Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 09:47 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,523,098 times

Advertisements

Many thanks. I have been using Realtor.com for over a year as my primary search tool. Will spend time looking at Maggie Valley and Waynesville. Always good to read recommendations from people who "live there". This is the kind of information I am now seeking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 09:58 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,560,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Many thanks. I have been using Realtor.com for over a year as my primary search tool. Will spend time looking at Maggie Valley and Waynesville. Always good to read recommendations from people who "live there". This is the kind of information I am now seeking.

Also: Black Mountain, parts of Swannanoa to the east of Avl. All of Henderson County, (Hendersonville, Edneyville, etc.) 25 mi. south of Asheville; Brevard, or Rosman, in Transylvania County SW of Asheville; Weaverville, Mars Hill, Marshall. Quaint small lovely towns that meet your criteria also would be a little south of Hendersonville: Saluda, Tryon. All these towns can be reviewed on the various posts here on C-D. (Maggie Valley & Franklin areas may be more of a drive than you're looking for.) The closer in miles to Asheville proper, the prices are higher and choices less. Best wishes.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:33 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,621,811 times
And...NJBoy3: are you bringing a job with you?
Employment opportunities here are not what SJ or many other parts of the NE offer.
(Our adult kids/fams live in Cherry Hill and I know NJ/NY very well.)

Lots of areas for you to consider, and unless you are commuting to 'Asheville' or A'ville area, most every little town has grocery, big box, a downtown, medical etc. If commuting to A'ville area, then yes distance may be a concern; if not, every town holding every regular poster here on this forum, might fit your stated needs/wants.
GL, md

Old 07-18-2016, 01:48 PM

730 posts, read 776,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Looking hard for a nice smaller ranch west of Asheville proper.

Why are there so many high dollar houses (over a million dollars) for sale in areas such as Cashiers, Highlands, Sapphire, etc. Pages after pages of them for sale on Realtor.com

Many thanks.
Extremely hot market for well heeled retirees from northern cities.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:57 PM

22 posts, read 31,740 times
I'm trying to find a 3 bedroom house in the lower 200,000's from Asheville to Hendersonville area. It's almost impossible to find a decent home. If anything decent pops up it sells with in 2 days. Plus all of the newer homes have HOA's. I refuse to buy a house with an HOA. Why isn't any builder buidling a subdivision without HOA's. They would make a killing here for houses in the 200's to 300's. Your lucky to get anything over 1100 sq feet in Asheville under $250,000. Hendersonville maybe 1500 square feet. I don't really like Hendersonville, feels older and more blue collar. I like the Arden area, feels more like an upcoming area but it's very difficult to find a home in my price range in Arden. I find it odd that I see million dollar houses next to shacks or trailers. There doesn't seem to be much separation between affluent areas and poor areas.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnur View Post
I'm trying to find a 3 bedroom house in the lower 200,000's from Asheville to Hendersonville area. There are several nicely situated 3 BR 2 BA homes w/garage(s) between Asheville and Hendersonville from $200K up. Are you here searching, or are you searching online? Do you have a home to sell before you buy, and where are you relocating from? or can you purchase shortly ?

It's almost impossible to find a decent home. If anything decent pops up it sells with in 2 days. Plus all of the newer homes have HOA's. I refuse to buy a house with an HOA. Yes, the market is hot here, and note: even though some homes are under contract, the MLS will say "ok to show" or "no show" depending on the contingencies of the 1st contract which sometimes falls thru. You may have to consider homes in HOA's, most developments here have HOA's. Reason: property outside of city limits, in the Count(ies) are usually zoned agricultural or other contingencies. There will be 'ordinances', but not what you may consider 'protective' zoning laws.

Why isn't any builder buidling a subdivision without HOA's. People moving here from other areas want HOAs to keep their subdivisions updated and cared for. 99% of subdivisions are located in the County, not within city limits. When looking at homes in an HOA, do your due diligence: get the HOA financials, the governing documents which include the PCA (Planned Community Act), Covenants, By-Laws, Rules & Regs. The phone # of all Assoc. presidents or management are disclosed on the NC Sellers' Disclosure Form which you must sign to indicate that you have read and understand them.

They would make a killing here for houses in the 200's to 300's. Where is "here"? Your lucky to get anything over 1100 sq feet in Asheville under $250,000. Hendersonville maybe 1500 square feet. I don't really like Hendersonville, feels older and more blue collar. Hendersonville / Henderson County is very popular, lovely areas which you may not have seen or know of. Hendersonville has several zip codes that encompass rural areas as well. You can definitely find a nice home in your price range if you are willing to accept that all HOA's are not created equal. Otherwise, you could end up living in a nice house with a trailer park down the road.

I like the Arden area, feels more like an upcoming area but it's very difficult to find a home in my price range in Arden. I find it odd that I see million dollar houses next to shacks or trailers. I've lived here 14 years, 8 of those as a Realtor in NC and 25 in the northeast. I have never seen shacks or trailers near 'million dollar' homes here. Some beautiful farms though.

There doesn't seem to be much separation between affluent areas and poor areas.
With regard to Arden, there are some tacky areas in Arden too, and yes, in the $200K price range, fixer uppers, older rundown homes. Difference between 'affluent areas' and 'poor areas' is a matter of growth and zoning, and HOA's. $250K to $300K in Henderson and parts of Buncombe County are considered average price ranges.

Tip: When searching online, you will get more information if you search by County first, then the town within that County. e.g. Henderson County then: Hendersonville -- or Buncombe County, then: Fairview etc. Note: parts of Fletcher (which is also very nice) are in Henderson County, and closer to Asheville parts of Fletcher are in Buncombe County. If you don't have an agent, and want to DM me, I can send you a website where you can even breakdown your search by 'subdivisions'. I do not refer people to agents, so don't even ask.

You won't have much luck however, if you can't accept the "HOA" thing. Best wishes.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnur View Post
I'm trying to find a 3 bedroom house in the lower 200,000's from Asheville to Hendersonville area. It's almost impossible to find a decent home. If anything decent pops up it sells with in 2 days. Plus all of the newer homes have HOA's. I refuse to buy a house with an HOA. Why isn't any builder buidling a subdivision without HOA's. They would make a killing here for houses in the 200's to 300's. Your lucky to get anything over 1100 sq feet in Asheville under $250,000. Hendersonville maybe 1500 square feet. I don't really like Hendersonville, feels older and more blue collar. I like the Arden area, feels more like an upcoming area but it's very difficult to find a home in my price range in Arden. I find it odd that I see million dollar houses next to shacks or trailers. There doesn't seem to be much separation between affluent areas and poor areas.

PS: This time last year you posted that your credit score at the time was 660; and that you tried to get a government USDA loan. Has your situation changed? If not, you wouldn't qualify to purchase a home in this area either. Sorry. My above advice stands in any event. https://www.city-data.com/forum/mortg...ification.html

Old 07-18-2016, 07:32 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,604,062 times
You might be better off looking around Johnson City TN. Good medical facilities there.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:10 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,523,098 times
Many thanks for additional suggestions of areas. And it is important to read why so many HOAs in western North Carolina. HOAs are also part of the development plans in much of Delaware. Just the way Delaware approaches development.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:13 AM

22 posts, read 31,740 times
@QuilterChick. My credit score is now 709 and my income is now above the USDA limit. I'm already prequalified for an FHA loan up to $250,000 and I have a realtor. I have been looking for a month. Other things that have changed since I posted. I never moved to Raleigh, I actually been living here, Arden, for over a year since I was offered a better job here. I use to live in Bismarck, ND. I'm currently renting an apartment. Actually the cost of living is cheaper here than it was in Bismarck. The apartment here is like a resort compared to the one I had in Bismarck for the same price (Bismarck is getting cheaper though since oil has plunged). Anyways I didn't mean to hijack this thread so if I need any help I will make my own thread. Just making my observations of this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina