Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2009, 10:53 PM

84 posts, read 226,214 times

Advertisements

I think something GraniteStater may have been trying to say is what I am trying to say (sorry if it's not what you are sayin Granite) but I think the older population in Omaha was very VERY white compared to the younger people out here...to be honest I think I have seen numbers from 2007 showing it was around 70% non-hispanic whites but maybe you have more updated information...but anyways...I think the younger generations out here have seen a huge increase in diversity...whether it be from Creighton bringing in people from all around the country and world come here for school or what not but I guess in my personal experiences being out and about around the city there is a greater influx of different ethnicities...I know there is a VERY large portion of almost completely white suburbs around the city or the "greater metro" as its called out here...but I'd bet that a big portion of this diversity is based more in the downtown area...

but I am not going to argue about the diversity anymore...maybe people would rather move to a city with less diversity...in that case OMAHA IS YOUR PLACE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 11:04 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,402 times
I did not move but my mom moved from Kenosha to San Mateo California in 1971 or so. She hated it and wished she could have stayed in Wisconsin.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:34 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAB1452 View Post
I think something GraniteStater may have been trying to say is what I am trying to say (sorry if it's not what you are sayin Granite) but I think the older population in Omaha was very VERY white compared to the younger people out here...to be honest I think I have seen numbers from 2007 showing it was around 70% non-hispanic whites but maybe you have more updated information...but anyways...I think the younger generations out here have seen a huge increase in diversity...whether it be from Creighton bringing in people from all around the country and world come here for school or what not but I guess in my personal experiences being out and about around the city there is a greater influx of different ethnicities...I know there is a VERY large portion of almost completely white suburbs around the city or the "greater metro" as its called out here...but I'd bet that a big portion of this diversity is based more in the downtown area...

but I am not going to argue about the diversity anymore...maybe people would rather move to a city with less diversity...in that case OMAHA IS YOUR PLACE

I think those points are all true. Also, Omaha has a more diversified and well-rounded economy that attracts people from many places. Quite often strong economic growth leads to more diversity.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:33 PM

279 posts, read 760,220 times
Moved to the twin cities and it's basically a larger version of Madison. Only thing bad about it is the suburban right wing crazies who elect people like Michele Bachmann.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:39 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellstone View Post
Moved to the twin cities and it's basically a larger version of Madison. Only thing bad about it is the suburban right wing crazies who elect people like Michele Bachmann.

I didn't know the suburban areas of MPLS were that conservative? However, the TV excerpts that I have seen of Bachmann have been more than a little disturbing to say the least.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:36 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellstone View Post
WOW! one intelligent comment after another...after another.

Quote:
If the whole concept of "teabagging" and far right whack jobs isn't your thing, I wouldn't consider Appleton.
Quote:
There are a lot of kooks up there.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:57 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,488,578 times
Moved to Northern AZ. There is no comparison.
Both have their + and -'s.

WI is literally true... "grass is greener"
AZ...Its a "dry heat"

Would I move back...yes and no.
Yes, miss the scenery, people, water, education for the kids.
No, don't miss the high property tax and shoveling snow.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:50 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Moved to Northern AZ. There is no comparison.
Both have their + and -'s.

WI is literally true... "grass is greener"
AZ...Its a "dry heat"

Would I move back...yes and no.
Yes, miss the scenery, people, water, education for the kids.
No, don't miss the high property tax and shoveling snow.

Well said!

Old 09-21-2009, 06:45 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,856,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I didn't know the suburban areas of MPLS were that conservative? However, the TV excerpts that I have seen of Bachmann have been more than a little disturbing to say the least.
Your comment shows the power of the media. I suspect the tv excerpts you have seen are created to make ths guy look "disturbed"

Both right and left based media do this all the time. Yet for some reason, when people see something on tv the assumption is it is a "real" indicator. Most of us are being played and don't even know it.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:21 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I think you're really talking about the NorthEast, people in the midwest do NOT make it clear where you stand. They are passive-aggresive to the n'th degree.

search "minnesota nice" on this forum for instance.

I find that to be true-most "straightpeople" I've been around are in Upstate NY which would be best place to live IF property taxes werent a form of extortion there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin