Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 06:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Even if the landscape Mexicans head south for the winter, your neighbors can still hire the local kids to do it. Whatever happened to having the neighborhood kids walk around and offer to shovel your sidewalk for $5 or $10?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 05:13 AM

319 posts, read 634,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Stop at a Wisconsin rest area on the interstate and count how many separate recycling receptacles there are. You don't even have to live there for a while to observe that.

When I lived in Michigan, and visited my sister in Wisconsin, she'd make me go out and help shovel her snow, first thing in the morning, when there was an inch or two overnight, right down to the pavement, and right to the edge of the grass, I remarked that the difference between Wi and MI is that in WI everybody shovels their show, while in MI, everyone just drives through it. She acted like I was talking about Bangladesh. I looked up and down the street, and everyone was doing the same thing, as if they are afraid of some secret police or something. Or officious neighbors, which is worse. Then she said you have to carry each shovelful onto your lawn, because you're not allowed to push the snow into the street, even though it's fine for the showplows to shove it all into your driveway. I'd like to hear the supreme court rule on that law, but people in WI just take it. I was remarking to my nephew about these kinds of things, and he said Yes, Wisconsin is the most nazi state in the US. And he grew up in Germany.

Walking through deep snow sucks. Being polite and considerate of your neighbors=Nazism? Ok then....

Old 07-09-2009, 10:58 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Stop at a Wisconsin rest area on the interstate and count how many separate recycling receptacles there are. You don't even have to live there for a while to observe that.

When I lived in Michigan, and visited my sister in Wisconsin, she'd make me go out and help shovel her snow, first thing in the morning, when there was an inch or two overnight, right down to the pavement, and right to the edge of the grass, I remarked that the difference between Wi and MI is that in WI everybody shovels their show, while in MI, everyone just drives through it. She acted like I was talking about Bangladesh. I looked up and down the street, and everyone was doing the same thing, as if they are afraid of some secret police or something. Or officious neighbors, which is worse. Then she said you have to carry each shovelful onto your lawn, because you're not allowed to push the snow into the street, even though it's fine for the showplows to shove it all into your driveway. I'd like to hear the supreme court rule on that law, but people in WI just take it. I was remarking to my nephew about these kinds of things, and he said Yes, Wisconsin is the most nazi state in the US. And he grew up in Germany.

When my WI relatives drive to the mall, they think you are "not allowed" to pull through a parkng space so you are pointing out through the facing one. "Not allowed to" is the phrase I hear most frequently when hanging out with my family there. Wisconsin people have a very keen awareness of what you're "not allowed" to do. It's like a sixth sense.

These are not opinions, they are observations. Ive lived in 15 other states, and I see what I see.
Sounds very Germanic in all its best and worst. WI has many with German heritage. Old German saying my Mom would use "ordnung muss sein" Translated: "Order Must Be" I also see some good old fashioned neighborliness in not piling up snow on the street or on the neighbor's lawn along with common courtesy. In my visits to Germany I see a lot of this "Must follow the rules" and striving for orderliness. I believe the other northern European groups settling WI had some to quite a bit of this too that gets passed down and diluted a little bit also.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Sounds very Germanic in all its best and worst. WI has many with German heritage. Old German saying my Mom would use "ordnung muss sein" Translated: "Order Must Be" I also see some good old fashioned neighborliness in not piling up snow on the street or on the neighbor's lawn along with common courtesy. In my visits to Germany I see a lot of this "Must follow the rules" and striving for orderliness. I believe the other northern European groups settling WI had some to quite a bit of this too that gets passed down and diluted a little bit also.
I like order. I like it when things are clean and calm. It gives me more time and space to be creative, rather than sitting in a mess. If streets are clean, I can concentrate on the beauty of nature around me. If a room is very clean, I can think better. I am at ease when things are clean, orderly, and nice. Maybe some of that "Ordung Muss Sein" trickle down to Atlanta,GA, when it really is a dirty, disorderly city. Even some of the nicer suburbs have problems with littering.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:33 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I like order. I like it when things are clean and calm. It gives me more time and space to be creative, rather than sitting in a mess. If streets are clean, I can concentrate on the beauty of nature around me. If a room is very clean, I can think better. I am at ease when things are clean, orderly, and nice. Maybe some of that "Ordung Muss Sein" trickle down to Atlanta,GA, when it really is a dirty, disorderly city. Even some of the nicer suburbs have problems with littering.
Hey pirate, why don't you stop lurking around the Wisconsin forum and just move your butt up here already? You sound like you belong in Wisconsin more so than in Georgia.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:09 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Hey pirate, why don't you stop lurking around the Wisconsin forum and just move your butt up here already? You sound like you belong in Wisconsin more so than in Georgia.
One problem. I can't afford to move right now.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:39 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,287 times
This post is hilarious. I love how people are going back and forth about the most trivial things. I guess that's another thing that is so interesting about Wisconsin people! We/they argue about the most trivial things...not out of hate or culture, but more-so just because we can and enjoy a good laugh afterwards.

This kind of communication happens everyday in our back-yard bbq's, supper clubs, taverns, etc. And yet we eat and drink together and don't hate each other for our trivial pursuit of being right. LOL

Reading this post only makes me miss Wisconsin even more!

Old 07-12-2009, 02:41 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,287 times
p.s. I'm coming back next summer for a fun vacation with my daughters and new bride. (My daughters think Wisconsin is heaven on earth) My wife is originally from southern Missouri and has never been to Wisconsin...boy, is she in for a real treat! My girls and I can't wait...

Old 07-13-2009, 11:52 AM

767 posts, read 2,065,664 times
I lived in GB for 8 years and now live in Springfield, Il. Overall, things aren't much different. However, things I like better in IL are:

1.) The weather is MUCH better (warmer year-round)
2.) Live fairly close to St. Louis and it has alot to offer
3.) IL income taxes are lower

Things I liked better in WI:

1.) the terrain
2.) the Packers
3.) all of the water

I think that the people are great both places and the towns are about equal size and have about the same things to offer (GB and Springfield). This was an easy move for me and itr is still close enough to WI to go there a few times a year to visit Door Co. and go to a few Packers games. Overall, the places are pretty much a toss-up. I would live in which ever one I can make the most $$ as living costs are about the same too.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:37 PM

570 posts, read 1,752,763 times
Can't wait to come up for my annual visit back to the farm outside of Owen WI from Aug 15 - Sep 9. Will be outside from sunrise to sunset every day loving it and will hate the day I have to return to Phoenix as usual.
Will retire from the military and be back permanently soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin