Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 01:25 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,411,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Ah. I wonder why people don't complain about people from FL causing prices to go up like you get out west with people toward California transplants?
I'm sure there are areas in all those states in which the residents voice those complaints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 02:39 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,626,126 times
Quote:
Ah. I wonder why people don't complain about people from FL causing prices to go up like you get out west with people toward California transplants?

Because you got the Complaint Ball rolling in your post #4. Geesh

Old 10-20-2015, 03:22 PM

4,799 posts, read 10,661,808 times
Maybe any/all of us non-5th or 6th Gen western North Carolinians should have stayed on the same crummy block where we were born and grew up...

I wonder how the Native Americans felt when the first masted ships showed up off the coastline, and then the ensuing groups coming east over the land?

What does any or most of the anecdotal/whiny posts above have to do with the H'ville Housing Mkt?

Last edited by motordavid; 10-20-2015 at 04:13 PM..

Old 10-20-2015, 03:55 PM

Amen to that MD !

and,

" at this point, what difference does it make !!! "

Old 07-15-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCross View Post
Thanks, but as I said, I read up on it. According to numerous comments by home buyers and Realtors in other web forums, the actual usage varies by area and custom. In other words, in some places in NC the typical due diligence offer is $0.00, while in others it may be a significant amount of money. Since the Asheville/Hendersonville area never specifically came up in those other forums, I am trying to find out what is customary or typical in the Hendersonville area by asking here.
Worth repeating: What is 'customary' Frog is what your Realtor in the area tells you. In your case, Hendersonville. Not "according to numerous comments by home buyers and Realtors in other web forums". I gave you the best advice ... in Hendersonville it can be from $1.00 to X. The seller must agree to the amount.

I have never heard of $0.00. If you are searching for a home in Henderson County, ask your Realtor and believe him/her; and read the Due Diligence Disclosure statement on the Offer to Purchase Contract.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:39 AM

902 posts, read 815,080 times
Quote:
I don't get how transplants are solely to blame for the rising housing costs here. I understand part of it but locals cashing in on their properties (a lot of it inherited or passed down) for outrageous amounts point to them being part of the issue too.

Much easier to blame outsiders though and not the 6th gen local in Weaverville selling his land for $150k an acre now. I know the argument will end up as "They'll be someone from xxxxx to buy it though" which apparently releases the local from all responsiblity.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:02 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,488,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
I don't get how transplants are solely to blame for the rising housing costs here. I understand part of it but locals cashing in on their properties (a lot of it inherited or passed down) for outrageous amounts point to them being part of the issue too.

Much easier to blame outsiders though and not the 6th gen local in Weaverville selling his land for $150k an acre now. I know the argument will end up as "They'll be someone from xxxxx to buy it though" which apparently releases the local from all responsiblity.
Except you're forgetting the fact that the property taxes and cost of living are skyrocketing too due to the influx of outsiders. Those landowners might have to sell as they can't afford taxes/to own anymore.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:13 PM

902 posts, read 815,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Except you're forgetting the fact that the property taxes and cost of living are skyrocketing too due to the influx of outsiders. Those landowners might have to sell as they can't afford taxes/to own anymore.
... And said landowner is now set up nicely from selling their 10 acre free and clear handed down family farm for $500k while simultaneously increasing the tax assessment of their neighbors from their recent sale. Again easy to point fingers at transplants. Rising property taxes (and other costs) are due to many factors, not just from outsiders "buying up the place".

We have a personal example of this. Recently looked at buying a 15 acre plot in Fairview (land only) and the owner (a 3rd gen native) wanted nearly $300k for it. We loved the property but not the price. He wouldn't budge on his $20k per acre price then we saw that less than four months earlier he had the property listed for $90k ($6k per acre). Huh? Basically he got greedy due to recent sales (for much nicer plots), took it off the market and then jacked up the price and re-listed it. So be it as we told him to keep it, but he's as much a part of the problem here as the people that are moving here. But it's much easier to point fingers at transplants ...

Live in a desireable area then complain about rising costs and taxes. Live in the middle of nowhere and complain about jobs and conveniences. It's always a blame game, never fair and amazingly no one locally ever contributes to the problem.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 07-15-2017 at 09:25 PM..

Old 07-16-2017, 06:56 AM

Sounds like he gave you the 'FL Transplants' price.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:03 AM

526 posts, read 462,014 times
There is no doubt that the influx of folks from outside the area is pushing prices up. After all they sell their 1,200 sq ft. brownstone for $650,000.00 and move here and buy a nice house for $300,000.00 along with two new cars and still have money left. Oh and their property taxes are only $1,500.00 not $10,000.00.
Then again as just has been mentioned many of the locals are cashing in where many of the new developments are popping up. Selling the land given to them for millions and making more in one sale then their parents or grandparents ever made farming the property.
Am old timer back yrs ago explained that many of these locals either bought their land for pennies per acre or acquired it for free to farm after WWII. So it's all relevant. He said his grandparents just acquired the land for nothing in the 40's thru some government programs then every few yrs purchased more. I know for a fact many of the improvements still done today on these properties is thru government grants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina