Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 11:46 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
Is there something wrong with that terminology? Everyone I know says that.
One day a handful of fussy linguists who forgot English is a Germanic language decreed that it should follow a Latin rule of grammar by eschewing the use of prepositions at the end of sentences. Midwesterners in particular have been telling them to shove it ever since. The end.

"This is the kind of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put." -- Attributed (dubiously) to Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 11:59 AM

34 posts, read 78,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
one day a handful of fussy linguists who forgot english is a germanic language decreed that it should follow a latin rule of grammar by eschewing the use of prepositions at the end of sentences. Midwesterners in particular have been telling them to shove it ever since. The end.
Lol, nice. : )

Old 03-24-2011, 01:30 AM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times
What an interesting thread! GO Wisconsin!

Where to start? HA I lived in Wisconsin for 17 years. I was past my formative years (LoL) but acquired a Wisconsin accent anyway (Yah!). I believe this was due to my traveling the state and pronouncing the city names, in part! Really, they do lend themselves to the accent. Plus, my northern Missouri accent was more like MN than the southern MO. On top of THAT, I traveled for five and half years to 25+ states as a traveling portrait photographer.

Though I don't know what words, phrases or sounds I say- except maybe my pronunciation of WisCONsin- I only know that people say I do have a northern accent here in Tennessee, where I moved to go to Grad school. I love it when they tell me that!

Wisconsin is the best. I love the rolling hills, the lakes and rivers too. It is just the prettiest place on earth.

Can I come back, please?

Now, I dearly want to return! School wasn't good and I have no idea what I am going to do in life, let alone how I am getting back to WI.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:07 AM

I thought of some unique to WI things...

Tom's Drive in Appleton. Their fried cheese curds are delish! They had this small restaurant (@1993) on the east side of Appleton that was just down the street from me. I loved that location, the atmosphere AND fact it was within walking distance. They closed that location around 98 or so. I missed being so close but they now have four or five large restaurants in the Fox Valley.

Another Appleton restaurant: J D's Drive In. Very good family place. Good prices too. AND the ice cream cones. Yummmy too!

Wisconsin Breakfast on the Farm. There are no other states that do this every June. I went one time alone but ended up chatting with a family in line and sitting with them. They have a varied menu, depending on which farm... from cheesey eggs, sausage, sometimes bacon, WI milk (of course) and many times ice cream! OR Culver's Custard. Yummmm The one in Madison is more of a brunch and serves pizza instead of eggs... not my idea of delish, but that is okay! You can Google WI Breakfast on the Farm schedule and find out which farms and which weekend they are hosting it.

Wisconsin or Milwaukee Ave
They don't have one here in my TN town! LoL They have Georgia, Alabama, even an Orleans (not New, guess old!). Okay I get it, WI isn't southern but they do have a Colorado street!

Silly trivia. I moved from Appleton to go to school in UW in Whitewater. I traveled over the Appleton bridge on the east side everyday before I moved. Some reason I loved that curvy bridge. After I moved I found out they were replacing that bridge and they expected it to take more than two years. Wow I thought, I was glad I didn't have to travel it then. I thought how can they expect everyone to go all the way east via the beltline (turns out they had a short cut by way of another, lower level bridge but still).

I was working here in my Grad position, googling some information for my job in Oct 09 and I came across the opening ceremony for this bridge. Made my freaking day! How weird is that??

I am a true Wisconsinite!

Old 03-24-2011, 03:39 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Wisconsin is the best. I love the rolling hills, the lakes and rivers too. It is just the prettiest place on earth.

Can I come back, please?

You'll get here, just keep dreaming toward it. Happened for me.
The bluffs are amazing. They're more common further south in the state, but you see them evidenced in the Hudson and St. Croix Falls areas too. Even down by Glenwood City (maybe?? it was dark, I was on my way to a concert in The Cities...)... but I saw one. Down around that area. That'll tell you you're getting a little further south in the state. Gorgeous. I'll take them over mountains any day.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:26 PM

7 posts, read 10,057 times
Summerfest

Old 03-24-2011, 05:01 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
I forgot to add this to my list....

SHOPKO!!!! I have never seen a Shopko anywhere but in Wisconsin. When I was a kid we used to go to Shopko for everything.

There is one in Marquette, Michigan.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:22 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Didn't there used to be Boy Blue custard stands in Milwaukee?

Old 03-24-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
They are headquartered in Ashwaubenon, WI but are now in 13 states.

Did you know they are now online? When I first moved to TN I ordered from them so I wouldn't have to shop here! I love Shopko. LoL

Old 03-24-2011, 06:53 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
I'm sure new glarus has been mentioned a dozen times here. I mention it because it's the first "A" rated beer as rated by beeradvocate that I've ever tasted. The apple ale flavor is just out of this world, as is the raspberry. The cherry is damn good too! Of course the spotted cow is the most popular. The Moon man.. well I appreciate it's attributes the taste just isn't my style. I'll still drink the other 5 down though. If I don't like something that has good attributes I'll force it down until I acquire a taste. I meant to pick up a variety pack but when I got back to South Dakota a week ago I saw it was spotted cow... oops oh well! Was hoping to get some of the wheat ones but they don't brew them until the spring. Only found the apple ale in one place.. a little grocer in the dells around that area where the downtown shopping area is.. should have picked up 3 of them.

Also if culvers went public I'd buy plenty of stock though it's probably better if they don't.. private companies tend to provide superior quality rather then always focusing on the 'bottom line'.. it's great they have one here in the town I live (built in 2010) .. no chain comes close for burgers besides sit down places like Fuddruckers. Had a great burger in the Dells at a place called the 'high rock' or something like that. Nice second floor view/atmosphere and unusually good burger.. the bun makes all the difference. A quick google shows it the highest rated place in the Dells. Looks like we made a good call.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...Wisconsin.html

Not really all that many highly rated sit down places in the Dells. Too seasonal probably. House of embers was good, though the portion sizes of the carrots and potatoes were small and sodas a bit pricy and no refills. Great food though. Lots of good breakfast places strangely enough. Paul Bunyans opened the day I left and I went there right at 7AM and was their second customer this year. Checked back later and it was packed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post

There's also Shopkos in Sioux Falls, SD and Watertown, SD. Marshall, MN too I believe.. they are in SD and MN in pretty much every larger town. I've noticed Shopko will have superior quality for the same price as wally world. Perhaps that big giant does need competition to stay competitive.

Last edited by sholomar; 03-24-2011 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin