Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 11:13 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
^^ Very true. And all the way down the west coast of Florida, Sarasota all the way to Ft. Meyers. I swear every time we're down there and strike up a conversation with someone, they're from Michigan! We were at a hotel once in Port Charlotte, and saw a Wisconsin license plate in the parking lot, and chatted up the guy. Sure enough, they were from Jefferson, and spend every winter at that little resort on Charlotte Harbor!
I don't know what role the highways play in this. I-95 does go from Miami to Boston(and up to the Maine/Canada border). From Milwaukee you have to take I-65 and I-75. I-75 goes to southwest Florida,and it connects to I-95 in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 08:42 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
Texas has lots of people from Wisconsin also. Two of my best friends from HS moved here. I'd never go back, the winters, the taxes, the crummy roads, forget it. Even with the changes since Walker, Wisconsin still has the 4th highest tax burden of any state. Add on the winter heating bills, and its no wonder so many leave. Texas is in the mid 40th rank every year on tax burden, and while the summers are hot, you don't have to shovel it. After summers over, the rest of the year is very nice.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:27 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't know what role the highways play in this. I-95 does go from Miami to Boston(and up to the Maine/Canada border). From Milwaukee you have to take I-65 and I-75. I-75 goes to southwest Florida,and it connects to I-95 in Miami.
That's a possibility. But I think it's more determined by the lifestyle. The Gulf Coast is VERY laid back. The east coast is more fast-paced. Like Punta Gorda=Des Moines. Miami=New York City.
That's my theory anyway.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
That's a possibility. But I think it's more determined by the lifestyle. The Gulf Coast is VERY laid back. The east coast is more fast-paced. Like Punta Gorda=Des Moines. Miami=New York City.
That's my theory anyway.
That could be one theory. I have noticed that the Midwest feels a bit more low-key than the Northeast. On the other hand, I mention highways because of where they go to. I-95 goes from Maine to Miami, thus bringing people along from Boston, New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia,etc. I-75 goes from Detroit to Miami, but it makes a stop in Tampa.

On the other hand, I have noticed that 75 is the only highway in Florida that comes from the Midwest, so highways might be a correlation, but not a causation. It is like my Research Methods professor told me "correlation is not causation".

Another thing I thought about is this. I hear of people from Wisconsin(and the rest of the Midwest) going to Tampa-St.Petersburg-Clearwater, but not to places like Pensacola or Panama City. Something else to think of.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:34 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
for what this highly scientific data is worth lol:
we went down to Savannah over Easter weekend and part of the drive for us here is down 95. Once we hit 95, we counted plates from almost 20 different states including a couple Canadian provinces. There were a couple from Ohio/MI/PA, but the highest # were from NJ & NY and the upper NE states. And they were ALL in a hurry, very little cheerful road courtesy

Old 06-05-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
On the other hand, I have noticed that 75 is the only highway in Florida that comes from the Midwest, so highways might be a correlation, but not a causation. It is like my Research Methods professor told me "correlation is not causation".
You know, I never thought of it that way, but that is very true.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
You know, I never thought of it that way, but that is very true.
It is part of why I am curious about why there are higher concentration of Wisconsinites in Western Florida vs Eastern Florida.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:57 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
Quote:
It is part of why I am curious about why there are higher concentration of Wisconsinites in Western Florida vs Eastern Florida.
for some reason most of the contacts i had in Wi that went to or moved to FL ended up on that side as well, from the Tampa/St Pete Beach area up around the gulf coast. Not sure if housing made more sense for them cost wise then on the Atlantic, or if once one person moved to an area then others followed. Maybe those areas just seemed to be more for transplants and retirees over Daytona and the other major coastal beaches.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:18 AM

I think I'll go ask....

Old 06-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Around the Atlanta area I'm seeing more and more Wisconsin license plates. Interestingly, alot of Wisconsinites I met around Atlanta are not from Milwaukee, but from Appleton or Green Bay. Now that I'm thinking about this, I'm wondering if the Kimberly-Clark facility in Roswell, just north of Atlanta, has anything to do with it. Alot of Milwaukeeans I've met in Atlanta are African-American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin