Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:11 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times

Advertisements

I am lifelong WI resident who at 47 moved to IL for new job.

To me it seems that the main reason WI taxes are so high is that it is a state of non transient people, Most WI people are from WI. They just have no idea how much they are being raped by Madison/local school systems as they have nothing to compare to.

I think if we are entering a decade of slow/no economic growth, WI could be in some trouble. Companies are going to look very hard to locate in cost effective locals and WI taxes as well as DNR gestapo will not make the state very attractive.

Scenic country/lake views don't pay the bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 07:18 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Why do all these business keep relocating to other places in the US? I can tell you it's not the weather!
There is a reason why Texas has been the number state for biz for the last 20 some odd yrs.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:41 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Why do Illinois companies cross the border to Wisconsin, I wonder? Is Wisconsin giving them the bank to lure them from Illinois???

Old 04-28-2009, 07:45 AM

68 posts, read 213,711 times
You want to talk about high property taxes. I moved to Wisconsin about two years ago from Maryland, there I had a 3 bedroom townhouse with a postage stamp size yard in Baltimore County and I pay about the same property taxes as I do for my 4 bedroom Victorian that sits on an acre of land in Lincoln County. Not to mention that my home owners insurance is less and there is less crime, less pollution, less traffic and way fewer people. Oh I also bought my house here for about $100,000 less then what I sold my townhouse for there. Wisconsin might have long cold winters but to me it beats the hot humid summers of Maryland any day. It's been in the 90's there and humid for the past 3 days now, it's only April

Old 04-28-2009, 08:08 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Why do Illinois companies cross the border to Wisconsin, I wonder? Is Wisconsin giving them the bank to lure them from Illinois???
Have you seen the taxes in IL ?

The city of Chicago has the highest total sales tax of all major U.S. cities.It is also one of the most complex. 10.25% is levied on all non-perishable goods purchased, while 2% is levied on qualifying food, drugs, medicines and medical appliances.The Illinois Department of Revenue collects a 3% Chicago Soft Drink Tax and a 1% Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority (MPEA) "Food and Beverage Tax", on prepared food and beverage purchases in the downtown area (These "downtown" boundaries are: Surf Street on the north, Ashland Avenue on the west, Stevenson Expressway (I-55) on the south, & Lake Michigan on the east. Furthermore, O'Hare and Midway airports also fall under the 1% MPEA tax district). In addition, the Chicago Department of Revenue collects additional sales taxes on items such as fountain drinks, bottled water, liquor, and cigarettes.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:14 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Let's face it, not every state is right for every person.....isn't it lucky we have 50 from which to choose? But, for me, it will always be Wisconsin. I was born and raised in Wisconsin (my family has been here since before it was even a state.) But, in my younger years, I thought maybe the grass would be greener elsewhere and I lived in several different states. In the end I came home. Taxes may be higher but the schools are so much better here than some of the other places I lived. The roads are better than almost everywhere else I lived. People are "real" here...they aren't (for the most part) worried about keeping up with the latest trends or pretending to be what they are not. I actually love the different seasons. Hey, you can catch up with a lot of reading and family game nights in January and February. So, while it may not be everyone's cup of tea, I'll stay in Wisconsin.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:59 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Susan,
What businesses are you referring to?

Old 04-28-2009, 04:53 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
VW moved its midwest parts warehouse from Lincolnshire to Pleasant Prairie. Of course, Lincolnshire courted us heavy duty when we were outgrowing the Deerfield facility for their new corporate area. Once we got there nothing but grief about the trucks, etc., so they moved to Wisc. a few years ago.

Of course, the big rumor at Abbott's (after Hospira spun off and went north) was that Abbott's is moving to Wisconsin, too. I worked there as a contractor from 2003-2007 and everyone always talked about North Chicago closing. I heard and read that Abbott purchased 400+ acres.

I think U-Line, which was headquartered in Waukegan is moving or has moved, I also heard Rustoleum was going to leave Vernon Hills for Wisconsin and, of course, Jelly Belly left North Chicago awhile ago for a new plant Pleasant Prairie (which has great tours by the way)!

Last edited by susancruzs; 04-28-2009 at 05:15 PM..

Old 04-28-2009, 06:34 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,139,491 times
To be honest, I don't know why anyone would want to live in FL. WI is good except for the winter weather. FL isn't good, except for being humid..... if you like humidity.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:47 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
Susan, I read a while ago in the State Journal about IL companies moving to Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin