Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 12:58 PM

54 posts, read 174,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You asked a question. I gave you an answer. Cope.

You started a provocative thread. I'm just trying to help you understand why you got provocative responses. If you still don't get it, I don't know how to help you. But I suspect you got exactly the reactions you were looking for, so I'm not exactly buying your "I'm so put out" routine.

There is nothing provocative about trying to get advice on where people in WI moved to and why. I am actually looking for insight so I can decide on where to move. Why is it hard to belive and understand that some people might not like or appreciate the things you like? Are you that arrogant to think that your views on things are right and everyone else is wrong? Plus, your location indicates Chicago...so you moved also! If you like it here so much, then why did you move?

The only procateur on here is you and I would like nothing more but to end this direction of the thread, but you just won't let it go. I used to love getting on the forum to see if anyone has posted a new and interesting place they moved to and find out about their experiences and all I find is your angry and hateful posts. I wish you would just go away! Don't like my thread, then please stop reading it and stop posting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 02:22 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This is nonsense. Some of the cattiest people I've met were southerners. It only seems like they don't hold grudges because they're polite to each other's faces even if they hate each other, in the name of "southern manners." But the minute you're not face to face, they'll put a knife in your back if they don't like you.
you could say the same thing about passive-aggresive Midwesterners. People love putting knives in your back in WI. TO deny that is crazy.
While northern "manners" where people aren't automatically nice to each other seems alien to southerners, I'd rather people make it clear where they stand with each other (and it's possible to do so without being rude or abrasive about it) than to pretend to get along just for appearances.
I think you're really talking about the NorthEast, people in the midwest do NOT make it clear where you stand. They are passive-aggresive to the n'th degree.

search "minnesota nice" on this forum for instance.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetohope View Post
There is nothing provocative about trying to get advice on where people in WI moved to and why. I am actually looking for insight so I can decide on where to move. Why is it hard to belive and understand that some people might not like or appreciate the things you like? Are you that arrogant to think that your views on things are right and everyone else is wrong? Plus, your location indicates Chicago...so you moved also! If you like it here so much, then why did you move?

The only procateur on here is you and I would like nothing more but to end this direction of the thread, but you just won't let it go. I used to love getting on the forum to see if anyone has posted a new and interesting place they moved to and find out about their experiences and all I find is your angry and hateful posts. I wish you would just go away! Don't like my thread, then please stop reading it and stop posting!
If you want to change the direction of the conversation, why do you keep asking me questions? Either you want to end it, or you want to continue it. Take your pick. As long as you keep engaging me, I'll assume you keep wanting to hear from me.

I don't presume to be right. Subjective judgments are just that -- subjective. Like I said upthread, if Wisconsin ain't your thing, so be it -- pack up and head for greener pastures, and I won't begrudge anyone's decision to leave. But there are legitimate reasons for wanting to leave Wisconsin and then there's stupid and provocative reasons. "The whole state is boring" is the latter type. If you can't find anything interesting to do in the most tourist-oriented state in the Midwest and its incredible breadth of recreational opportunities, the problem is not the state, the problem is you.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:31 AM

45 posts, read 177,581 times
I just popped in to take a look at the responses to FREETOHOPE's original question...boy, people did get way off track!
So, back on track here. My sister and I were both born and raised in a suburb close to Chicago, IL. I moved to WI in my early 30's and she ended up in MN recently. We are both in our early 50's now but still as active as 30 year olds! I absolutely ADORE Wisconsin and always will. I want to throw in a note that we vacationed here (west central, WI area) almost every single year since we were young children. Our folks moved up here with my 3 brothers when sis and I were in our 20's.
For all of you contributing to a pissing contest, please remember this. Different ages, lifestyles, physical abilities, personalities, income, etc., all factor into how happy or not you will be in any given area you choose to live. It is just a matter of time and sometimes a lot of traveling to different states/areas to be able to finally land in your "paradise", just like I did.

The reason I mentioned this info is because last winter my sister and I debated moving out of this cold environment which, as we get older, are dreading more and more every day. We did some VERY extensive research into Hawaii. Oahu is the island we focused on since is has a very steady 80 degree daily temperature year-round, has employment opportunities, and housing prices are starting to become a little more realistic. Personally, I don't like the "suburban" lifestyle and prefer having some acreage with breathing room and privacy. So in addition to a list of other reasons, I crossed off Hawaii as a place to consider moving.

When I saw your post (FREETOHOPE), I thought...GREAT...this might give me some insight to some other places to consider moving even though I personally don't want 4 season weather myself. Some people were very insightful while others, as you pointed out, are just bickering about Wisconsin.
So please people, start another thread if you want to discuss your love/hate relationship with Wisconsin. There are other people here, like myself, who would really like to stick to the topic and read about info that pertains to the the original post.
Thanks!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:44 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,876 times
Annyz, check out middle Tennessee...3 seasons with just the smallest hint of what anyone who has lived up north would call Winter. We live in Franklin, TN...just south of Nashville and it's really nice!

Old 09-08-2009, 09:28 PM

45 posts, read 177,581 times
Tunky...thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely check it out. A few months ago I did some research on Bowling Green, KY. as a potential area to relocate. I like the location since the larger cities are within a reasonable driving distance and BGKY is a fairly sizable city. AND I really liked the fact that is is close to Nashville. I have always wanted to visit there.
I LOVE being outdoors and that is probably the ONLY reason we are looking to move in the future. As much as I love WI, the cold weather is just beating me down year after year. Give me 85 degree weather every day and I would be in hog heaven!
Say, what IS the weather like in your area?

Old 09-08-2009, 11:00 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,876 times
Summer is in the 80's with some high 90's. There is humidity but not like the deep south. (My hair doesn't take on a life of its own in Nashville, as it does in Memphis or Florida). Fall is absolutely gorgeous and long. Winter is kind of grey...we did have some days that got down to the 20's...but not many. The cold though is wet so 20 in Nashville feels colder than 20's in WI. We had two snowy days but the snow melted by noon. But winter doesn't last long compared to what you're used to. Spring comes early.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:35 PM

361 posts, read 1,946,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I'm so sick of hearing that "Wisconsin is too boring" from people who live in Bumf*ck, Egypt. Of course it's boring, you live in Bumf*ck, Egypt! I never hear people from Milwaukee or Madison b*tch about how boring it is here, why do you suppose that is?
I lived in Madison and I complained all the time about how boring it was.

Last edited by katreese; 09-09-2009 at 12:12 AM..

Old 09-08-2009, 11:53 PM

361 posts, read 1,946,945 times
I was born in PA, moved around the world, then lived in and around Chicago for 10 years and then Madison, WI from age 25-38. I tried very hard to bloom where I was planted, but I just never became a midwesterner. Illinois was an unpleasant experience. Wisconsin is lovely, but the culture is centered around sports - indoor and outdoor - camping/fishing/hunting/boating, and beer, and I am not interested in any of those things. Madison has a lot to offer for a town of its size, but culturally, once I saw what there was to see, that was it for me. As other posters have mentioned, I felt that (most) midwesterners are superficially friendly, and not used to/not interested in dealing with people from other cultures/backgrounds/with other interests. I have very eclectic interests, but I don't drink a lot or have a family, and I am not interested in the outdoors or sports (although I tried...), so I frequently had nothing in common with most of the people I met (and I was as social as humanly possible!).

I was finally able to move back to the east coast and, because I am in grad school here, I live in Newark, DE. Newark is so small and ugly that Madison seems like heaven on earth in comparison, and I don't plan to settle here; however, I am still happier on the east coast. There are gazillions of cultural opportunities within an hour's drive of my house, not to mention two hours. The population is more diverse, which seems more normal to me. I am more "at home" with the culture of PA being so close, because I consider it my own culture. People in Delaware are very friendly - from what I've heard, more so than in NJ or Philly - but I prefer the northeasterner's directness to, say, southern politeness.

The weather is horribly humid here and that was quite an adjustment. I never minded the winters in WI (until the one before last) but it is nice not to have to wear a hat, gloves, or winter coat AT ALL! And there are four distinct, beautiful seasons here.

Last edited by katreese; 09-09-2009 at 12:14 AM..

Old 09-12-2009, 09:26 PM

84 posts, read 226,214 times
IDK if we are still on topic...but in short...check out Omaha Nebraska if you plan on moving...one of the BEST areas to live...not much different from wisconsin in a lot of ways and yet worlds different in so many ways...confusing statement I know...but as a person who LOVES wisconsin...I found that this place reminds me of home quite a bit but has milder winters and longer spring/summer months...its not far from home but it's still a "trip" to go home...there are great cultural events here...great diversity and many great jobs to look for...you are somewhat centrally located between cities like Des Moines, Kansas City and not as much Denver but it's close enough to make a trip...however I know that the winters are more "ice" and less snow...and windy as heck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin