Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:51 PM

36 posts, read 175,295 times

Advertisements

We are considering some job offers and one is in Williston, ND. On this forum I read about a number of single people moving to Williston but what is life like for a family with elementary age children? What are the neighborhoods like? Are their hike and bike trails, playgrounds, places to feed the ducks, community events for families? Is the local fitness center a fun place for families to hang out, swim, play sports? We live in a warm climate right now...what type of things do families do when they need to stay indoors in the winter time? Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 PM

103 posts, read 198,330 times
personally I think this would be the very last place to bring a family.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,820 times
I have an elementary aged child and live in Williston - I LOVE it. There are numerous family activities up here. The fair just ended, there is a street fair (though I'm not sure when that's scheduled as it had to be changed), there is also the Chokecherry Festival in August. Parks and Rec has a TON of programs for kids throughout the summer and it's not insanely expensive. Kids in the park is a two day a week program for an hour and a half. You drop off your kid and there's several older teens/young adults who do crafts with them and watch them play in the park and sometimes the splash pad as well. It's $30 per session, each session is a few weeks long. They also have numerous sports available, several churches offer summer camp programs, one of the local churches is doing a family movie each Tuesday afternoon. The library does a summer reading program each year and their librarian for the kids (Miss Andrea) is FANTASTIC! There is also the Rendezvous at the beginning of each summer which is over at Fort Union. Oilfield Wives of Williston has playdates almost every Friday, anyone is welcome (even if your spouse doesn't work in the oilfields). There are also numerous activities available during the winter.

The parks here have had major face lifts, most have new equipment and are quite nice. We don't get a lot of ducks in the water areas up here, but there are a ton of pheasants all over the place. There are some wildlife management areas nearby that offer on shore fishing spots. As for hiking and biking trails though, I haven't seen a ton of them. I believe Lewis and Clark National Park has a large walking path. Also, the Western Star Complex in Williston has a giant walking path that many parents allow their kids to ride their bikes on.

Later this year (or possibly early next year) Williston will have one of the largest rec centers in the country. It will have an indoor pool and lazy river and just a TON of stuff to do.There are also other sports in the area as well as several dance companies if your child is interested in that. There is Williston Taekwondo and Judo Academy which is not super expensive and offers classes 2-3 nights a week for elementary aged kids. Also, Williston MMA is offering some classes for kids as well during the school year.

The public schools up here are fantastic. Like any school district they face their own set of issues, BUT they try and keep class sizes small and my daughter is doing things that kids in my step moms 4th grade class couldn't do in Utah. (She just finished second grade.) There's a lot of new kids coming in as well so your kids won't feel awkward, most kids in the schools here weren't born here. There is no bus system though. Unless your child is disabled you will be driving your kids to school each morning and picking them up each afternoon. In my several years up here, the only time school has been cancelled is when we lost power for several days. They do not do snow days ever.

There is also the bowling alley which a lot of kids enjoy, it's also not insanely expensive. It's surprising because a lot of stuff in this town is expensive, however I've found many of the activities available for children are reasonably priced. I've lived in several states and maybe it's because most people come here for the same reasons, but Williston has been the most family friendly town I've lived in. There are some locals who are upset about what's going on, but most people appreciate it when you move your family up here. That signifies to them that you're making this place your home and you'll have a desire to take care of it.

The largest drawback though will be housing. It is possible for you to get into an apartment right now but if you want 3 bedrooms expect to pay around $3,000 a month. I believe Bice is offering a special right now if you want to get into a 3 bedroom you get your first month free, I think it's $2,700 a month. If you are going to buy, you won't get a whole lot for your money. FHA loans max out at $272,100 up here, including a down payment you can go up to about $280,000. That's going to get you something decent, but it's not going to get you something brand new or completely updated in most cases. (Occasionally it might, but it's rare.)

Be ready to drop some serious money as well on winter clothing. Your kids will need very warm coats, good gloves, boots, scarves, hats, etc. They still go outside for recess in the winter, if it's extremely cold they won't, but most days they do.

The biggest negative is the cost of living, housing is expensive and rough. Also, if you're not used to the cold it may be difficult for you to deal with. BUT if you guys make an effort to meet some other families up here I think you'll find that it's not a bad place to be.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:28 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Excellent family info Lisan23, thanks for posting that.

So many times, if you are not directly envolved, you don't even realize things like that are available. Great post!

Old 07-02-2013, 11:06 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,007,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Excellent family info Lisan23, thanks for posting that.

So many times, if you are not directly envolved, you don't even realize things like that are available. Great post!
Agree with that ElkHunter....you here almost everywhere you live here there is nothing to do....but often unless you have younger kids you dont realize what all goes on. There often too many activities and the hardest choices is to limit to which ones. I have found most communities are like that regardless of where you live.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:37 PM

Thank you so much, how helpful! This really helps me wrap my head around seriously considering such a big move.
We have one child in public school and two that we homeschool. Homeschooling is a respected lifestyle in this part of the country and people generally accept a parent's choice to offer the type of education that will work for each individual child at different stages of their life. There are hundreds of activities in town just for students that homeschool. Does anyone know about the perception of homeschooling in North Dakota?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 PM

One more question about housing. Am I understanding you correctly that it would be difficult to find a house to purchase because there are not enough houses available? It also sounds like they are quite expensive. Are there houses for rent...or just simply no houses, only apartments right now? It would be challenging to move from a large 4 bdr. to an apartment...hmmm...something to think about.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:33 PM

168 posts, read 335,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character View Post
Does anyone know about the perception of homeschooling in North Dakota?
Its perfectly fine if you homeschool your kids, I have never heard of anyone having a problem with people who homeschool their kids.

Back when I was in high school, granted this was around 10 years ago, we had some homeschool kids that would come and take high school chemistry, physics, and some math courses, no one ever had a problem with any of the kids that did that. When I was in middle school there were two kids down the street that were homeschooled and I played with them after school and on the weekends as did all the other kids in the neighborhood, until they moved away when I was in the 5th grade.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Character View Post
Thank you so much, how helpful! This really helps me wrap my head around seriously considering such a big move.
We have one child in public school and two that we homeschool. Homeschooling is a respected lifestyle in this part of the country and people generally accept a parent's choice to offer the type of education that will work for each individual child at different stages of their life. There are hundreds of activities in town just for students that homeschool. Does anyone know about the perception of homeschooling in North Dakota?
I live in the Red River valley (ND-MN region)....and I am a parent and at my work place I know a family that homeschools. To me around here my perception is it is mostly done due to religious reasons....versus keeping kids out of public schools because they are bad, etc. I do recall answering a post on homeschooling in ND before, and as I dont know much about it, someone chimed in and said that North Dakota has tighter restrictions in regards to homeschooling than most other states.

I found the old thread from 2008...

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...ooling-nd.html

Here is some other info...
North Dakota Loosens Homeschooling Law | Heartlander Magazine

Here might be some more updated info....
https://www.homeschool-life.com/sysf...customid=11887

Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 PM

Here is a facebook page that may give much more recent info or at least a place to chat to find out more info...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...71809969498803
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston