Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 05:01 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,341 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have a bit of a dilemma: I've been out of work since March and currently live in Phoenix. Since about early April I started looking for work in California, then as of early last month I started searching for work nationwide. I'm looking in a total of 16 cities, none of them Phoenix. The problem is I can't stand it here and living in this town is taking a toll on my mental and physical health. I revamped my resume and within the past week I've had four job bites, the most recent of which was today. The bite today was actually in Phoenix, as a recruiter found my resume on a job board and called me.

I know I really need work, but I feel hesitant to take a job here. I'm listed as a registered guest with an airline and thus can fly free, so I can get anywhere for an interview. I fear that if I were to get a job here, despite having income again, it will really hinder my pursuit of leaving. I fear that because I would have obligations here and wouldn't be able to go out of state as freely as I can now. I feel this way based on experience: I loathed my last job and applied elsewhere, then finally got an interview in the middle of peak season. I called out the day of the interview and a co-worker told me my supervisor was considering firing me for calling out, though wasn't aware of the interview.

Anyway, I'm not sure what to do, but if I am to call the recruiter back I need to do so by tomorrow. It pays $14/hour, which is fine in Phoenix, but the same position in other cities pays waaaay north of that figure. I have lots of time left on unemployment, but would rather get off it quickly. I'm not really sure what to do? Should I go ahead and interview? Should I explain that I'm more interested in leaving? Considering I've started hearing back from employers out of state, should I hold out for something better?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 05:48 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,414 times
I think it's best to try it for now, and see how it goes. It shows unemployment that you're honestly looking for work, even if they don't give you an offer. If they do give you an offer, it might not be what you want right now, but it'll close that unemployment gap. Granted, if you were only searching for a month or two, my answer would be different, but 7 months is a significant chunk of time out of work. Since you're from another state, these out-of-state employers might think you're desperate. Keep looking in the meantime, even if you do get the job, and perhaps more out-of-state employers may keep "biting" again in the next couple months from where you're looking.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:55 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
If your goal is to leave Phoenix, do it now. Sounds like you are miserable and working isn't going to fix it, its just going to cover it up for a while.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:05 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I think it's best to try it for now, and see how it goes. It shows unemployment that you're honestly looking for work, even if they don't give you an offer. If they do give you an offer, it might not be what you want right now, but it'll close that unemployment gap. Granted, if you were only searching for a month or two, my answer would be different, but 7 months is a significant chunk of time out of work. Since you're from another state, these out-of-state employers might think you're desperate. Keep looking in the meantime, even if you do get the job, and perhaps more out-of-state employers may keep "biting" again in the next couple months from where you're looking.
Yeah... I may need to see what advice I get here and sleep on it. It's 5 PM here, so it's probably too late to call her back... which is fine, because I wasn't planning on getting back to her today. My biggest fear is getting a job here, calling out of work 2-3 days for an interview and losing my job, which would make me lose unemployment too. This position here is temp-to-hire and I found out I can work those jobs and go back to unemployment once the time expires... unless I got fired or quit a new job. Too bad Arizona has some of the worst labor laws in the country, because they really can fire you for that here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
If your goal is to leave Phoenix, do it now. Sounds like you are miserable and working isn't going to fix it, its just going to cover it up for a while.
I thought about it, but I only have enough money to move cross-country once. I don't think I'd qualify for an apartment right now though.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:35 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
Why would you need to move cross country twice? I've moved around ALOT so forget about the cost, its a massive hassle. Just look into areas you would want to live and focus on that. Don't waste your time looking in areas you hate.

Thats like looking into companies you would never ever want too work for, applying and they are the only ones interested. Its a good problem but its still a problem.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:13 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Hi all,
I have a bit of a dilemma: I've been out of work since March and currently live in Phoenix. Since about early April I started looking for work in California, then as of early last month I started searching for work nationwide. I'm looking in a total of 16 cities, none of them Phoenix. The problem is I can't stand it here and living in this town is taking a toll on my mental and physical health. I revamped my resume and within the past week I've had four job bites, the most recent of which was today. The bite today was actually in Phoenix, as a recruiter found my resume on a job board and called me.

I know I really need work, but I feel hesitant to take a job here. I'm listed as a registered guest with an airline and thus can fly free, so I can get anywhere for an interview. I fear that if I were to get a job here, despite having income again, it will really hinder my pursuit of leaving. I fear that because I would have obligations here and wouldn't be able to go out of state as freely as I can now. I feel this way based on experience: I loathed my last job and applied elsewhere, then finally got an interview in the middle of peak season. I called out the day of the interview and a co-worker told me my supervisor was considering firing me for calling out, though wasn't aware of the interview.

Anyway, I'm not sure what to do, but if I am to call the recruiter back I need to do so by tomorrow. It pays $14/hour, which is fine in Phoenix, but the same position in other cities pays waaaay north of that figure. I have lots of time left on unemployment, but would rather get off it quickly. I'm not really sure what to do? Should I go ahead and interview? Should I explain that I'm more interested in leaving? Considering I've started hearing back from employers out of state, should I hold out for something better?

Thank you in advance.
In my honest opinion you have been out of work since March. It's now October, I'm guessing you're on unemployment? How are you supporting yourself? If you are on UC, you do have an end date for that and in this horribly tough economy, you NEED a job. At this point, regardless of your feelings about your city you live in, I wouldn't be picky. I'd go to the interview. I'd take the job if they offer it.

I can tell you it's easier to get a job when you have a job. Your mind is sharp, your skills are current, etc. etc..

Good luck!

Old 10-21-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
In my honest opinion you have been out of work since March. It's now October, I'm guessing you're on unemployment? How are you supporting yourself? If you are on UC, you do have an end date for that and in this horribly tough economy, you NEED a job. At this point, regardless of your feelings about your city you live in, I wouldn't be picky. I'd go to the interview. I'd take the job if they offer it.

I can tell you it's easier to get a job when you have a job. Your mind is sharp, your skills are current, etc. etc..

Good luck!
Thanks... I'm on unemployment and live in a dual-income household, so most of my expenses are shared. I slept on it and think I'm going to call just to feel it out. It's a massive blow to my pride, especially with another job bite this morning (this one from Chicago) but I'll see-- if I get this job-- if there's any way to safely get away for a couple days for an interview in another city. I don't like that idea, but I may have to do it.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:45 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,746 times
During this economy, you need to hustle to get any source of income. You can always move out of Phoenix, but how do you to plan on doing that if you don't have money? Try to think this out rationally instead of making your decision based on emotion.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
During this economy, you need to hustle to get any source of income. You can always move out of Phoenix, but how do you to plan on doing that if you don't have money? Try to think this out rationally instead of making your decision based on emotion.
I have enough in savings for all moving expenses, plus getting a new apartment. Again, what scares me is calling out 2-3 days for an interview, because I could get fired for that, then I would have no unemployment insurance... so if I didn't get the job I called out of work for, I'd be in a really bad situation.

Plus, emotional feelings toward this city aside... I get nauseated daily, my throat is always scratchy, my lungs feel like they have a layer of mud on them, I have developed a chronic cough, plus more and that's all directly attributed to Phoenix' climate. Getting too hot always has made me feel sick and 100-degree temps started in April and only recently ended, and all the dust in the air is giving me allergy/respiratory problems. Yes, I would love to move anywhere else without a job first, but I only have enough in savings to move once and must have a job secured before I go. DC seems to have the most jobs available, but aside from the bite in Phoenix I have job bites in Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, Washington and Boston. Where I go next is up in the air. I'm going to call the place back here in a bit, but I think the plan is to try to buy as much time as possible and push back the start date as long as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment