Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 06:51 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoundNeedHelp View Post
A 1-bedroom could go as much as $1,300, but yet there are barely any high paying jobs in this city. My question is who is renting these pricey apartments?

Your preaching to the choir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 08:00 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine7910 View Post
As someone who has been looking since May for land or a house you are right only about 25% of homes are $200K or less and a lot of those in that price range were built in the 60's, 70's, or 80's and need a lot of updating. I have seem a few that still have those huge microwave ovens in them and green carpet. If $200K is already your max and the house is $220, then you may get it for $200K, but it leaves you no money for update.

$200K seems like a lot of money to get decent land to build a home or a home already built, but it's not really. And we have widened our search to 45 minutes away from Asheville.

I think for us it is been harder due to things we are looking for, like not being in a subdivision and no restriction and not on the side of a mountain.
It's my experience that anything sub 300K is getting multiple offers and going at or above asking. I recently purchased a house at 432.5K that was at asking. I was lucky to get it before it hit the market as it I feel it would have gone to a bidding war. This was my brokers feeling too.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:55 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine7910 View Post
We are a family of 5 and live in an apartment. I hate having people above me and on the side of me. My neighbors now either, thump their music too loud or walk very heavy and I hear them. I want to have a yard for my kids to run and play in and I don't have to worry about them being bullied.

Christine: my previous post to you got deleted, and was totally my fault for putting a link on here for the r/e search I did. (I had no intention to 'direct' anyone to an agent's website, was in too much of a hurry to help out and should have known better.)

To recap though, in case you didn't get where they are, there are currently 49 homes for sale in your price range (from $125K to approx. $225K) in Henderson, Madison, and Buncombe counties. Many are in very nice condition, pretty kitchens, one that I recall has about 1.25 acres of land and well kept property.

I hope you can find something for you and your family; because buying land and building (if you've never done it before) can be quite expensive. Much more so than the initial quote(s) you get.

My best wishes to you all.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:48 PM

119 posts, read 173,337 times
Thanks QC. We are doing the land home with Clayton home, we are not doing a doublewide, it will be off frame modular, so it can have value to it (maybe not as much as a site built, but more then doublewide).

Old 09-23-2015, 05:10 AM

159 posts, read 156,597 times
They need to do what the auto loans did. Once vehicles were overpriced they had to extend the loan terms. Now you can get 7 yr auto loans; 6 year loans are the standard now. People can't afford 30 yr mortgage anymore. We need to create 50 yr mortgage so people can buy houses again.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:42 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahh Life View Post
They need to do what the auto loans did. Once vehicles were overpriced they had to extend the loan terms. Now you can get 7 yr auto loans; 6 year loans are the standard now. People can't afford 30 yr mortgage anymore. We need to create 50 yr mortgage so people can buy houses again.

Isn't that fairly common in some areas on the west coast where wages (although higher than here) haven't kept up with housing costs for years? I'm thinking places like San Jose, etc. where it's worse than here. I think you can get a 50 yr note out there (not that it helps all that much out there).

Old 09-23-2015, 02:57 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Already created:

Is a 50-Year Mortgage a Good Idea? - Budgeting Money

Old 09-23-2015, 03:26 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:

You may be surprised to learn that many homes purchased here in Western NC are cash transactions, no mortgages.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:14 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,305 times
Quote:
Ever do the math on interest paid vs depreciation on a 6 year loan? Sure, the bank will absolutely love you for it, but is it the best financial decision for you?? Personally I'll pass...

Old 10-07-2015, 05:31 PM

18 posts, read 43,253 times
A bit off-topic but what really pisses me off is that if you look at the ads on Craigs List, the apartment complex will show maybe seven photos, with one of the mountains or downtown, one of their fitness center, another of their business center (i.e. a printer), then maybe their complex sign, a picture of a dog ("Hey, Fido is welcome here, too!"), and a few paltry playground items. Plus an exterior, a kitchen shot, and maybe one or two other interiors.
But with a 1% vacancy rate, they don't really have to work that hard, now do they. Sux, man, sux.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina