Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 08:55 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,785,370 times

Advertisements

I know what you're saying about the "o" pronunciation! A lot of Wisconsin folks are so used to it that they don't really notice.

I always play it up... I'll tell a friend, "Hey, call me on the phoooone when you get hooooome, why dontcha?!" It's not quite Marge the Pregnant Sheriff in the movie Fargo, but pretty darned close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 07:43 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
My friend from Toronto doesn't think his o's sound funny either.
I have one friend who sounds Canadian, that's it. Every single other person I know & come into contact with does not. You must live far up north, your assessment doesn't apply to the majority of the state.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:57 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
The "long O" sound is strong in WI, very strong in MN , and overpowering in ND...

Like "I'm from MinnesOOOOOOOOta, not too bad a deal, eh?

I've also noticed that the "L" in Milwaukee is often silent..

Old 02-26-2015, 08:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Sometimes the i is silent too. "M'waukee"

Old 02-26-2015, 09:36 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Sometimes the i is silent too. "M'waukee"
Very true--that's how the natives pronounce it.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:21 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I know what you're saying about the "o" pronunciation! A lot of Wisconsin folks are so used to it that they don't really notice.

I always play it up... I'll tell a friend, "Hey, call me on the phoooone when you get hooooome, why dontcha?!" It's not quite Marge the Pregnant Sheriff in the movie Fargo, but pretty darned close.

this made me chuckle; seemed most we met in SC while we lived there guessed we came from Minnesota cuz according to them we talked like they did in Fargo..... I'm like "no we are from Wisconsin and there is a difference, dontcha know".

I actually found variations up here in accents to be similar to the differences one could hear down in SC. Those who were generational residents had very thick accents at times hard to understand; and those who's parents or grandparents moved to SC had much less of that southern drawl.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:52 PM

809 posts, read 997,621 times
After starving in a basement in Madison-- where I had wonderful friends-- I moved to Vermont. I was shocked at the existence of dirt roads, fried bread dough and community suppers, but found that it was in general very egalitarian, community-oriented, and just as liberal-- at least in my corner of the state-- as Madison ever was. Plus, winter goes a lot faster when one can snowshoe from the front door through miles of woods.

I have been very distressed to see that the voters of my birth state have been hornswoggled by the Koch-funded apparatchiki-- Americans For Prosperity, American Legislative Exchange Council, et al.-- and put people like Ron Johnson, Paul Ryan and Scott Walker in power, so I am glad not to have returned.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:06 PM

365 posts, read 779,564 times
San Francisco Bay Area. Lived in the City (San Francisco) for many years, now live in the Town (Oakland). The only time I ever get teased about having a Wisconsin accent is when I say the word "bag". Although I love Wisconsin and loved growing up there I doubt if I'll ever move out of California, the climate and scenery are just too good here.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:38 PM

21 posts, read 29,291 times
San Diego. It was 66 degrees here today, as it is most cool days in winter. Decent economy and yes, higher taxes, but also higher wages. I grew up in Wisconsin and only miss one thing since coming to California... rain. And green grass... ok two things.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:40 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,445,439 times
I grew up in Shorewood/Milwaukee.. It was a great place to grow up, but I'm in South Florida for 20 years now.
It's not "heaven on earth".. but definitely beats Wisconsin.

People always talk about the "change of seasons" in Wisconsin.. to me it's constantly overcast, cold, and damp there.. except for 6 weeks of summer.

I spent (2) months in Milwaukee about 2 years ago and couldn't wait to get out.
Wisconsin is a great place to grow up/raise a family..but it's just waaaaaaaaaay too conservative for me...
It's cold, expensive to live, not much in career opportunities, and in a time warp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin