Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2011, 08:03 PM

184 posts, read 438,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I left Wisconsin a really long time ago, but still have family there. I don't like going back to Wisconsin. I find Wisconsin to be very rigid, where everyone expects conformity. Wisconsin seems to be steeped in rules and regulations, which everyone follows, and I feel regimented when Im there. Wisconsin people are very provincial---the only thing they know about the rest of the world is how awful Illinois drivers are.
I never saw it described so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 AM

570 posts, read 1,752,954 times
I think Wisconsin is extremely laid back, relaxing, and friendly compared to the other places I've lived. It lowers my blood pressure. 95% of my experience comes from the the small cities (Eau Claire/Wausau/Marshfield area) and rural Wisconsin though.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
I think Wisconsin is extremely laid back, relaxing, and friendly compared to the other places I've lived. It lowers my blood pressure. 95% of my experience comes from the the small cities (Eau Claire/Wausau/Marshfield area) and rural Wisconsin though.
Obviously you've never lived in the South or Florida or Texas. Now THAT'S laid back.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot66 View Post
Obviously you've never lived in the South or Florida or Texas. Now THAT'S laid back.
I see Wisconsin as sort of a paradox. I get what people mean by it's regimented and orderly. But for the most part it's a voluntary regimentation and order with some "social" enforcement of the order. But pretty much everyone goes with the flow of local customs, which contributes to a social cohesion and therefore a sort of oxymoronic "laid-back" sense of place.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I see Wisconsin as sort of a paradox. I get what people mean by it's regimented and orderly. But for the most part it's a voluntary regimentation and order with some "social" enforcement of the order. But pretty much everyone goes with the flow of local customs, which contributes to a social cohesion and therefore a sort of oxymoronic "laid-back" sense of place.
I agree. An example of conforming. there's a nieghbor who has an adult son, in his 40's who moved in with them. He's getting his ife in order, no biggie, but then a neighbor asks, in a way like there's possibly something wrong, why do they have an adult son living with them?? WHO CARES. It's none of their business and they shouldn't be shunned for that. Gosh not a "perfect family", lol. That's just one example. then there's the mention of organization. there is none. Most place I've lived in are far more organized but they enjoy it rather than making it a rule that "has" to be done or else. Also, if you do something that slightly offend someone, they hold it against you forever. That is NOT being laid back by any means. that irks me the most. It's not Christian.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
Somebody sent me an email and I thought it would be on here, so I lost it. They asked how I liked it? but I don't know what they are referring to. Quick response to sum up my take on the states I've lived in other than Wisc.

Indiana we liked very much and would move back if it was warmer in winter.
NC. Very pretty state, but there as a lot of prejudice. Black vs. White and vice versa, Southerner vs. Yankee, local vs anyone else. Very humid in the summer. Lots of bugs. Western NC would be better or someplace where there are more retirees or other people from out of state, like Raleigh. Rural people not friendly at all.

Texas. Great weather, good job market, pretty friendly people compared to other states I've lived. esp. Wis. Bad for allergies. We'll retire here I'm almost sure.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I live in the heavily populated southeastern part. No matter the city or county, many of the roads all around here are bad. Some make you wish you were in a third world country plowing through mud in a Land Cruiser. At least that would be fun. I rarely have seen so many streets so bad, which is odd because the taxes are certainly on the high end. I haven't quite figured out what all those taxes go to. Curbside recyclables pickup is nifty, but there has got to be more than just that.
I still can't get over how bad the roads in WI Dells are. You'd think with all that tax revenue they would do a complete overhaul on them. Wisconsin Dells parkway going through the area where Noah's ark is located is just horrid.

There aren't any paved ones that bad out here in South Dakota and there's no state income tax here. Baraboo's were pretty bad too.

I do love the state.. I still say it's in spite of, and not because, of the local government. The people make the state not the government, which is quite bloated and inefficient as government tends to be.

Compared to south dakota Wisconsinites are not laid back. If anything S Dakotans are too friendly, too much of what I would call pushovers. They won't fight back when treated like crap by their boss, for example. They don't have attitude. Wisconsin people do have 'attitude' .. I know I do, and I'm pretty sure I've witnessed it in others. They tend to more stick to their own affairs and not have the sort of community spirit (in the sense of having frequent gatherings with neighbors and the like) that many who are foreign to Wisconsin think is important. Personally I'd rather just keep to my own affairs and not know the business of everyone else in town, which is common to occur in the small towns out here in SD where people are more friendly and even in a town of 20k everyone seems to know each other's business.

Last edited by sholomar; 03-24-2011 at 08:10 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 09:29 AM

7 posts, read 10,058 times
My recommendation, move to Flagstaff AZ.
1. historically is in the top 5 in snowfall in the US
2. winters are shorter (than WI)
3. No comparisons to the mosquito problems
4. has 4 seasons

Downside...price of housing

Old 03-28-2011, 01:08 PM

570 posts, read 1,752,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazz's View Post
My recommendation, move to Flagstaff AZ.
1. historically is in the top 5 in snowfall in the US
2. winters are shorter (than WI)
3. No comparisons to the mosquito problems
4. has 4 seasons

Downside...price of housing
How much for a nice 100 acre farm there?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
nice. I've never been to scottsbluff, NE but it has a nice climate profile. It's colder in the winter then flagstaff, but chinook winds will bring it into the 50's or warmer a nice chunk of the time. It's not too far from either the black hills or Denver, although still a bit of a drive, and no mosquitoes one would assume. Personally I need some green and good storms though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin