantains.

I don't know any close to Mexican that I'd recommend here. We've been to a few and keep bombing out.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:09 PM

411 posts, read 613,933 times
If you're looking for Tex Mex, not fusion, then try out Nachos and Beer (not Papas and Beer) in Fairview. It has the same menu as other Tex Mex places, but tastes better and has extremely strong Cadillac margaritas. It's in a building that was a 50's-themed diner, and they didn't change the décor (just threw some sombreros around and called it a day). It's entertaining.

Love Bandidos, too. They have great plantains.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:00 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
AAB just checked out Zia's menu, they sound good, New Mexican is food listed and they have sopapillas!! If they ask red or green I'll think I'm in heaven!
The food is excellent, give it a try you won't be sorry.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:43 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

Excellent.

www.solylunanc.com
Sol Y Luna is your most consistently above average place in the area, but it can still be hit or miss based on what you order.

Papas and Beer is good sometimes.

A few other places have fresh ingredients, but somehow still manage to be middle of the road. Always thought that was strange.

Outside of those two places you're talking a fairly long drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina