Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 08:48 AM

570 posts, read 1,752,954 times

Advertisements

If some people are happy where they are in their local area and don't want to leave, then good for them. That's great that they can lead a simple happy life and not always want something more and better like many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 10:04 PM

607 posts, read 977,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
As far as people who never leave Wisconsin, very very true.... but that's true of people who live anywhere. I think no matter where you go, you'll always find those big pockets of people who never leave their little corner of the Universe. One lady at my work lives in the tiny town I lived in as a small child. (Current population just over 200, it was even less back in the '80s when I lived there.) She's never been further than Green Bay, and she looked horrified at the concept of going further.

I work with a mother and daughter. The mother's in her early '40s the daughter is 24. I've talked about Caribou Coffee (a popular coffee place around here, my cousin and I love it) and Starbucks to the daughter. She's like, "I don't like that nasty fancy coffee. Quik Trip has what I need." (Quik Trip is the little chain of gas stations popular in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa.) I mentioned I enjoy going to shows in the Twin Cities, two and a half hours away, when I get the chance. Her mother said, "Minneapolis? Ew..." (Actually I don't quite remember if she actually said "ew".. but it was definitely said in that tone of voice. hahaha! If she didn't say it, she may as well have.)

And there are other examples as well... but I won't go into them.

And yet... do these people seem unhappy? No. The daughter just entered a fishing contest. She plays on an adult soccer team. She's very active.... around here. But she and her little circle (she and her mom have the same friends) don't have any desire to leave the area. The daughter talks of how much she loves New Mexico, because she went there on vacation, and might want to live there. And maybe she will. She's young. But I also sort of get the impression she's one of those people that likes to talk, and not much else...

And then there are others, like my cousin. He frequently gets on a plane to see his brother, my other cousin, in Denver. He just got back from a Florida vacation with friends. He frequently visits friends in Minneapolis even though he lives Upnorth like me. (A little further north.) We're both similar in that we embrace other cultures when we can get it. Diff foods, the arts, and whatnot. Particularily music... so...

There's all kinds everywhere. I know a lot of those insular people. And it's very strange everytime I'm on my way down to Minneapolis, to think there are a lot of people I know who never leave our area and have no desire. Like my co-worker. I mention going further than an hour from where she lives and she's like "Ohhhh, too far!" The hermits are very real. There truly are people that never leave.... but then there are the ones that fool ya too.

My grandpa, he's retired. He walks around in overalls and a little baseball hat dinking around the house and his rental properties. He lives in a small northern Wisconsin town. Spends most of his time on county roads and small-town streets. But he drives like a boss in Minneapolis. He knows what he's doing. He lived there as a young man and my mom was born there. And he loves to go out west by himself in his camper.

I'm just saying there's more to people than meets the eye sometimes. I think here in Wisconsin, people are proud, and roots are firmly planted here. So it may seem like they never leave or never want to. But they do.
I have had similar experiences culture wise. Where I live right now, the people who stay in the area after they become adults end up working at the same places there parents do just because that is all they can do. If they do move away, it is usually just a short drive away and end up working similar jobs as their parents.

Having lived in WI for 29 years, I know how WI people operate very well. I am looking to get out so I can make my mark on the world. I want to start a medical practice management company and I don't want to start it here in WI.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:50 AM

49 posts, read 85,119 times
I plan to move to Washington in the next year or so and CAN'T WAIT!!!! I really can't deal with the long winters & even shorter summers here is Wisc. Then when you finally DO have nice weather, the mosquitos carry you away... ugh!! Oh! and let's not forget the woodticks, too!

Old 07-14-2011, 06:10 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,856,714 times
Hey OregonCoastal,
I took new job in Portland. We relocated from Chicago (3 yrs there) but lived in WI for 20 plus years and raised our kids near Milwaukee.

One thing I really like about Oregon is the lack of humidity and mosquitos. Some years in the midwest, these were really bad.

I went back to Chicago a few weeks ago and starting sweating almost as soon as I got off the plane. I forgot how that stickiness feels and frankly if I never feel it again, that is fine w/ me.

Poeple here seem fine, mostly normal. The kids in downtown Portland are entertaining with the hair, tats and whatnot. It must be cool to be unconventional in a conventional sort of way.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:15 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonCoastal View Post
Exactly, we live right by the bay and ocean and no humidity! We had mosquitos and ticks so bad, I don't miss that at all, plus in the winter in the midwest it is all dead looking after the trees lose their leaves, it is so green here...i hike the forests year round with no bugs it is pure joy,,,now if I can just sell my land in Wisconsin!
Northern Wisconsin has lots of greenery all year long as well as it is the Northwoods.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:02 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,856,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonCoastal View Post
now if I can just sell my land in Wisconsin!
That is too weird - I have 100 acres near the Dells I would like to get rid of as well.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
That is too weird - I have 100 acres near the Dells I would like to get rid of as well.
All I know is that the RE market in the Northwoods is extremely depressed right now. The lakefront market had quite the bubble and that has now been quite deflated.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
All I know is that the RE market in the Northwoods is extremely depressed right now. The lakefront market had quite the bubble and that has now been quite deflated.
You wouldn't know it by browsing through asking prices.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They were even higher 3-4 years ago. I check the listings frequently.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:17 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Same thing in northern Michigan. Looking at the asking real estate prices for lakefront homes you would never know Michigan is still in a recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin