Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,775 times
I moved away right in the middle of college to help my dad with his insurance business and wish we never would have left. I live on the east coast and hate it for many reasons, the most important being that I don't feel it is a great place to raise kids. My wife and I are constantly watching our backs, none of the neighbors really care about each other or acknowledge each other and we've had our kids in private school out of necessity. I have been trying to network and find a job in Wisconsin, but have not had any success. I miss the people, the weather, the scenery, the traditions, the culture, the food, ....I could go on and on. I realize that Wisconsin is not for everybody, but if anyone is planning on leaving, could you give me a heads up? I'd love to grab your job and move back. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 12:29 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

When I lived in Michigan, and visited my sister in Wisconsin, she'd make me go out and help shovel her snow, first thing in the morning, when there was an inch or two overnight, right down to the pavement, and right to the edge of the grass, I remarked that the difference between Wi and MI is that in WI everybody shovels their show, while in MI, everyone just drives through it. She acted like I was talking about Bangladesh. I looked up and down the street, and everyone was doing the same thing, as if they are afraid of some secret police or something. Or officious neighbors, which is worse. Then she said you have to carry each shovelful onto your lawn, because you're not allowed to push the snow into the street, even though it's fine for the showplows to shove it all into your driveway. I'd like to hear the supreme court rule on that law, but people in WI just take it.
You've got a real Dwight Schrute vibe going on.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:48 PM

54 posts, read 174,396 times
Thank you all for your posts....even though some of you were way off the subject)) still it was quite interesting info...

backtowi....you can have our house and our jobs if you want

Even though I can appreciate the positives that WI has to offer, I am so over WI... Yes, we have a great home and comfortable living, it's just too boring here and the winters are a nightmare! I was in a bad car accident in the winter time 5 years ago and I just hate driving here in the winter ever since. Plus, being stuck indoors for months and months on end...not fun.

People, though nice for the most part, lack a sense of curiosity about other states, countries...as long as the Packers are winning and the beer is flowing, people are happy here....not my cup of tea though.

Thanks again for your great posts! Keep them coming!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:28 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,077,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetohope View Post
Thank you all for your posts....even though some of you were way off the subject)) still it was quite interesting info...

backtowi....you can have our house and our jobs if you want

Even though I can appreciate the positives that WI has to offer, I am so over WI... Yes, we have a great home and comfortable living, it's just too boring here and the winters are a nightmare! I was in a bad car accident in the winter time 5 years ago and I just hate driving here in the winter ever since. Plus, being stuck indoors for months and months on end...not fun.

People, though nice for the most part, lack a sense of curiosity about other states, countries...as long as the Packers are winning and the beer is flowing, people are happy here....not my cup of tea though.

Thanks again for your great posts! Keep them coming!
I'm so sick of hearing that "Wisconsin is too boring" from people who live in Bumf*ck, Egypt. Of course it's boring, you live in Bumf*ck, Egypt! I never hear people from Milwaukee or Madison b*tch about how boring it is here, why do you suppose that is?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:32 PM

84 posts, read 313,804 times
[quote=quickdraw;9772574]

I've travelled through the US extensively, small town America is not pretty. QUOTE]

quickdraw is spot on with his observations. We have spent the past 2 years traversing the country looking for the "perfect" place to live. I hate, hate, hate the winters here - so we went south, but not too far south - lived in NC for 6 months in Charlotte and toured most of NC, and spent lots of time visiting and researching TX (Hill Country and Austin), TN (Franklin/Nashville area), AZ (Tuscon). On paper most of these (Tuscon the exception) looked like exactly the type of atmosphere we were looking for - mild climate, small main street town close to a mid-sized city, outdoor opportunites, et. We wanted Cedarburg in a warmer climate.

We have become so disillusioned with the decline of small town USA. America is becoming one big strip mall with a Wal-Mart Super Center and I hate that even more than I do the weather in Wisconsin!

Most of the small towns Drover mentioned are supported by the immediate community. Sure there is tourism, but the towns people all utilize and support the local merchants. And the homes surrounding the town centers are for the most part well cared for and you see kids on the sidewalks playing or riding their bikes or selling lemonade. There is a real sense of community. These towns in Wisconsin are the destination - not the pass through town that has happened in so many areas of the country.

So freetohope - I hate to say it because I REALLY wanted to leave - but we are staying. We sold our home in preparation for our move out of state - so we'll buy a cheaper home, invest the extra cash and takes LOTS of vacations in the winter to combat the weather!

Old 08-20-2009, 11:59 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
When I went to Marquette in late 70's and early 80's, Milwaukee was remarkably clean and safe.
Milwaukee is much safer now than it was in the late 70s and early 80s. The 70s and 80s were actually the worst years for Milwaukee, and improvements started in the 90s.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I'm so sick of hearing that "Wisconsin is too boring" from people who live in Bumf*ck, Egypt. Of course it's boring, you live in Bumf*ck, Egypt! I never hear people from Milwaukee or Madison b*tch about how boring it is here, why do you suppose that is?
Well, you may have a point...except that I don't live in BFE....I am in the Green Bay/Appleton area and we are always going to restaurants and plays regardless of the drive. We often get in the car and drive to MKE to the Bayshore Mall or the beach etc and we go to Mad-town often (a 2-hour drive)....Either way....that might be enough excitement for some....I guess I want more!
There is no need to get angry over this....everybody is different in what they are looking for in life and there is nothing wrong with people searching for that something that makes them happy. That's what this forum is here to help with!

Thank you for posting though!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetohope View Post
Well, you may have a point...except that I don't live in BFE....I am in the Green Bay/Appleton area . . .
Well that's part of your problem right there. Appleton is nice but it's small and of limited scope, while Green Bay is basically Bumf#*k in quasi-urban form.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well that's part of your problem right there. Appleton is nice but it's small and of limited scope, while Green Bay is basically Bumf#*k in quasi-urban form.
Well if that's the case (which I don't disagree), based on the previous poster, unless you live in Mke or Madison, the rest of Wisconsin is BFE...is that the conclusion then? So, my comment about me finding WI boring is not that far off...(with the exception of MKE and Madtown..ok, then) So the rest of WI is SOL....

Going back to what I said earlier, even MKE or Madison are not a whole lot better TO ME( I'm not saying there are not great in general....just to me it would not be a place I would want to live).

I spent a lot of time in MKE (I have friends there), so I know the scene and while it is more cosmopolitan and more things to do, I feel like I want more...again it is a matter of preference. I am not here to argue whether WI is good or bad, because a lot of people love it here and that's great! It's just not right for me, that's all. There are plenty of things I like here such as the beautiful scenery, no traffic problems really ( except for rush hour by MKE, but even that is nothing compared to other cities), COL is good with the exception of insanely high taxes....etc..etc...the list goes on. However...still something is missing and I will keep looking until I find it. We are currently looking at the DC area...

Old 08-21-2009, 12:45 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,878,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtowi View Post
I moved away right in the middle of college to help my dad with his insurance business and wish we never would have left. I live on the east coast and hate it for many reasons, the most important being that I don't feel it is a great place to raise kids. My wife and I are constantly watching our backs, none of the neighbors really care about each other or acknowledge each other and we've had our kids in private school out of necessity. I have been trying to network and find a job in Wisconsin, but have not had any success. I miss the people, the weather, the scenery, the traditions, the culture, the food, ....I could go on and on. I realize that Wisconsin is not for everybody, but if anyone is planning on leaving, could you give me a heads up? I'd love to grab your job and move back. Thanks!!!

Got a house and a job you can have any day now... stay tuned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin