Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 09:03 PM
awd awd started this thread

6 posts, read 19,472 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer in Milwaukee and planning to move up there from Chicago suburb.
I have one kid and don`t know much about the neighborhood around Milwaukee. Part of the job will be on call and I have to be in the hospital(downtown Milwaukee) within 30 minutes. I have no plans living in the downtown area. So my question is where`s the best Milwaukee suburb to live in? (low crime rate, affordable living, diverse, close to groceries etc..)
I`m thinking Brookfield is a nice place (28 minutes to get to downtown Milwaukee)... Pls. let me know more info....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2006, 06:23 PM

22 posts, read 84,584 times
Brookfield is the best choice in my opinion. I am assuming you are speaking of the City of Brookfield? There is also the town of Brookfield. Any of the suburbs that surround the Milwaukee area will have higher taxes and less house for the money. Also the issue of crime around the Milwaukee area is quite higher. Brookfield is great because the schools are great and there is much growth and development ( at a controlled pace). quality of life is high in brookfield. The one drawback of brookfield is that it is not that diverse (in my opinion) I guess it depends on how you define diversity? Despite it's lack of diversity it is still a great area to raise a family. Good Luck!

Last edited by jammocaz; 06-04-2006 at 06:34 PM..

Old 06-04-2006, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the response. I`ll just rent a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment there.

Brookfield (Next to Elm Grove) is my 1st choice, although it will take me more than 20 minutes to get to downtown( prices of gas is my concern also and during winter time driving too.)
What do you think about.....

1)Wauwatosa (W. North Ave.) - 6.8 miles local or 8.6 miles highway to get to downtown hospital.

2)Oak Creek (S. Meyer Ln.) 15.2 miles or 18 minutes via highway. This is also closer to Chicago or Gurnee if I wanted to visit some friends there...This place is very close to the I-94

3)Greenfield (S. Ravinia Drive) 10.6 miles or 13 minutes to Downtown Milwaukee.

I`m looking for a neighborhood that is closer to a good school, stores etc. Also not infested by gangs , drugs, vandals etc.

I`ll accept the job offer tomorrow, but haven`t made up my mind where to rent an apartment.

Do you guys know places to avoid? We are going there on Thursday to check out some apartments. A quick response is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-04-2006, 07:44 PM

I would stay away from Wauwatosa!! The reason is Wauwatosa is really not a suburb. It wants to be viewed as a suburb. It is in the heart of milwaukee. It also borders some questionable neighborhoods. Also the school systems in Wauwatosa is not nearly as good as Brookfield or Oak creek. Wauwatosa school system has declined in quality education in the last few years. they have seen two school superintendents leave in the last few years. they almost closed an elementary school because it was not performing well and the growth of wauwatosa has declined.

families are not staying in wauwatosa because they found out what others already knew. that it is not the place that it touts it is. the housing is inflated for such small homes. Waukesha county is the county in which Brookfield is located. the area is growing and many professionals are relocating to the area. Wauwatosa would not be one on my list. you may as well live in milwaukee if you decide to move to Wauwatosa. The crime has gotten out of hand! Oakcreek is a wonderful community south of Milwaukee. It has always had a stellar reputation with excellent schools and low crime. I would definitely consider oak creek as possibility. Greenfield, absolutely not!! Basically Milwaukee with substantial crime and growing problem with latino gangs moving into the area. A big gang in the area is called the "Latin Kings" or the "LK's". Other great areas are Cudahy, Milwaukee or St. Francis, Wisconsin. Both are 10 minutes from downtown and virtually crime free with affordable housing and great schools. These communities are south of metro milwaukee. These areas are almost within walking distance of the lakefront!! Which is a plus. Check out these areas as well!! I hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:50 PM

jammocaz, this info is very helpful to us. I`m considering Oak Creek as my 1st choice, since Brookfield is as far as Oak Creek to downtown Milwaukee. Oak Creek is a lot closer to Chicago or Gurnee Mills. Thank you so much for warning me about Wauwatosa and Greenfield.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:13 PM

I am glad to help.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:18 PM

other great areas are Cudahy, Wi or St. Francis, Wi or South Milwaukee ( which is a suburb) in my other post I listed Cudahy, milwaukee. That was a typo. I meant to say cudahy, Wi.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:32 AM

8 posts, read 25,886 times
Depends on what you mean by "diversity."

I would recommend Shorewood if you want the best schools, very low crime, more cultural and racial "diversity" than other suburbs and close to downtown.

I think the crime comments about Wauwatosa were waaaay exaggerated and a bit off base. It is a highly desirable area, as far as my clients are concerned, and property values are only increasing. The school records are spottier than some, but is overall is viewed as a nice place to live and raise a family! To say that Wauwatosa is not a suburb you would have to say that Shorewood, Glendale and Brown Deer aren't suburbs. The eastern and northern edges are bordered by Milwaukee, but the southern and western edges aren't.

If you want diversity, you sure won't find it in Brookfield (or really Oak Creek)and with the construction, driving time is more like 45 minutes. Schools are decent.

It all depends on what you want to spend on rent, too.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:05 AM

I just talked with the recruiter, and mentioned to stay away from North side Milwaukee.

Although upper north is a good location , but expensive...

Is Greendale a good place?

Old 06-05-2006, 11:30 AM

8 posts, read 25,886 times
Greendale is very nice - especially near the village. I have clients specify Greendale as a place they want to live. Schools are above average.

You can compare schools side-by-side by county here:

[url] removed

Glendale also is nice, affordable, close to freeway access, the lake, downtown and a really good school system, too.

How much do you want to spend on rent and how big of a place do yu need? I don't do rentals, but I have knowledge of what you can expect to pay for rent in specific areas.

Last edited by Yac; 06-06-2006 at 04:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin