Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 06:40 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,977,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
You may be surprised to learn that many homes purchased here in Western NC are cash transactions, no mortgages.

That'd be the retirees from the NE and FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 09:28 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,998,661 times
It's simply supply and demand. That's why I'm in Franklin now. It's beautiful here, but it's definitely not convenient and has limited amenities, but it's a lot less expensive. I checked out SC and even in the upstate, the summer heat was unbearable, although I thought Greenville was a very nice city.

Sorry to go off-topic, but I was just watching an old Law & Order episode from the 90s and one of the detectives commented on the cost of housing and the other said something like, "Those prices are ruining the neighborhoods. I mean, how can working parents afford to support their families?"

I think that happens in any city in demand for whatever reason. Asheville has nice weather, lots of restaurants and other amenities and is (comparatively) culturally diverse. So it has become a prime destination for second homes and retirees who don't want to live in Florida. Just my opinion.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,998,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Ever do the math on interest paid vs depreciation on a 6 year loan? Sure, the bank will absolutely love you for it, but is it the best financial decision for you?? Personally I'll pass...
I agree. My last car was financed for 66 months, but I paid the loan off early. At the time I purchased it, I didn't have a trade (long story) and wanted a reliable car. The lower payment is the only reason to get a 66 or 72 month loan as long as you plan to pay it off early. Otherwise, it's better to get a less expensive car so you're not upside down for most of the loan.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:55 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,626,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
That'd be the retirees from the NE and FL.

From everywhere. And not necessarily retirees.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:53 AM

730 posts, read 780,641 times
Quote:
Yep. It may be hard for locals to swallow but Asheville RE is still cheap compared to most other urban areas across the country. A Montford type location in Houston, TX is going to run $650-800k for a 5500sqft lot with no house.

Read Austin, Tx city data for the last 15-20 years to understand the likely trajectory for Asheville RE values.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Almost all are retirees.

The fine working folks of WNC dont have the jobs to support cash home purchases, unless they sold some land to a developer, more than likely from Charlotte, Atlanta and/or FL... those developers have bigger pockets.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
Yep. It may be hard for locals to swallow but Asheville RE is still cheap compared to most other urban areas across the country. A Montford type location in Houston, TX is going to run $650-800k for a 5500sqft lot with no house.

Read Austin, Tx city data for the last 15-20 years to understand the likely trajectory for Asheville RE values.

You really cant compare Houston to AVL tho. And Austin TX has the jobs (TX in general does very well economically compared to other states). AVL's job situation, not so much. When you have teachers, firefighters, cops making $30k. I love AVL but ppl wont move there in large #'s with those salaries.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:26 AM

366 posts, read 1,019,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post

The wages are higher and it's not an apples to apples comparison when you compare a city with 885,000 people and 1.9million in the metro area to Asheville.

Quote:
You really cant compare Houston to AVL tho. And Austin TX has the jobs (TX in general does very well economically compared to other states). AVL's job situation, not so much. When you have teachers, firefighters, cops making $30k. I love AVL but ppl wont move there in large #'s with those salaries.
I agree about it being not being a good comparison. However, most of the people moving to Asheville aren't concerned about the job market and low wages. Many are already retired or have higher level positions that allow them to work from home. I just hope Asheville doesn't lose its unique vibe when those who live and work here get pushed out from the city.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa View Post
The wages are higher and it's not an apples to apples comparison when you compare a city with 885,000 people and 1.9million in the metro area to Asheville.

I agree about it being not being a good comparison. However, most of the people moving to Asheville aren't concerned about the job market and low wages. Many are already retired or have higher level positions that allow them to work from home. I just hope Asheville doesn't lose its unique vibe when those who live and work here get pushed out from the city.

my point exactly.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:31 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,565,353 times
Quote:
Almost all are retirees.
Not to belabor this point, but just because people have a first, second, third, or fourth home in the Asheville area, it doesn't mean they are all retirees or even full-time residents. Where do you see the documentation for the assertion that "almost all" are retirees? Many of them might be more accurately described as seasonal or part-time homeowners, whatever their employment status.

Quote:
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina