Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 02:12 PM

2,901 posts, read 993,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
dcisive, you know what? I always pull over when I see a car on the side of the road with Illinois plates, to offer them help.

I never use the term FIBS.... Illini are my brothers and sisters. I happily welcome them in Wisconsin.

P.S. I drove down and had dinner at Del Rio, in Highwood. I spent over 4 hours there, chatting with the Illinois staff, and clients.

I agree with you, Master Jay. I have no problem, whatsoever, with Illinoisans. I have lots of friends who live there and they're awesome people. I used to spend a lot of time in Highwood, Highland Park, and Fort Sheridan... all nice areas. Nice people, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 02:23 PM

4,648 posts, read 3,260,261 times
snerk, you're a good person!

I NEVER say FIBS. They're my homies!

In fact, Friday I was in Libertyville. Yesterday I was in Highwood. Today I'm in Chicago.

Old 09-25-2022, 05:44 PM

2,140 posts, read 1,209,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
It all depends on what you are used to and if or where you have traveled much
Some folks are happy almost anywhere and others are very choosy and feel meh.
I am not a snob, far from it, but towns don't cater to my special interests.

You know, I never heard a Chicagoan say anything bad about Wisconsin. Compared to northern Illinois, it looks great to them for a getaway vacation (And Michigan). They rave about Door County. Never been there...but then I find the prairie everywhere boring.
Alrighty then .... “Water, water, everywhere, And all the boards did shrink; Water, water, everywhere, Not a prairie I think .” Something over 250 miles of great lakes shoreline ... the most of any county in the country and then bluffs: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=door+count...ages&ia=images

Old 09-26-2022, 03:22 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Guess not everybody can be sophistomacatid like you - eh buddy? What a pompous posting.
Let me explain it then in a way that requires no interpretive skills on the part of the reader and won't fail in an attempt at humor.--

Lake Geneva (or The Dells) has an economy based on tourism, yet has little to offer in the way of unique attractions- no Uffizi Art Gallery, no mile deep canyon, no world famous restaurants or shopping not readily available elsewhere, no Mustard Museum or Cheese-rolling Races.... At least The Dells has its water parks for the kids & the Tommy Bartlett Show....In other words, there's nothing to recommend L.Geneva over any other lake town in WI unless you like an abundance of touristy junk shops, mundane restaurants and crowds.

If you're into Nature- camping, hiking, fishing, even just relaxing in the shade, etc, the crowds, one would think, would detract from its attractiveness. There many other spots in WI preferable to LG for that.

IIRC, L.Geneva developed its tourist trade when it became a destination spot for the Sunday picnic crowd encouraged by the rail roads in the late 19th century-- a very common practice around NYC, Boston, Chicago etc.-- one day excursions to get away from urban blight back in the days of coal fired smog and the six day work week.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:27 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
Yup Guido that is a accurate assessement indeed.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:38 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
In other words, there's nothing to recommend L.Geneva over any other lake town in WI unless you like an abundance of touristy junk shops, mundane restaurants and crowds.

If you're into Nature- camping, hiking, fishing, even just relaxing in the shade, etc, the crowds, one would think, would detract from its attractiveness. There many other spots in WI preferable to LG for that.
Sums it up. If you're heading up from Illinois, it's a nice touristy lake that's that's not too far. A relative had a house there when I was a kid and the big deal was riding around on a pontoon boat and hanging out by the lake. If you want to do something like that, it's fine.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:01 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Isn't Lake Geneva full of people from Chicago?

Old 10-04-2022, 10:28 AM

glass_of_merlot, good morning!

I think you are right! That's why I don't go to Lake Geneva. I don't really care for Chicagoans!

Old 10-06-2022, 06:54 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
glass_of_merlot, good morning!

I think you are right! That's why I don't go to Lake Geneva. I don't really care for Chicagoans!

I thought you like Chicagoans and Chicago.

Old 10-06-2022, 07:01 AM

glass_of_merlot, good morning to you.

THAT was my weak attempt at sarcasm!

I know that YOU know me better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin