Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 07:00 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,610,355 times

Advertisements

DrFranklin, Thank you for the less extreme map update!

I think we all prefer the more optomistic news, and I hope the weather guessers who did that one, (NWS), are correct
as we need another half foot or foot of rain like we all need to be a decade older.

The radar is ugly, as the 'rain train' coming up out of the Atlantic off the SC coast is formidable:

Waynesville, NC Interactive Weather Radar Map - AccuWeather.com

Everyone stay dry and safe, and I hope the AVL airport rain gauge gets back to 'no deficit'.
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 09:55 AM

389 posts, read 662,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
When I first read the title of your post the thought occurred to me that you just might be tieing one on. Carry on and stay safe and dry MD.
We're arriving in Waynesville in two weeks for our annual visit and hope beautiful autumn weather has replaced the rain by then. But if not, even though we're well past the point in our lives where we "tie one on," Waynesville's microbreweries and taprooms are an appealing indoor option!

Old 10-03-2015, 04:27 PM

99 posts, read 188,775 times
We came here last Thursday for vacation and have not been happy with this awful rain. It hasn't kept us inside though, but haven't been able to do all we wanted.

Barb

Old 10-04-2015, 09:20 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
How's the flooding? TV websites sound like it could be bad, rivers running high. Any first hand reports?

Old 10-04-2015, 09:56 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
How's the flooding? TV websites sound like it could be bad, rivers running high. Any first hand reports?

Here is this morning's Hendersonville paper website:

www.blueridgenow.com

Front page article and several photos about flooding, and the Rocky Broad River down at Lake Lure.

Also, check the Asheville paper:

www.citizen-times.com

Looks like all the rescue and fire departments were ready for anything major.

It is still raining a bit west of Hendersonville; cabin fever is setting in ! For the most part though, we have been very lucky, nothing major to report.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:01 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Yeah, I just was wanting to hear from real live C-D people. I know the newspapers, and especially the TV stations, are in the business of getting people to watch/buy papers/read websites.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:38 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
The suns out....yeaaaaaaaaaa!

Old 10-04-2015, 11:27 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
My paternal grandmother came from Edinburg; I am part Scot...I have a half dozen different single malts in the pantry and I am going to have a couple/three fingers full in a glass, while I have the chicken on the grill outside.

Poifect weather for a scotch while dinner is grilling: 48 degs, an occasional cold breeze, fogged in to the window wall, and raining.

GL, mD
Knew there was a reason I liked you. Highland Scots abound in my tree, we were there in early May and LOVED the pubs in Edinburgh inviting and friendly. A fire and Scotch what's not to like... just need it to be a bit cooler. Stick around for some winter here great for Scotch drinking.
Sun poking through but very breezy hope this is the end. Poppy's flood stories almost sent me for the bottle Yikes!

Old 10-04-2015, 04:32 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,610,355 times
tsmw47: We have vacay'd in Scotland twice, driving a rental car literally all over the country both trips, from Oban to The Orkneys, and Lewis & Harris to Dornoch, plus lots of days in Edinburgh. I get off the plane in The Ol'Sod and everyone looks like me, lol!

I had a my first whisky(s) of this Autumn season Friday eve, as it was 47 degs, windy, damp, soaked and has been ugly up here for the past 10+ days: a couple fingers of Tomatin 12 and three fingers of Bowmore 16, both of which warmed the cockles of my heart and provided some respite from thinking about our leaking skylights and window wall.

AAB: We drove down our Mtn road, dodging fallen trees, limbs and power lines and hit the Asheville Quilt Show today. My CEO entered two art quilts and took a 3rd in art pictorial and an Innovative Technique award for another art quilt. In the A'ville area it was nearly 70, some sun, some blue sky, and everyone and their fam was out driving around shopping, etc. Tunnel Rd was like mid town Manhattan on Friday afternoon.

We drove back west and up, to 50 degrees, spitting rain, fogged in and 50+ mph winds...different place up here than greater Asheville.

Another day or two and we may get a dénouement to this current weather up here, as it has been nearly 'Cane Francis & Ivan like on our Mtn...but, we are not in the lowlands of SC, or even mid SC, where those unfortunate people are getting flooded out.

GL, mD

Old 10-04-2015, 06:25 PM

99 posts, read 188,775 times
We traveled from Maggie Valley, to Waynesville, to Beech Mountain, Boone and Blowing Rock and back down today. The worst was in the upper areas but no problem with flooded roads or trees in roads, just nasty rain and wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina