Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,057 times

Advertisements

After leaving Kenosha as a child, my family relocated to central Missouri and I now live in Columbia, Missouri which is pretty much in the middle of the state, right on I-70 about halfway between Kansas City and St. Louis. We have four definite seasons (usually we have four, sometimes spring and fall seem kinda short) but the winters are not as long or as cold as in Wisconsin. The flip side of that is that summers can be pretty hot some years. Columbia regularly gets put on one of those lists that rank different categories of the best places to live in the U.S...the most recent one was just a few months ago when it was deemed the third smartest place in the U.S. We have great medical care here and education is a priority in this community. We have some rougher areas of town, like any other city of its size (about 110,000) but for the most part Columbia is a lovely city with much community pride. My guess is that cost of living here is less than in Kenosha. I came here to go to Mizzou back in the 1960s and stayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 02:06 PM

259 posts, read 365,982 times
Moved from Wauwatosa (hometown Oshkosh) to Palm Harbor Florida 30 years ago via Ryder truck.
We loved Waywatosa (still do) ,but the bitter winters and having a rather large home on a corner
didn't help as snow removal was a hassle. Anyway it was 10 degrees when we took my wife fol-
lowing in a little Chevy with my daughter and I had Zeke my dog in the truck. We escaped FROM
Wisconsin trust me! We love Florida but have a warm and fuzzy for North Carolina also.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:20 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Moved from Wi to FL. I see two things I consider "advantage".
I don't know if my hands fit a snow shovel anymore...
I can go fishing any time of the year without drilling a hole in the water.

Downside?
Drugs
Drunks
Derelicts
Far more than I ever saw in WI.

Loved Wisconsin and the people. My only complaint is their pronunciation of the letter "o" and holding on to the letter "a" for three seconds.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:16 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post

Loved Wisconsin and the people. My only complaint is their pronunciation of the letter "o" and holding on to the letter "a" for three seconds.
Examples?

Old 02-24-2015, 11:11 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,154 times
We moved to Florida's west coast near Clearwater from Wauwatosa via a Ryder Truck. We lived for the last year
nrar Green Bay but within two months we are moving to
Hendersonville NC via United Van lines.

Last edited by openmike; 02-24-2015 at 11:25 AM..

Old 02-25-2015, 12:28 PM

hard to put in writing

the o in wisconsin is not like "oo" in canada. Wisconsinites start off with a normal, but very quck "o" sound and end it with a slight "aw" sound. and hold it for a long time because it's a vowel and that's what you do in Wisconsin with vowels.

and the "a" is strangled for a very long time.
no way = No(aww) whey-y-y

"ou" is actually how "o" should be pronounced
house = hoce
(example) Hoce on the Rock

which reminds me "s" is often pronounced like a soft "c". very hissy

wife is from central Wisconsin. when we argue, i go into Wisconsin accent. i've got it down.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:45 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
hard to put in writing

the o in wisconsin is not like "oo" in canada. Wisconsinites start off with a normal, but very quck "o" sound and end it with a slight "aw" sound. and hold it for a long time because it's a vowel and that's what you do in Wisconsin with vowels.

and the "a" is strangled for a very long time.
no way = No(aww) whey-y-y

"ou" is actually how "o" should be pronounced
house = hoce
(example) Hoce on the Rock

which reminds me "s" is often pronounced like a soft "c". very hissy

wife is from central Wisconsin. when we argue, i go into Wisconsin accent. i've got it down.
What?? I think it's you w/the accent problem, not us. Since when has house ever been pronounced hoce? Never. Wow.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What?? I think it's you w/the accent problem, not us. Since when has house ever been pronounced hoce? Never. Wow.
My friend from Toronto doesn't think his o's sound funny either.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:21 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
I have a bit of a northern accent. It helps separate us from the lower Midwest. lol

Old 02-25-2015, 05:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Dohn't goh to Wisc-AAAAAHN-sin widdohwt tryin' at least tree kyyndza cheeez. Oh, and doh't ferget ta goh to dah taaahvern fer some lohcal beers...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin