Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:41 PM

763 posts, read 2,605,711 times

Advertisements

I have been unemployed for almost a month. I have sent over two dozen resumes via email and filled out about a dozen or so online applications. I've applied to two agencies. Who, BTW, have YET to send me on ONE stinking interview.

The day after I was "let go", I sent my resume to another attorney here that does the same type of work that I had been doing at my other firm. He emailed me and asked if I could come in to his office to talk to him about possibilities. He didn't need additional staff, but he had something in the works that he thought I would be perfect for.

When I met with him, he told me that an Atlanta firm was planning to open a satellite office in our city and he wanted me to meet with a couple of the attorneys that were planning to work here, who I would be working for. I told him I would be happy to meet with them, so he set it up.

A couple of days later, I met with one of the Atlanta attorneys. It was a very positive meeting and it looks like the satellite office will happen at the first of the year and I feel certain they will offer me a position there. I am the ONLY support person that he's spoken with and the attorney here that recommended me to the Atlanta attorney is my biggest cheerleader for this job. So, that's why I feel it'll all come together in January.

My dilemma is.....I plan to continue to send resumes to jobs that I feel qualified for and I'll go for interviews if I'm called. HOWEVER, if one of these interviews turns into a bona fide job offer making good money and I turn it down on the possibility of this new job in January, this will screw up my unemployment benefits because I turned down a job. I have to keep applying for jobs because that's a requirement to keep receiving the unemployment.

Not sure what to do. ALL input and suggestions are appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 09:51 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
I have been unemployed for almost a month. I have sent over two dozen resumes via email and filled out about a dozen or so online applications. I've applied to two agencies. Who, BTW, have YET to send me on ONE stinking interview.

The day after I was "let go", I sent my resume to another attorney here that does the same type of work that I had been doing at my other firm. He emailed me and asked if I could come in to his office to talk to him about possibilities. He didn't need additional staff, but he had something in the works that he thought I would be perfect for.

When I met with him, he told me that an Atlanta firm was planning to open a satellite office in our city and he wanted me to meet with a couple of the attorneys that were planning to work here, who I would be working for. I told him I would be happy to meet with them, so he set it up.

A couple of days later, I met with one of the Atlanta attorneys. It was a very positive meeting and it looks like the satellite office will happen at the first of the year and I feel certain they will offer me a position there. I am the ONLY support person that he's spoken with and the attorney here that recommended me to the Atlanta attorney is my biggest cheerleader for this job. So, that's why I feel it'll all come together in January.

My dilemma is.....I plan to continue to send resumes to jobs that I feel qualified for and I'll go for interviews if I'm called. HOWEVER, if one of these interviews turns into a bona fide job offer making good money and I turn it down on the possibility of this new job in January, this will screw up my unemployment benefits because I turned down a job. I have to keep applying for jobs because that's a requirement to keep receiving the unemployment.

Never assume you have a job (even with a written offer) until you work the first day. The beginning of the year is a long way off and a lot can change in that time. Besides, if you keep looking, you might find something better.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,390,367 times
It sounds like you have a good lead for that job, however, until you are working do not count on it. Keep applying for jobs. I wish I had a lead that decent.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 PM

563 posts, read 1,270,745 times
Exactly. Besides, working is always better than collecting unemployment just on the amount of money coming in alone. Look at the long term and realize the more you spend not working, the more it drags on potential 401(k) savings, Social Security, IRA's etc.

Jump on any job that comes your way, and if by the time this other one opens in January any job you have doesn't feel like a good fit, or the new one pays more, then jump ship.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,788,256 times
I don't know how long it's been since your last unemployment cycle but things have changed. You need to go with the first sound job offer you receive because things can change at the drop of a hat. Besides, if they want you that bad, they'd being doing more to court you. At three months out, they need to have a solid idea of who's going to be doing what. Maybe you could moonlight to get a feel for both.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Never assume you have a job (even with a written offer) until you work the first day. The beginning of the year is a long way off and a lot can change in that time. Besides, if you keep looking, you might find something better.
I know, that's exactly what I've been wrestling with. #1 - I know in my mind that I cannot turn down a good offer at a job that I believe I would be happy with on the "maybe" of this job in January. #2 - the amount of unemployment $$$ I [will be] receiving is the max for our state, but it's also a huge reduction in what I was making at my former employer. #3 - with the holidays coming up, this is the WORST time for me to be short on funds because as we all know, bills and rent keeps on going regardless that it's Thanksgiving and Christmas! LOL!

I also do not have the luxury of taking it easy while looking for another job because we do not have a "nest egg" to pull from. I need to get back to work ASAP.

I suppose what I don't what to have to do is let this guy down after all that he's done for me hooking me up with this firm in Atlanta and setting up the meetings. It's not like they couldn't find another support person. I guess I need to keep that in the back of my mind.....

Old 10-17-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureMan View Post
Exactly. Besides, working is always better than collecting unemployment just on the amount of money coming in alone. Look at the long term and realize the more you spend not working, the more it drags on potential 401(k) savings, Social Security, IRA's etc.

Jump on any job that comes your way, and if by the time this other one opens in January any job you have doesn't feel like a good fit, or the new one pays more, then jump ship.
What I'd LOVE to do is find a temp job to get through the end of the year and until I see how this January job is going to go. I feel like I need something to fall back on or keep us afloat until then and unfortunately, the UI just isn't going to cut it for long.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I don't know how long it's been since your last unemployment cycle but things have changed. You need to go with the first sound job offer you receive because things can change at the drop of a hat. Besides, if they want you that bad, they'd being doing more to court you. At three months out, they need to have a solid idea of who's going to be doing what. Maybe you could moonlight to get a feel for both.
My thinking, too. At this point, everything is in the planning stages. They have found offices to lease, etc., but as for firming up the "firm", it's still on paper right now.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
It sounds like you have a good lead for that job, however, until you are working do not count on it. Keep applying for jobs. I wish I had a lead that decent.
I agree. Until I'm working there, I take nothing as carved in stone.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:03 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,588,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post

I would keep looking. That's a long way off, and not guaranteed. That office might not even open. If you find a job and take it and the other one does come through, if you're not happy with the job you found then you can always leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment