Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:14 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
And how do you know that Kmarc? I'll send you a DM about how amazing Amazon is to their employees, a personally witnessed recent fact. Truly wonderful.
This is good news. Send it to the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
So, I take it you are going to offer them your spare bedroom or room in your basement if this does not work out for them?
What kind of a question is that? I just gave the OP a lead on a job for their partner, which is more than you did. And QC says Amazon is a great employer (despite the hack job that the NYT did on them recently, I should have known better) These young folks need opportunity and encouragement.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:59 PM

679 posts, read 1,461,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
What kind of a question is that? I just gave the OP a lead on a job for their partner, which is more than you did. And QC says Amazon is a great employer (despite the hack job that the NYT did on them recently, I should have known better) These young folks need opportunity and encouragement.
The point of that question is this: you are providing inspiration, hope, and urging them to do what is, at best, a risky move HOWEVER (a word defined as disregard everything before this word) you have no skin in the game. None. It is quite easy to encourage others to take the risk when you have nothing at all at stake.

There is no doubt they need opportunity. They also need to carefully assess the upsides and downsides of what they are considering. Despite all your ranting (your words, not mine), there are very definitely downsides. Things don't always (usually do not) go as hoped or planned. If they go into it with their eyes open, that is their decision.

And if the OP's boyfriend is trying to pursue a career in IT, the Amazon job is not it. It is a level one customer service job. Not IT customer service, order processing customer service. It will not further a budding career in IT. If he is not tied to IT, then all bets are off.

The OP asked a question: should her boyfriend move here without having a job lined up. The advice from me is no, not if he is giving one up to do so. $1200 isn't much, but it is greater than $0. And $1200 in a field he wants to pursue (if that is what he is doing) is better than a $1200 a month job that is irrelevant to his future.

Obviously you see it differently.

We have both provided our input to her question. She and her boyfriend can (should) assess the pluses and minuses and make their decision, knowing the risks. Unless, of course, you are going to tell them there is no need for that.

With that, I'd say you and I have nothing more to discuss here. But feel free to rant on.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:56 AM

395 posts, read 462,863 times
I always think to myself when faced with a more difficult decision, what is the worst thing that could happen? In your case, you are both quite young, have no children, and do not own a house. So you are quite free. You have a landlord that knows the situation and is willing to work with you. How fortunate! I think this is the time to take risks, take chances, and have possible adventures. The worst that can happen? You no longer can afford the rent and have to move out. I am sure you have family and friends you could stay with for a while in the worst case scenario. I think this is the time to go after what you want to do and take risks. Right now, your boyfriend is thinking IT, for example. That could change with different experiences which could lead to being exposed to other things he never even thought of, and have him find he wants to pursue a different course as a career. Or maybe not. Anything is possible! Things often come across one's path that change one's direction. Especially at this age. You are both quite young. Later there is plenty of time to be prudent and careful and all that comes with it. This, however, is the time for experiences and adventures, trying things and seeing if they will work. If they don't, oh well. At least you tried instead of playing it safe all the time, which can kill creativity and put one in a stifling box, metaphorically speaking. If you ever have children, separately or together, that is when the priorities change dramatically. But now, live free and take risks! If you both really want to make a go of it with your new idea, my vote would be to go for it! What is the worst thing that can happen, after all?

Old 09-20-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
I always think to myself when faced with a more difficult decision, what is the worst thing that could happen? In your case, you are both quite young, have no children, and do not own a house. So you are quite free. You have a landlord that knows the situation and is willing to work with you. How fortunate! I think this is the time to take risks, take chances, and have possible adventures. The worst that can happen? You no longer can afford the rent and have to move out. I am sure you have family and friends you could stay with for a while in the worst case scenario. I think this is the time to go after what you want to do and take risks. Right now, your boyfriend is thinking IT, for example. That could change with different experiences which could lead to being exposed to other things he never even thought of, and have him find he wants to pursue a different course as a career. Or maybe not. Anything is possible! Things often come across one's path that change one's direction. Especially at this age. You are both quite young. Later there is plenty of time to be prudent and careful and all that comes with it. This, however, is the time for experiences and adventures, trying things and seeing if they will work. If they don't, oh well. At least you tried instead of playing it safe all the time, which can kill creativity and put one in a stifling box, metaphorically speaking. If you ever have children, separately or together, that is when the priorities change dramatically. But now, live free and take risks! If you both really want to make a go of it with your new idea, my vote would be to go for it! What is the worst thing that can happen, after all?
^^^^This.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:47 AM

And that was my point with the Amazon job, or others like it. It may not be IT (although some IT skills are called for) but it's a job that probably pays better than what he's earning now, would enable him to move to NC, work from home and explore his options from there.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:46 AM

119 posts, read 173,444 times
OP: If you boyfriend does not mind doing something other then IT for the time being (to have some kind of an income, until better comes along) The biltmore will be doing an open house for jobs at their new hotel in Oct. It may help get his foot in the door to something better and more money down the road.

I can tell you that it is very hard living here on one income alone. I have friends (boyfriend & Girlfriend) to where she works, he works and he in the the Army Reserve and want to buy a house due to rent going up every year. They pay $1,000 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment.

I say go for the move as long as both of you have a job. My son is only 1 person and has to live with room mates just to have a place and he is making $10.50 an hour.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:48 PM

So far, it's 3-2 in favor of the move. Of course, since I'm not a resident, my vote could be discounted and we might consider it a tie.

And where, oh where, is the OP? What does the OP think of what has been said so far?

Old 09-20-2015, 02:46 PM

363 posts, read 439,717 times
I am not in NC, I am replying as someone who took a risk and made a (cross-country!) move when I was younger. Similar to OP's BF, I quit my low-paying job and lit out for the wild blue yonder. I stayed rent-free with family until I had a stable job, then the plan was to save for an apartment of my own. I ended up staying with them for six months (found job in 3), then I quit my job and moved back to where I started, only now everything I owned was in storage, and I had spent "my life savings" to move my crap back & forth 3,000 miles, & sold my car for a plane ticket. Since I had given up my old apartment and quit my job, I had to move in with relatives again. Took another six months to save enough for a car, find an apartment, get a temporary job, which eventually became a 'permanent' one. Was it worth it? Yes, for me it was. I suppose I could've made a career out of either job, working my way up the corporate ladder (one job was in waste management, the other a utility company) but neither prospect really interested me. In fact, I will toss my hat in the ring with a vote that OP's BF join her in NC, as love conquers all, lol. Seriously, the bigger issues are whether OP will feel taken advantage of if BF doesn't contribute money to the household, so I would talk about that up front.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:38 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chayot View Post
Hey there WNC,

My boyfriend and I have been together long distance for a while (he lives in Chattanooga and me in Swannanoa). I make roughly $1400 a month at a production job, and he makes $1200 at his IT job and we are both 21.We have both decided that for how much we spend traveling every weekend, it would be better to move in with eachother.

We have been saving up for a month and we each have our own $1000 to put towards deposits, etc. We have toured apartments but we are really liking this cute little apartment in Swannanoa that allows for gardening space, owning a chicken, and using this workshop space (I sew and sell toys on the side).

Our hang up now is that he is trying to find a job long distance and it is very difficult. The landlord is willing to work with us and defer some of the rent cost until he can find a job. Does anyone have any advice on moving first then finding a job? or would you guys advise against it?

I hope we can find a more objective POV since my partner and I are a little biased to move in together, and our parents are biased against it. Thanks!
Since you are asking opinions, here is mine:

I have worked for years with fresh out of college wonderful young people and I have seen them make the decision to move in together' for convenience' and 'to save travel costs'. I have yet to see that work out in the long run.

Also, he would be foolish to give up his job and move to Swannanoa to save travel costs and raise a chicken. Absolutely foolish if he has a career in IT as you say. Now if he got a career job in the area or moved to a better position, fine.

And being objective POV as you asked, if he were my child I would be totally against it and consider it on the wrong edge of decisions without a comparable job. If he is in IT, to go somewhere and have to take a job wiping off tables would not set well with me. As your parent, I wouldn't be crazy about it either but at least you aren't giving up your lifestyle, career, and prospects.

Now I can understand moving to a new place without a job, I did it myself in the late 70s and it was hard but I did it. Would not recommend it in this economy. But mistakes made early are more easily recovered from than those made later in life.

So good luck. Do wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina