Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 10:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times

Advertisements

Wait, Wisconsin is too conservative for you but Florida isn't??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 01:10 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I grew up in Shorewood/Milwaukee.. It was a great place to grow up, but I'm in South Florida for 20 years now.
It's not "heaven on earth".. but definitely beats Wisconsin.

People always talk about the "change of seasons" in Wisconsin.. to me it's constantly overcast, cold, and damp there.. except for 6 weeks of summer.

I spent (2) months in Milwaukee about 2 years ago and couldn't wait to get out.
Wisconsin is a great place to grow up/raise a family..but it's just waaaaaaaaaay too conservative for me...
It's cold, expensive to live, not much in career opportunities, and in a time warp.
You could not pay me to live in south Florida. The intense sun angle at the very low latitude, heat, humidity, etc are ridiculous. Wisconsin only has a few cold months out of the year. The rest of the year has fairly mild weather much of the time. If you think Wisconsin is conservative you haven't lived in or been to other parts of the country. Try many areas of the South or Great Plains states.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:33 PM

36 posts, read 68,344 times
Moved to Harshaw after vacationing in the area as a kid. 18 acres, very few neighbors, pretty much peace and serenity.
Now add to the mix, unfriendly neighbors, ticks, and mosquitos. Could handle the bugs but, not the locals.
After 4 years relocated to far Western South Dakota. Found the same, sans the rude people.
Spent 50 yrs living in the Wisconsin/Illinois area, no comparison to W South Dakota.

Anyone looking for a nice home in N Wisconsin?

Old 03-25-2015, 10:26 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
After starving in a basement in Madison-- where I had wonderful friends-- I moved to Vermont. I was shocked at the existence of dirt roads, fried bread dough and community suppers, but found that it was in general very egalitarian, community-oriented, and just as liberal-- at least in my corner of the state-- as Madison ever was. Plus, winter goes a lot faster when one can snowshoe from the front door through miles of woods.

I have been very distressed to see that the voters of my birth state have been hornswoggled by the Koch-funded apparatchiki-- Americans For Prosperity, American Legislative Exchange Council, et al.-- and put people like Ron Johnson, Paul Ryan and Scott Walker in power, so I am glad not to have returned.

You want to see dirt roads? Come to Michigan. Much closer to Wisconsin than Vermont.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:31 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcity2012 View Post
San Diego. It was 66 degrees here today, as it is most cool days in winter. Decent economy and yes, higher taxes, but also higher wages.

Where in Cali? When I looked at jobs in California the pay was no better than the midwest, despite home prices at least 3X what they are in the midwest.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:49 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Default Hello? McFly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Where in Cali?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcity2012 View Post
San Diego.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:18 PM

9 posts, read 11,775 times
I left Wisconsin for San Diego and thought San Diego was much better. I lived in an upscale apartment community on northeast side of San Diego and the rent was similar to Madison prices. The jobs in technology also paid better and my utilities and groceries were lower in comparison to Madison or Janesville. Biggest thing which stood out was the culture. People were much different and were living their lives despite their age. In Wisconsin you can be judged and stereotyped for performing certain activities beyond a certain time or day of the week. Also if you don't have kids you will definitely not enjoy yourself in Wisconsin and feel awkward. Mostly manufacturing in Wisconsin and a large union environment. In California there are a lot of large technology companies which cater to my skill sets. It is also hard to find people my age doing stuff in Wisconsin as most are busy raising their kids and participating in their school activities. San Diego is huge on fitness and health which motivates you to keep in shape and educate on the subject.

I ended up coming back to Wisconsin to follow and support my spouse in her career and be close to sick family. If it wasn't for that I would be elsewhere. I also spent some time in Dallas, Texas and liked it a lot better. To me it is the people and the large cities which makes the difference. I felt folks I ran into here in Wisconsin for the most part were rude. It isn't all of them but percentage doing it bleed badly into rest. I could go on and on into more detail but I'd honestly be here all night. It really depends on you and your preferences. I'm the type of guy who moves quickly and loves challenges. I have better luck releasing that in a large city like Chicago, Dallas or San Diego. It has been my experience I'm always being held back here in Wisconsin which is extremely irritating. It all depends on you and your preference.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:00 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd2015 View Post
In Wisconsin you can be judged and stereotyped for performing certain activities beyond a certain time or day of the week.
What activities exactly are you referring to?

Old 03-27-2015, 02:44 PM

346 posts, read 463,819 times
Bend, Oregon! The most beautiful place I've ever been. (Google it, sometime).

But, alas, after 18 years here, I am moving back to Wisconsin. I miss being near family, especially my elderly father who probably doesn't have a ton of time left. And the job prospects in Madison are much better than Bend (population 80,000).

Old 03-27-2015, 10:22 PM

9 posts, read 11,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What activities exactly are you referring to?
Going to a 10 o'clock show or meeting colleagues from work at the local sports pub to have a beer. Some folks around here think if you're in your 30's, 40's or above and out past 9 pm you're going through a mid-life crisis, possess a drinking problem or unfaithful to your spouse. That is such stereotypical Midwestern nonsense and I've witnessed it a million times so don't act like it doesn't go on. Meanwhile in large cities elsewhere whether it be Los Angeles, New York or wherever this goes on regularly and no one gives it a second thought (or at least not like they do here). Most people here my age turn their lights off and go to sleep by 7:30 at night. It is so lame witnessing such a large majority of people doing this especially on the weekends. I saw this kind of behavior when I lived in Janesville, Madison and Oak Creek so if you think moving to another city within the state resolves this problem you're sadly mistaking. Heck some communities now don't even have a 9 o'clock show anymore and have done away with it. After some careful research I learned the city counsel in one community was actually pressuring business to turn its lights off and close earlier. This is seriously messed up because not everyone is a house mouse. If you all want to live like hermits fine that is your thing but when you start pressing this on everyone else like it should be the norm that is like a cult and messed up. I seriously worry about the depression levels of younger generations in this part of the country because I can barely take it myself and I'm older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin