Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 04:48 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,959 times

Advertisements

Having read CampingMom's experience, I was just absolutely outraged. I almost had a "stroke," so to speak, figuratively. The agent's treatment of her is beyond sub-inhumane. CampingMom represents many of us who genuinely need help and would sincerely work if given a chance. The case illustrated makes me wish I had become a lawyer in my early years, as I would have specifically and passionately pushed for consumer and labor rights legislation as it relates to contractual temp work. The final kick to the horse that's already down (us unemployed) is the level of arrogance and complete, almost sociopathic lack of any compassion. I believe some of these so-called agents need psychiatric evaluation for I fail to see how anybody can have a such a distinct, smug lack of compassion - especially the way they look you square in the eye as they cut you down. Did some of them torture animals when they were young kids? Yet another obvious symptom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 04:53 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Having read CampingMom's experience, I was just absolutely outraged. I almost had a "stroke," so to speak, figuratively. The agent's treatment of her is beyond sub-inhumane. CampingMom represents many of us who genuinely need help and would sincerely work if given a chance. The case illustrated makes me wish I had become a lawyer in my early years, as I would have specifically and passionately pushed for consumer and labor rights legislation as it relates to contractual temp work. The final kick to the horse that's already down (us unemployed) is the level of arrogance and complete, almost sociopathic lack of any compassion. I believe some of these so-called agents need psychiatric evaluation for I fail to see how anybody can have a such a distinct, smug lack of compassion - especially the way they look you square in the eye as they cut you down. Did some of them torture animals when they were young kids? Yet another obvious symptom.
I stopped using temp agencies a long time ago due to this very treatment and attitude. They wasted enough of my time.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,021 times
You guys are right. It seems no matter what it's "do your best to get one step forward" & all your efforts with these staffers are nil. I must have been either called back by, interviewed by, or just ignored altogether by easily 16 different staffing services within the last 6 months.
I have a 6 year background in specialized mechanics & even went to school & graduated as an electronic systems technician. The school has d*%k for a career services dep't, so I basically have no choice but to find work entirely by myself (which is fine, but WTF?) They're a "McDonald's in the mall" type staffing agency anyhow. So much for 31 thou! But these people ARE just salesman. No one had to tell me that, so good thing I found this site & now I know I'm not totally looney. No skills...huh? (Think again you easy rider temp dogs!) pfff. None of us should be treated with thier bad attitudes (Even though I'm from Chicago).

Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times
Temp agencies dont really care about you. Their job is to just get the biggest possible pool of candidates that might get hired, and push them to the employer. They just need to get one of you hired for them to win.

People like me, desperate *******s, who have like 8 years of experience, and a degree, end up getting these jobs, where we are significantly underemployed, but we push out the fringe people who might otherwise be considered. The job Im doing now requires not a fraction of my talent, but I got the job because I was so significantly overqualified, and oozed desperation.

Before I took the temp job Im in now (a grave error on my part), my temp "agent" would routinely submit me for just about every job that came up.

Why? Because people like me never settle for temp work, but these days, we increasingly have no choice.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuttner View Post
You guys are right. It seems no matter what it's "do your best to get one step forward" & all your efforts with these staffers are nil. I must have been either called back by, interviewed by, or just ignored altogether by easily 16 different staffing services within the last 6 months.
I was a resident of Georgia and got my job in Washington via a temp agency... (Aerotek)

I worked for them for 5 months and was hired perm by the client last October. I'm on pace to make $70k this year. I have a industrial metalworking background for the last 18 years. I am currently programming and running CNC machines.

With all the horror stories I keep reading about temp services I guess it's safe to say I got lucky? I never even talked to them after I started work. I just got their direct deposits of my pay every Thursday until I made the transition to the client's payroll then I never saw or heard from Aerotek again.

It was a smooth experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Temp agencies dont really care about you.
I think that can be said about every single employer on the planet. I've never seen a business that cared more about you than it did about making money.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
I think that can be said about every single employer on the planet. I've never seen a business that cared more about you than it did about making money.
I agree with this, but in no situation is it more evident that you are just a number and a piece of meat then a temp agency.

You are actually a product being bought and sold at a temp agency. At least as a full time employee, they at least throw you a few sick days and pretend like you have value.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 PM

841 posts, read 1,918,020 times
You can't rely on them to get you ANYTHING.
I was part of this one organization catering to mothers transitioning back to work.

Every time they called me or emailed me, it was to peak my interest in the job and get me hyper about it. The woman would push the job like it was the best thing since the wheel and tell me all the perks till I was so excited, thinking I was the only candidate.

Well, many times after her initial, are you interested email, I never heard from her again.

Finally I got a job with them for 10 bucks an hour. It was supposed to be temp to perm but wasn't, despite all the lies from her and the company that wanted to keep me dangling.

You'd be better off sitting with the phone book and calling companies and selling yourself and dealing directly with the rejection.

You feel like using them is doing something but it's not, except in rare cases. These days not even temp agencies have real jobs.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,021 times
Default Cool

I'm glad to hear that! I actually worked for Aerotek, on an assembly line putting together burners for almost exactly 1 year, then they laid alot of us on the curb. It was a different experience in that environment, but good to have. I'm only P-O'd because ever since I have had to go on unemployment (not morally correct the way I grew up). But again, good for you. I'm taking the direct hire approach myself now and alot of them seem esteemed. I get offered no less thatn 13.00/hour, which makes me feel bad for others with worse experiences.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:17 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I agree with this, but in no situation is it more evident that you are just a number and a piece of meat then a temp agency.

You are actually a product being bought and sold at a temp agency. At least as a full time employee, they at least throw you a few sick days and pretend like you have value.
And I'll agree with this... back when I was a temp it sucked to see the perm employees getting their monthly bonuses and profit sharing checks.

At least now I have the vacation and sick time and get those checks too... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuttner View Post
I'm glad to hear that! I actually worked for Aerotek, on an assembly line putting together burners for almost exactly 1 year, then they laid alot of us on the curb. It was a different experience in that environment, but good to have. I'm only P-O'd because ever since I have had to go on unemployment (not morally correct the way I grew up). But again, good for you. I'm taking the direct hire approach myself now and alot of them seem esteemed. I get offered no less thatn 13.00/hour, which makes me feel bad for others with worse experiences.
Yes I am grateful for how things worked out. It was a huge roll of the dice moving across the country on my own dime for a job that began with a temp agency...

It's been almost a year now (I left Georgia May 17th, 2011) and things have worked out better than I could ever have imagined.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
And I'll agree with this... back when I was a temp it sucked to see the perm employees getting their monthly bonuses and profit sharing checks.

At least now I have the vacation and sick time and get those checks too... LOL

I think what actually stung the most was being left out of things like Christmas parties, or company give aways or raffles.......I perma temped for a company owned by Disney, and they constantly got Disney merchandise and give aways, including actual movie cells and lithos, and I just sat there.

Certainly the lack of benefits sucked, but being discluded? That just flat out hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment