Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 07:51 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,413 times

Advertisements

We had lunch at the Pisgah Inn (the pumpkin soup was out of this world) yesterday, and later walked down to the lower Graveyard Falls. It was such a beautiful, bright shiny day. There was lots of color. We did have to get onto the parkway, in a roundabout way, because the entrance near Asheville was closed for tree clearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 02:15 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Default "Having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave. la, la, la"

I'm surprised there aren't any active threads about the weather this week. 70 degrees on Christmas Day?

Although I'm far from Asheville in Macon County, we usually have similar weather. One of my cable news channel is in Asheville, WLOS so I'm aware of the weather throughout WNC. It has been raining continuously, although we're not experiencing the flooding they're getting in Upstate SC. Every time I see the sun struggling to peek through the clouds, it's frightened away by heavy downpours. I thought Florida had the loudest thunder and brightest lightning, but I was ready to hide in the closet a couple of nights ago. It's still beautiful in the mountains, however, even when it's raining.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:40 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
I was in Erwin, Elizabethton and Johnson City today (Monday) and while there were sprinkles occasionally you could see spots of blue sky and occasional sunbeams. Yesterday (sunday) was beautiful in NE TN. Just a suggestion to check the regional weather maps, especially now that I-26 is open. The mountains were visibly holding back the weather. I know it works both ways and you all benefit a lot of the time.

My nature suggestion is a new TN park called rocky fork. Right now it is just a sign and some trails but IMO it's the most beautiful creek on the west side of the smokies. I'm sure the recent rains made the cascades more impressive.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:17 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
Thanks for the park suggestion will check it out. We had so much rain last week the little seasonal creek by our house had rapids! At the moment the wind is howling off the ridge above us. Folks around here call it freight train ridge and tonight it is living up to it.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:33 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,364,859 times
I'm building an arc. We've had so much rain here in Laurel Pond (oops ... I mean "Park") since September, I feel like I'm drowning. Dehumidifiers running constantly, needing an empty every 8 hours or so. Hard to keep the mold in check.

Just glad, at this point, it ain't snow.

DAMNED OBAMA!!!!! ;-)

Old 12-29-2015, 03:20 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Our basement flooded in the October rains. Ugh. Also found out today that a road we used to live on had a mudslide. Crazy weather.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:31 AM

215 posts, read 370,639 times
We were up north for Christmas, and although there was not a lot of rain, the temps were just as mild. I enjoyed it, ,but I am aware most people don't feel like it's Christmas if it's not cold. Our trip to NYC was accompanied by the warmest weather they'd ever had on record for Christmas. I was aware of the drenching we got in Franklin, but a lot of it had receded by the time we got back. But the river is still really high, and the creeks by our house are roaring. And now, it's thunder and lightning this morning.
I've lived here almost 3 years and I only recently heard about the Peek's Creek tragedy in Franklin over ten years ago. It's a horrible story, and makes me more aware of the dangers here. Hope everyone is staying safe and dry.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:36 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
Does anyone have montly total? Our digital is listing is 11.48" east of Weaverville at 3200ft. Amazing amount, wishing it was snow, my Wisconsin roots showing I guess. :-)

Old 12-31-2015, 03:52 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Does anyone have montly total? Our digital is listing is 11.48" east of Weaverville at 3200ft. Amazing amount, wishing it was snow, my Wisconsin roots showing I guess. :-)
Wlos just reported 9 inches for the month of December.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:56 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
That WLOS weather is usually based on the reading at the AVL airport, the driest spot in the state...
A neighbor of mine reported 12.4 inches in his high tech weather station apparatus, fwiw.

GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 12-31-2015 at 08:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina