Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 11:09 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I live in Georgia and can see plenty of that same element. Don't get me wrong. I like to watch sports. However, I do alot more than just that. SEC is big in Georgia too. I couldn't care less about it.

Depends on who you hang around and where you go. I can find plenty in Georgia that isn't as you describe. However, that element does exist.
agreed. Not like the beaches down by Charleston were empty on college game days in fall; or everyone partied (or on flip side was dry). Same for up here; the streets in Green Bay may become nearly deserted on a home game day, and bars may be packed watching the games but same can be said for many locales with a strong fan base no matter the zipcode.

Myself? I may love the Badgers/Packers, but wont let a game be the defining moment on my weekend schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 05:02 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,785,370 times
Wait. Comparing excrement to excrement doesn't sound like much fun. I would like to NOT do that. That is one horrible sounding hobby. I'd rather get stuck in a roundabout.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:10 PM

12 posts, read 10,942 times
Well I left Minnesnowta about 30 years ago and moved to Miami area. In 2005 I sold my business there and went first to Panama and then when my heart problems didn't go away by wishing I went to Barranquilla Colombia for triple bypass surgery. Back to Panama and later came to the Dominican Republic. Spanish wasn't too difficult to learn for me since I had lived with it in Miami and even married a woman from Colombia who never learned much English. But now I am in the Dominican Republic and thinking of heading to the US Virgin Islands.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:13 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,785,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo El Gringo View Post
Well I left Minnesnowta about 30 years ago and moved to Miami area. In 2005 I sold my business there and went first to Panama and then when my heart problems didn't go away by wishing I went to Barranquilla Colombia for triple bypass surgery. Back to Panama and later came to the Dominican Republic. Spanish wasn't too difficult to learn for me since I had lived with it in Miami and even married a woman from Colombia who never learned much English. But now I am in the Dominican Republic and thinking of heading to the US Virgin Islands.

Now THAT'S a change of pace. I hope you've recuperated well from your surgery?
I'd love to live in the US Virgin Islands. Looks lovely there. I'd totally renounce Wisconsin.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:26 PM

223 posts, read 391,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd2015 View Post
In fact I recently read in Milwaukee Journal for the first time in almost a decade Milwaukee's population actually went up this year (which almost never happens) yet you folks want everyone to think things are prosperous here in Wisconsin and the best place to be. Ok
Uh... becoming a growing city after five decades of losing residents IS a big deal, and IS a sign of prosperity. Why would so many people want to move to a place with a reputation of a "dying city" if its fortunes haven't changed for the better?

Either way, according to your profile, you've only made 13 posts and the overwhelming majority of them have been in this thread. Now what was it that you said about "normal people" not having time to obsess over an issue?

Besides, you no longer have to live in Wisconsin, correct? Do you really have nothing better to do than to worry about whether or not a bunch of strangers in a place you don't even live in agree with you about how bad it sucks?

Old 04-01-2015, 08:20 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
agreed. Not like the beaches down by Charleston were empty on college game days in fall; or everyone partied (or on flip side was dry). Same for up here; the streets in Green Bay may become nearly deserted on a home game day, and bars may be packed watching the games but same can be said for many locales with a strong fan base no matter the zipcode.

Myself? I may love the Badgers/Packers, but wont let a game be the defining moment on my weekend schedule.
In Atlanta one particular afternoon, I went on the MARTA train. It was full of people wearing UGA apparel. I pretty much stood out.

I don't mind going to a game and cheering for my team. What I have an issue with is making it the only thing one does.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:46 PM

346 posts, read 463,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo El Gringo View Post
Sounds great! Nowhere near the topic of "Wisconsin", but sounds great nonetheless.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:35 AM

607 posts, read 977,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I grew up in Shorewood/Milwaukee.. It was a great place to grow up, but I'm in South Florida for 20 years now.
It's not "heaven on earth".. but definitely beats Wisconsin.

People always talk about the "change of seasons" in Wisconsin.. to me it's constantly overcast, cold, and damp there.. except for 6 weeks of summer.

I spent (2) months in Milwaukee about 2 years ago and couldn't wait to get out.
Wisconsin is a great place to grow up/raise a family..but it's just waaaaaaaaaay too conservative for me...
It's cold, expensive to live, not much in career opportunities, and in a time warp.
Not much to disagree with here. It sure isn't warm that often and when it does get warm people act like it is 150 degrees out (lol) and they can't handle it (lol).

Incomes are generally low since there aren't that many big companies in the state. Nationally, average incomes are about middle of the road.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:42 AM

607 posts, read 977,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And to include Madison on that list? LOL. That place has a reputation far and wide as a hard-partying town. Does it have the glitz and glamor of Vegas or Miami Beach, no... but ain't nobody gonna chastise you if there's a pint of beer in your hand past 9pm either, that's for sure. Hell, you're more likely to catch flak if you're out that late and there isn't a drink in your hand.
Madison is about "gotta live near downtown (lol)" and then working their government jobs or heading to Epic or American Family Insurance for their jobs.

I am never surprised that people leave for bigger paying jobs. Too many college graduates from within the state try to flood the Madison area for those $28k/year jobs and the employers know it so they have no reason to try and pay top dollar.

The drinking stuff is pretty much spot on.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:59 PM

223 posts, read 391,556 times
Good point about Madison. Milwaukee would be in a much better position to cultivate a job market capable of sustaining UW grads if politicians of a certain ilk weren't so busy stirring up anti-urban sentiment to push their agenda and scapegoatting us for everything that's gone wrong in Wisconsin tor the past 50 years. Milwaukee seems to finally be turning the corner for the better, despite their best efforts, but until these politicians and the voters who support them start admitting how important Milwaukee is to Wisconsin's economic future, college grads will continue to leave for Chicago and Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin